aaa GoodSource4SampleCDs? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 24-Dec-99  @  12:15 PM   -   GoodSource4SampleCDs?

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm looking for a good online source to purchase sample CDs. Most I am finding are located in Europe and don't seem to have an option for intl shipping. Does anyone know of any in the US? Or else an off the street store in NYC? The mega stores like SamAsh are too bustling with people to focus on listening to samples. I've seen soundsonline.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             26-Dec-99  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

jondl

Link?: Link

Sitar - the East West website is known as Sounds Online. Try this:

http://www.soundsonline.com/

R-Tek - thx for the tip. I was up late last night after the family went to bed having a *great* time with some prefab techno beat off a demo CD.

jondl

Message 12/22             26-Dec-99  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

sitar

Jondl..Thanks. I got it.

Message 13/22             28-Dec-99  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

k

Link?:  No link

dont ferget - WAVESURGEON - does what recycle does but WAAAAAAY cheaper -

out of interest what samples do people want the most ?... i think we should start a 'SAMPLE CHAT FORUM'

Message 14/22             28-Dec-99  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

R-Tek

Mmmmmm.........I`m always on the look out 4 synthy kinda stuff and individual drum hits (still looking 4 some er-1 hits though, if anyone knows where I can find em).

Message 15/22             29-Dec-99  @  07:45 AM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

sitar

Stuff that's really heavily layered like pads. And I heard Chemical Beats. Won't pick it up but there is a lot going on in those grooves from what I remember.

Message 16/22             29-Dec-99  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

Purple Haze

When hunting for samples I'm usually looking for individual drum hits (more accoustic than electronic), samples/phrases of accoustic instruments (bass, guitar, ...) and generally weird noises.

Message 17/22             29-Dec-99  @  08:29 AM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

sitar

Thing is, something like Chemical Beats has probably been used to death by now, and I imagine Samples from CDs can become cliche in a hurry. But to take a sample that has a lot of layers going on and try to make it unrecognizable AND good...well one might as well start from scratch. Pads I think can be used more often without making something sound cliche. So this leaves me asking...is there really much use for Sample CDs for musicians who want to make fresh sounds? Or are they more an expensive convenience? I think that for me, they might be more of an occasional tool. I'm not speaking from a lot of experience here. Any other opinos on the matter?

Message 18/22             29-Dec-99  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

sitar

Purple Haze...I guess we were writing at the same time. The acoustic instruments make sense. And 9 CDs of largely acoustic instruments came with my sampler, so I guess I don't think so much in terms of looking for acoustic instruments right now.

Message 19/22             31-Dec-99  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

Defector_Z

New to the Sampler world, I have not yet gotten too deep into sample CD's, but I think that some nice pads and synthetic strings would be very useful. I am interested in drum kits, but I have 46 from my RM1X and an ER1, so I mostly sample those and have fun. I have to agree with Sitar - I like to make my own sounds (which is why I am getting rid of my keyboard in favor of a MW XT or Virus), loops seem pointless to me unless I make the loop and sample it. I found a website called Drumology a while ago but now it is gone. Where'd it go? Only the shadow knows for sure.

Message 20/22             01-Jan-00  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: GoodSource4SampleCDs?

jondl

I started getting into working with loops about a half year ago and frankly I find it very inspiring. You can twist and turn a loop so many ways - with or without Wavesurgeon or ReCycle (as R-Tek pointed out) - that you can make something new out of it. Personally, I *like* being able to use other peoples performances to inspire ideas - otherwise I tend to fall into the same old boring habits. Also, as I've mentioned before, I tend to stay away from the pre-fab stuff and go for loops of instruments I've no particular to play myslef ;-)

A decent alternative to pre-fab drum loops are MIDI Files. You can map your own kits (great on an ASR-X Pro or other sampler) and burn your own loops! A MIDI file can be mixed, matched, mangled over and over again ad nauseum 'til you run out of idea's. Not a bad way to learn a style you're not accomplished at. Check out the Drum Grooves section here at DT for some inspiration along these very lines.

regards - and Happy New Year!

jondl

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)