aaa Live sequencer - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Live sequencer

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  06:48 AM   -   Live sequencer

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Within a years time I hope to be going live with my partner in dancemusic. I'm thinking hardware sequencer. I do all of my sequencing using Logic right now but have concerns about using a pc live.

Right now I have 2 possibilities. The one I'm asking about here is to use my E4XT ultra as my live sequencer. The other is to use my Roland XP-80. I know a lot of people use hardware like the RMX-1, or Roland's MC-XXs, and others. The type of music I am doing can best be described as Orbital-like. Does anyone here use their sampler to control live sets? I've never done this and if I can go without purchasing a hardware sequencer and use what I have without having to sacrifice spontaneity, I would be happy. Thanks much.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             15-Apr-00  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

R-Tek

Link?:  No link

not sure if that possible cos the XPs sequencer will only b able manage 16 part :0 ( However, 2 get round the midi thru thing, u could get a midi thru box from Phillip Rees or Midiman :- ) which won`t give any more timbrality but will mean a much shorter midi-chain.

Anyway, I`m gonna experiment with syncing my emu sequencer 2 my MPC tomorrow cos thats what I was planning on doing if I ever ran out of timbrality meself (dont think I will though - once I`ve got drums and bass down theres not much left) so I`ll report back then.

Message 12/22             15-Apr-00  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Let me know how it goes.

Message 13/22             16-Apr-00  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Live sequencer

R-Tek

jeez-us, this damn mpc  

OK, as far as I can tell from my preliminary ex[eriments, its worked damn fine, the timing is tight, it imports standard midi files with no corruption, yada yada yada. I had 2 disconnect my emus midi out from my mpc though cos the akai was getting confused and thought it could just play any damn thing that it wanted (your xp should b fine though, its an akai thing I`m sure. One more thing I aint resolved yet though is controller channels - I had the modwheel controlling filtering on a break on one channel and controlling a filter sweep on a string patch and it got confused and did the fiter sweep on both, which weren`t too funny but I`m prolly just doing something wrong - try it 4 yerself, just use dos formatted floppies as the common currny between your sequencers and u *should*, with a bit of experimentation, b fine :-)

Message 14/22             16-Apr-00  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

it's gonna be a challenge. where do the floppies come in? you mean to load songs into the sequencer?

Message 15/22             16-Apr-00  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

R-Tek

yeah, just so u can load the midi files up. I forgot 2 say that getting the 2 to sync was a piece of piss and totally sans drama or confusion so u could b onto a winner  

Message 16/22             16-Apr-00  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Love it!!! Woohoo!!!

Message 17/22             16-Apr-00  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Thanks R-Tek. It's gonna be a couple of days til I can really focus on it, but I'm excited it.

Message 18/22             19-Apr-00  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

Pongoid

As long as you're not using too much sysex info, and you're willing to break the sequences a little, so as to have a bit more spontanaeity, you can use a pair of mmt8's or an mc 50 mkii, and just record the info into the tracks zip zop zip, and you should have no problems whatsoever. Now I'm not sure what the mc 50 does while you're trying to load on the fly, but then again, I don't know how elaborite your sequences are and if you'll need to relaod after each tune/track/series of grooves/ whatever or not. But it is a thought. No need for conversion. Just record the info right in, and then spit it right back out. Easy peasy.

Ape

Message 19/22             20-Apr-00  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Thanks Pongoid. I will keep that info handy. I've never doe live with this type of equipment and appreciate your input. Ease of use and spontaneity is the thing I'm looking for.

Message 20/22             21-Apr-00  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

nobody

Link?: Link

damnit listen!!

ok then. pongoid saying a roland would do???  

me i'd go for a new Q80EXe.. but sitar, you know that.. actually i do plan to order one soon...

bah.

don't listen then. listen to the crickets.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)