aaa Sample your analogs! - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Sample your analogs!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 23-Nov-00  @  07:31 AM   -   Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have always been told to do it by other emu users, but never did. I sampled my sh-101, by using every C and F# . The preset when played and sequenced actualy sounds identical to the original. There is of course no clipping in the resonance, but i never was keen on that atribute of the 101's filter. Advantages include polyphony, and midi control. I think I'm going to sell it, and buy another vintage piece, and sample it's voices, and so on until i have a phat colection of vintage mono synth presets. I've listened to sample libraries , but they alwyas fall short. I made a saw and a sqaure preset. I layerd them and lowered the saw down an octave. It sounds just like my 101 with the sub osc. The emu filters are realy warm too. I think most of the comertial presets don't use enough samples. I only pitch shifted 3 1/2steps at most in each direction. Anyone want to buy a 101, I don't need it anymore!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/21             10-Dec-00  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

r-tek

wavetables are a piece of piss on the e4s - you can have a totally different set of modulations on each layer and whatnot. Pretty mental stuff, its kinda fun to just lift some fairly random samples, loop em up and then fiddle with em in the manner.why 2 samplers if you`ve never really used either then?

Message 12/21             10-Dec-00  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

I've got a waldorf microwave, but i really never use it. I thought i could sample the wave tables and use them in my sampler. I've gotten pretty good atthe looping part. How though do you assemble cycles together and make a wave table out of it. with no zero crossing problems. popping between cycles. I need to sell the waldorf. It's brand new and i really don't need it now that I have unleashed the power of my e4. I going to eat it on the waldorf. I paid $1200 for it 3 months ago. It's the 30 voice.

Message 13/21             10-Dec-00  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

Hey R-tek, how do i set up the e4 so that the filter rez takes effect on the voice in real time . right now when i tweak a controler it won't change the sound until a voice is retrigered.

Message 14/21             10-Dec-00  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

Ison

I would like to see a Wavetable Sampler.
If you can imagine a screen onto which a large grid is displayed and into which you can place samples that will be automatically wavetablized when all grids are filled with microsamples.
So clicking/popping phase etc are worked out when you initialize the table.
Next you could assign modulations to the table,say a stable triangle which then visibly can be seen to pass over the grid thus enabling the sample data stored at each grid position to sound sequentiall,so over and over the same samples would be played.
Or even a sine wave with varying amplitude and speed so that different samples over time would be played.
Or where you simply click on those gird positions you wish to sound sequentially and also for how long that particular sample should linger on before the next grid is accessed.
Sampling Wavetable Wavesequencer.
I guess you would want this as a desktop unit with a slopping front panel to prevent hours of unatural posture in front of a vertical rack.
Also you would like internal hardrive for convenience sake and also the possibility to connect another archiving storage device.
Since you would be dealing with very small snippets of sound for extended periods you may wish to have a phones output and a good graphical display of the waveform.
The complex function of Wavetablizing should be automatic but with compare and undo functions.
And you would need the ability to create modulation sources from scratch for bizarre properties of modulation.
Just some thoughts.

Message 15/21             11-Dec-00  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

you could impliment it into existing hardware, by coding an editor module, like truncate or loop, only it cuts out sections to be added to a wavetable or loop where the zero crossigs are matched. Then loop speed would have to be modulatable. you could do it by varying the sample rate playback. It does'nt require any major power, the data remains at the same sample rate, you just fluctuate the speed at which the samples are read using a controler.I'm sure there is another way. how does the JD-800 handle it, korgwavestation, or the microwave? Vector synthesis or wave sequencing. R-tek says it's easy.

How do you create the wave sequence and match the zero crossings without pops?

Message 16/21             11-Dec-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

Ison

After you assign the modulation parameters that sweep the table the software looks for the cyclical loop point of the modulator as it relates to samples within the table
Say a simple sine wave that accesses sample addreses causes them to play sequentially at some point the same samples will be initiated cylically.
You then initialize this table and all the samples within the table are automatically configured to reduce pops and other undesireables at a user definable level,you then listen to determine whether these calculations are acceptable or not and if needs be compare,redo,undo or store the table.
Since all manufacturers of Samplers already have a variety of filters implimented you may also wish to create filters that change not only traditional parameters such as cutoff and resonance over time but also filter type over time.
And then ditto with the effects.
All Multistage envelopes to control parameters are naturally well endowed with a variety of responses (Linear/Exponential 1,2,3...Other) per parameter.
The wish list goes on and on.

Message 17/21             11-Dec-00  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

So ho does r-tek pull it off. I sampled my microwave and made a loop, but how can i modulate the speed of the loop? How does R-tek make wavetables manually?

Message 18/21             11-Dec-00  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

r-tek

Its all in the realtime chart, the only limitations are what you do with controllers as all the sounds must be in the same preset.modulating the speed of the loop? My uw1 cannae do that.

Message 19/21             12-Dec-00  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

what realtime chart.? Do you just put each wave on a seperate group and then scroll through them using a controlerand a morphing filter?

Message 20/21             13-Dec-00  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

r-tek

Assign all the samples to a preset then go to preset edit, voices main and then scroll along to the realtime window - you can give each sample its own specific plot on the realtime chart with fades there - you can then use an LFO, Envelope or whatever assigned to "AmpXfd" in the cords screen which will interpolate between the sounds on the wavetable when you hold down the key. Then if you wish, you can choose to edit each voice and give each one their own complete set of cords including filters and envelopes and whatnot (stay away from the modulation setup to do the interpolatin tho) to creat some seriously freaky sounds. Then assign polyphony accordingly to the group (depending on how you set the fades, usually 2 notes will do it).Once you`ve seen what that can do, and then start thinking about all the other shit you can intergrate into that, you`ll never have a social life again.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)