aaa buying a new pc - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: buying a new pc

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  06:08 PM   -   buying a new pc

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm soon buying a new pc custom built. These people did me solid on the last one. Couple of questions:

Somebody suggested getting an Athlon chip instead of a Pentium. Is Athlon really better for digital audio and graphics? I would otherwise get a P3 850 Mhz. I also have to look into Athlon compatibility with Logic, Cake, and Layla. Anyone know of compatibility problems between Athlon and any music software?

Would I be better off in your opinions to get a scsi hard-drive with less storage space> Otherwise I am planning on getting a 30GB IDE 7200 rpm hd.

The motherboard will be an ASUS 133 bus and probably with the square pentium chip slot as opposed to the long rectangular one. Scsi or Athlon will change tat of course. Is there any difference between the two chip configurations? I'm told that Intel is phasing out the rectangular one in favor of the square one.

Also an ASUS GeForce 32mg video card. I need to check that for compatibility also.

Lastly I'm sticking with Windows 98 because I detect that Logic and Windows 2000 have not totally embraced eachother yet.

Any comments, answers, insights are more than welcome.  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/54             24-Jul-00  @  07:57 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Thanks guys, at least I've always assumed you're guys. If you're not, what are you doing tonight?  

Looks like I'm going today to do this thing. I'm going to check into scsi again, but it brings other issues into the game. Scsi is faster. The motherboard I'm getting is supposed to be very good. I'll check on the number of pci slots again. I am going to stay with Pentium for the same reason. I saw COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS between Athlon and Layla and the Athlons went right through the window....rather than Windows going through the Athlon. Aren't I the best??? I've heard from several sources that the Athlon IS better for Audio, but like I said, this system is going to be fast...if it works. Thanks again everyone.

Message 12/54             24-Jul-00  @  08:25 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

Defector Z

Link?:  No link

Sitar - I have yet to hear ANYONE say anything positive about the Athlon in an audio situation. Doesn't mean there isn't anything nice to be said, just relaying my findings. Also, if you are going to get one SCSI device, get everything SCSI. Again, general consensus (with dissenters) is that SCSI and IDE don't share their toys well in the sandbox. You might get lucky, but odds are not in your favor.

Also remember that SCSI is EXPENSIVE!!! VERY EXPENSIVE!!! It pretty much doubled the cost of my system. Cords and adapters are the worst (like if you need to go from ultrawide to narrow - or vice-versa - it's gonna cost you $30). Sucks, eh?

Message 13/54             24-Jul-00  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

99devils

It's not the Athlon CPU itself, it's just that current motherboards are crap. They don't like most audio cards. Once you get the audio into the box, my Athlon 700 blazes through operations in Sound Forge. But for now, stick to Intel. Go SCSI if you can afford it, as it'll up your track count and it's better at dealing with more than one drive at once (cd burning, in particular, runs smoother). The ABIT BE6 series boards I have heard good things about.

-Craig

Message 14/54             24-Jul-00  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

k

well, i thought the athalon's prob's were cos it runs on a 133 buss, and alot of cards cant deal with it

Message 15/54             24-Jul-00  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Thanks again guys (I won't go into that again). It's done. I went with the P3 850. Didn't want to put the extra money into scsi. Maybe that's penny smart/pound foolish but like I said above, the P350 128mg has handled everything I've thrown at it so far. So i'm way ahead of there already. I don't use a gizillion audio tracks. If I ever use 40+ audio tracks going at the same time for dance, please shoot me.

They are partitioning my drive for me, 5 gigs for the bootup partition just in case by some strange mystery a few 500mb games crawl into my computer....again. Damn, don't know how those varments get in there. The other 25 gigs are for music. I will probably get an external firewired drive down the road for the video stuff I'll be putting music to for my friend. If that turns out not to be the right solution I can add another hd internally.

DefectorZ, I hope your system gets up and running. Let us know. I'll let you know if mine actually works, but I have confidence. I'll be picking it up on Thursday. I only have to choose the monitor size. 19" is awefully deep and heavy. Might have to go for another 17". Not a big deal but I love playing games....um...I mean working on bigger screens.

Message 16/54             24-Jul-00  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

99devils

Kilo, don't the faster Coppermine CPUs run at 133mhz bus speed also? And it shouldn't matter, cause PCI is 66mhz anyway (I think it's 66mhz) no matter what the CPU bus runs at? Or am I way off here?

-Craig

Message 17/54             24-Jul-00  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

k

yup true they are, ive prolly got it wrapped round my arse as they say... but as i understand it alot of audio devices wont work with that buss speed of the cpu i presume cos of command cycles, not the actual pci buss movement... is this an urban myth??... anyone got firmer info cos i'm a tad busy to keep up right now, but i'm sure ive read that...

Message 18/54             24-Jul-00  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

Defector Z

I seem to remember hearing something about 'floating points' and that's why the AMD chips stumble.

Message 19/54             24-Jul-00  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

me

Link?: Link

Defector Z, You may want to rethink the last comment that you made. You remember hearing something about floating points being the downfall of AMD's is about as far from the truth as it gets. AMD's floating point calculations are better than Intel's, so for many audio applications such as soundforge, where floating point calculations determine how fast your audio is processed, AMD is the better solution. All you have to do is check out any PC magazine and they show you that. I am completely happy with my AMD 600, and it cost me a hell of a lot less than a Pentium. I currently use, Cubase, Acid, Soundforge and many other programs with no problems at all. I put the system together myself, and it saved me megabucks! If any of you are interested in building a system, all of the info is available on the net, and it only helps you to know how to work with your components, so when something goes wrong, you can fix the problem. SITAR- I'm just curious how much your system would cost? My system is the 600 overclocked to 750, an Asus mboard, 30gig, 7200 maxtor hard, vodoo 3d card, Gadgetlabs 824 sound card, 17inch monitor, and keyboard, mouse etc. My price $1600. Can anybody beat that for a bargain?

Message 20/54             24-Jul-00  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Me, I can't beat that except that I live smack in the middle of Manhattan so everything is more expensive than most other places on the planet...2k+ for rent in a descent place. Sick to live in this toilet. I payed 17K plus tax before the monitor. Monitor will cost me another $2-300. Asus Geforce deluxe 3d card in that....games being what they are   Hope it's compatible with Logic/Cakewalk. Otherwise I'll just have to play games the rest of my life.

Same hd I suspect...Maxtor 30 gig 7200. We both show taste. No sound card. Layla (which I have already) will handle everything. You got a good deal there, unless you're living in buttf*ck Illinois, in which case I'd say they're laughing all the way to the bank. :P

Good deal guy. If your goal in life is to make me jealous, you can retire.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 54 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)