aaa What makes Goa, Goa - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What makes Goa, Goa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  11:25 PM   -   What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I know its a place, and Ive listed to MP3.com examples, but all I come away with is speed techno. Theres obviously alot more going on, but what?

What are the rudiments of Goa, if theres such a thing, or the scales at work here/there.

If possible a grid definition, or any other pointers would be appreciated

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/68             05-Mar-00  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Link?:  Link

And in case anyone is interested, I'm thinking of creating a new musical form. It will combine Goa with basic Indian drumming known as tekkha (pronounced take-uh). To that I will add lyrics in a traditional form of Japanese poetry. Call it Goa-Tekkha-Haik.  

Message 12/68             05-Mar-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Sliding notes, huh? Possibly set the pitch bend on the synth/sampler/module to +/- 12 steps and draw the line in with Logic over a single held note? Add some mod wheel to get a waver. Or play the pitch bend wheel as well as you can then clean up the data in Logic. Hmmmm.

There's some Indian master musician here in StL that gives concerts and lessons. I can't think of his name right now, mental block. Imrat something.

Add some hammered-dulcimer and mandolin and you'd have Goa-Tekkha-Haik-Inthewoods.

Message 13/68             05-Mar-00  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

That is Ustad Imrat Khan!!! He's been teaching at Washington U. and University of St Louis for several years now. He was my teacher for about 17 years. I've been out of touch with him for a few years. Just had to do other things. Great human being with a tremendous sense of humor. He's the MAN.

Message 14/68             05-Mar-00  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Oh yes. That is a good idea. Fixing the pitch bend in logic. I don't want to do Indian music with my synths, but those flavors could be done that way if you or anyone wants. Me...I have 4 sitars   I'd have to get my callouses back.

Message 15/68             05-Mar-00  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, I was thinking the flavors, not to actually make anything "Indian."

Message 16/68             05-Mar-00  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Basslines! I can't remember if it was Bernie Worrell talking about some P-Funk work, or Shock-G from Digital Underground (who samples the hell outta P-Funk)or maybe both, doing basslines on a Minimoog almost entirely with pitch bend. Rubberbandy sounding stuff. That might be a cool thing to play with in Logic's Hyper Draw, too.

Message 17/68             06-Mar-00  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

A few years ago I was on the subway with my sitar in case. I was on my way to a gig. This guy starts asking me about the instrument and told me that he studied south indian music in india for a while but it involved too much time and he was a trumpet player. We got off on the same stop. Saying goodbye he asked me my name. Then I asked him his. He said Don Cherry. My mouth literally dropped open and I said "YOU'RE DON CHERRY?" It was him. He used to play with Ornette Coleman for many years. I heard he died about a year later. Nice guy and he didn't look very old at all.

Hyper draw. Being new to Logic I've only tried using it once for panning and it didn't seem to work. I was trying to create motion across the stereo field for a phrase. I'll have to go back to hyperdraw and figure out what it was I was missing. It looks pretty straight forward so I don't know why it didn't respond to what I was trying to do.

Message 18/68             06-Mar-00  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Don Cherry also was part of Old and New Dreams in the 80s with Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman and I forget who the fourth guy was.

Message 19/68             06-Mar-00  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Shit...you know Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden? Not many people know of Dewey Redman. I saw him play at the Village Gate. The show started at around midnight and there were maybe 10 people in the audience. Nat Hentoff was there to review the show I think and fell asleep. I think it was Nat Hentoff. The bass players' name was Cyrone or Tyrone or something like that. I used to have a couple of Dewey Redmans' CDs. Ear of the Behearer was one I think. I don't know Old and New Dreams. Maybe Ed Blackwell or some other drummer. sounds like the 3 of them would have had a drummer.

Message 20/68             06-Mar-00  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, it was Ed Blackwell. The band was a bunch Ornette Coleman's old sidemen after Ornette started hanging out with James Blood Ulmer, Ronald Shannon Jackson and that whole Harmelodic Jazz crowd. Anyway, Old & New Dreams put out at least 2 records on ECM back then. I used to split my listening time between punk/wave and avant garde jazz way back when.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 68 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)