aaa jungle beats - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: jungle beats

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 11-Aug-99  @  04:15 PM   -   jungle beats

phlow

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

lo.. could someone please post a d&b or jungle beat for me to learn from?
thanks
ian

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/42             12-Sep-99  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

chemical

Yer dude, with electronic composition there's a perception that there isn't really any music there. THe more I work on stuff the more musical it becomes. People don't just buy an instrument and play whatever is 'in', be it jazz, classical, blues, whatever.

THe programs and the toolz are (now) hardware for musicians. REmember when u used to think that you friend doing paino lessons was a dick?

note: this does not apply to the entry above, just a general comment spark by it.

Message 12/42             12-Sep-99  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

you also don't list any soundmaking equipment... so what will make the drums, basslines, synthsounds etc?? regardless of all the s/w you have, you need some sound sources

Message 13/42             14-Sep-99  @  07:33 AM   -  

bruceleehifi

As far as soundmaking equipment, I mentioned that I have (and play) the tabla (indian classical percusion), melodica (instrument played in dub/reggae ala Augustus Pablo), classical/electric/acoustic guitars, electric bass, and turntables. At this point I have been layering samples in cubase for a few days now and recording my tabla and melodica through various effects (flange, delay,, etc.) to layer on top of the breaks... Between my partner and I, we have some good material for samples - rare recordings of Nehru, old dub/roots reggae seven inches, north indian poetry and classical music, old jazz records, african drumming, etc. My questions were (1) regarding the choice of software for producing the music I have mentioned in my prior posting (abstract drum and bass, indian/middle eastern flavoured dub), and (2) what other equipment would be useful as far as tone/breakbeat generation and production? Do I need a drum machine, a bass station, or a synthesizer - or can I sample breaks from various records and instruments and tweak them, sample myself and friends for bass and drums (e.g.) on electric bass and drums), and work with samples alone - at least to start with?

Message 14/42             16-Sep-99  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

matt_venn

with your phat computer you can use soft synths to get some original sources, then fuck these over in your other packages and lay it down in your sequencer.
one to definately try out is generator (by native instruments) as this is rudeboy. you can simulate anything you want, and for bass lines, play low and through some distortion units. (also available within generator). i still get latency with it (so when i press a key it takes about 40ms) for it to make a noise, but you can control it in your sequencer, and if necessary hard disk record it.
outboard gear is always worth having, as it doesnt crash, always works, sounds cool. its also easier to get things down quickly, then mess till its right. this isnt to say that you cant do it on a computer, but i wouldnt rush into buying any hardware. check out unity (a software sampler) as well. native instruments also do reaktor, which is a cross between a sampler and a synth - v. powerful. but will take some learning to get the most out of it. i'd go round a mates house and let him/her show you what they do, then you can see whether you need to buy any 'real' hardware. if you are going to make just one buy, then consider getting a _very_ fat sampler eg. emu64k (or new emu ultra 5000) as these offer fat sampling and also the power of a synth, all with fx and very expandable.
well, hope thats been some help. if you want more just do a search for drum and bass and you'll get _loads_ of hits with sites giving advice on you how to do this and that.
laters Matt

Message 15/42             19-Sep-99  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

zhourenn

i'm in china,i don't konw jungle music.pepole in here
hear nothing about it.i want konw a less.what software
you use to make jungle music, what machine you think
is the fisrt choose.i only have a computer&keybord ,
and a sampler ,i don't have a lot of money.

Message 16/42             19-Sep-99  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

that is all you need a sequencer & sampler is enuff to get going

Message 17/42             22-Sep-99  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

so you fancy yourself as a bit of a Talvin Singh! Well asian drum and bass does seem to be 'in fashion' at the moment. I'm actually really glad that guy won the mercury music prize...he's been around for years but has'nt gained an amazing amount of recognition until now.
I like the idea of putting Urdu poetry over a devastating Ed Rush style b-line...original.
Get a sampler such as a Akai s3000xl or an A3000 which I have. I prefer the a3000 as it gives you lots of effects to mess around with, leaving less of a need to buy more outboard effects processors.
You can do everything from a decent sampler. You will also need a decent mixer though to start...try anything from 12:2 upwards.

Message 18/42             01-Oct-99  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

Kitpu

Hello world:
Can anyone help me to get my computer and keyboard talking to one another? I have Cubasis AV installed as well as Cake Walk home studio, and also Sound forge. I would really like to start using them but I don't know how. channel 1?, program 1? configure? go figure? I get lost. between reading the manuel for the software and for the keyboard...who knows? there must be an easy way. four steps would be nice. any tips from all you veteranss out there?

Message 19/42             01-Oct-99  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

teknohype

ok now, this question has been been boggling my mind since i began listenin to drum n bass about 4 years ago...
Do most drum n bass producers use drum machines? or do they just do some great innovative sampling? how does it work??

what types of drum machines and samplers are best fit for drum n bass/jungle ? and where can i get samples of these drum machine hits to use with a computer based drum sequencer?

so many questions, but i must ask one more...what are dubplates?

the young and ever curious drum n bass fan,
-bay

Message 20/42             06-Oct-99  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

raver

I've recently bought a S3000XL and I was thinking of maybe doing some jungle tracks. I've mainly been doing house/trance style stuff recently. My question is this. You've all heard the type of effect where you hear a vocal then the vocal stuttered. It's commonly used. I was just wondering do you use two samples, one unstuttered the other stuttered? Or can you use one sample and have it have different enevlope settings, therefore getting the stuttering effect? Hopefully I've explained this clearly enough for someone to understand. Thanks for any help!

Steve

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)