aaa dance music trends - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: dance music trends

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  12:26 PM   -   dance music trends

fresh

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

What are the current tempo ranges for the styles of dance that each of you are familiar with and how are they changing? What types of dance music are on the way out and where are we going in terms of popularity?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             21-Nov-99  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: dance music trends

nobody

Link?:  Link

most of my older d+b records are slower..yes...even if just a little bit.
i like 45's on 33 (some) pitched up to +6or7 or so...fun hard slowish beats..also i have started noticing some stuff that is like that to begin with..nice sounds

Message 12/31             21-Nov-99  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: dance music trends

fresh

As far as the narrow range of tempos is concerned, I don't know if it's just to please DJ's cuz I have plenty of dance albums that cover ranges of like 55-140. Now what's it about d'n'b specifically that gives us albums ranging only from 163-165? The d'n'b DJ mixes I have are the same tempo from beginning to end but I'm talking about the more general stuff like comps. I dunno just seems like d'n'b genre is very narrowly focused...but not in a bad way. Just thinkin out loud.

Message 13/31             21-Nov-99  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: dance music trends

R-Tek

Uhhhhhh.................there is actually a fair amount of half speed D+B out there and some stuff that weighs in around 155 as well.............Jungle has always operated at the higher end of the tempo spectrum and its just evolution really - look at house music, the tempo of that has gone right up since the turn of the decade. As far a BPMs being similar, it makes life easy 4 the dj cos it makes it a lot easier to get the pitch right of the tune u wanna mix in - if u gotta tune rollin` at +4 the tune u mix in will tend 2 normally fall at the right speed almost dead on one of the other pitch markings (+2,+3 etc.). Not always, but often.

Message 14/31             22-Nov-99  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: dance music trends

fresh

Have you heard of a band called Hive? I got turned on to them by hearing this song called Fallout (94 bpm) on their first album. It's real dark atmospheric breakbeat, like most of the rest of the album. Anyway so hoping to get more stuff like it I got their next album called "Devious Methods" and it turned out to be D'n'B. They are very experimental and do this chopping the tempo in half all over the place. Makes for a very interesting and dynamic style that I havn't heard too much of elsewhere. It's not for everyone but really worth a listen if you come accross it. I'd like to know of some of those 'half tempo' D'n'b bands/albums you are refering to. Well I guess I didn't make myself too clear on the whole tempo issue cuz it didn't seem to provoke the anticipated response. I'm not too good at explainin myself. Some of these responses did inspire me to try a few new things tho.

Message 15/31             22-Nov-99  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: dance music trends

R-Tek

...Justice has done some 1/2 speed cuts and one of the GLR sisters labels delves into the 80-120 range.....

Message 16/31             25-Nov-99  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: dance music trends

krisgot

Dancemusic's getting faster and faster and at some point it'll have to slow down again . But yeah, It's the DJ who dictates speed and where the trend is going. After all he started it back in the mid eighties when he said: "Hang on. Why I am playing Stock Aiken Waterman. It sucks. I'll make my own music!". Got himself an 808 and the rest is history. Since then we've nodding or sweating to house, techno, new beat, balaeric, rave, trance, progressive, garage, jungle and finally French house. Meanwhile hip hop was always doing its own thing. There's gotta be a dozen styles I didn't mention. Fill in the blanks if you will. And styles are important to keep track of dance music. Since the artist's name and the melody aren't important at all, we need labels put on the constant flow of new ideas. What's the next style? You guys decide! What you and me are making in our small budget studios could be the next dance floor bomb........ one thing for sure the DJ rules and he's here to stay. Hey Fresh... half beats.... sounds wicked.... like to check it out.

Message 17/31             25-Nov-99  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: dance music trends

fresh

Then don't miss "Increase The Beats Volume 2" from Thrive Records. It's a compilation with 11 slow breakbeat tracks by well known artists that are incredible. Tempos mostly about 90. Can't describe it. Dark, organic, dreamlike, full of bottom end. I love it. Cool artwork on it too.

Message 18/31             25-Nov-99  @  11:46 AM   -   RE: dance music trends

R-Tek

Check the stuff thats coming out of the "Nu-Breaks"(?) scene in the UK. Some of its kinda jungle at house tempos and some of it leans more towards electro...........

Message 19/31             25-Nov-99  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: dance music trends

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

R-tek, you're talking about nuskool breaks. Bad shit, me boy. Things are speeidng up and slowing down as well. Check out Super Collider, Head On. Slow, deep shit. No joke. A new direction in sound. Normally I'm not into vocals, but... well you just have to hear it. There's other stuff, too. Electro seems to be moving faster tan it ws five years ago, at least the Detroit stuff, but then look how fast the old po-ectro stuff was back in the day (showing my age here). I don't think it's so much a case of bpms, as much as mastering the medium, and using it more to it's full potetial (if there is such a thing) to accurately convey a feeling, fro one being to another. In the case of dance music, it's usually (hopefully) some sort of funky feeling. Fuck the rules and the trends, that's waht I say. Make your own trend. Diversity is a good thing. Don't worry about trying to predict what the cutting edge will be, and making it. You are your cutting edge. How sharp will you be if you just follow others?

Ape

Message 20/31             25-Nov-99  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: dance music trends

R-Tek

Ahhhh..."Nu-Skool...". Knew it was something like that.....

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)