aaa Get an 808 ? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Get an 808 ?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 16-Nov-00  @  07:04 PM   -   Get an 808 ?

gb

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So, I have SuperNova II, CS6X, K2000rs, Tr909 and a few other sound sources. I'll be getting a RM1x pretty soon, but I think I'll still be using Cakewalk for sequensing most of the time.

Given this setup, is there any point in getting a Tr808 ? I know somebody that has one for sale, and the 808s used to be hard to find (?) and I feel like rushing out to buy it.

What's making me hesitate is that I know the 808 doesn't do MIDI. Is it possible to sync the 808 to the rest of the equipment and will it be easy to use or am I setting myself up for more trouble than it's worth ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             21-Nov-00  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

gb

Link?: Link

(This is the URL I found Philip Rees at)

Message 12/22             21-Nov-00  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

Frostbyte

seems like what you're looking for  
808, I envy you!
And the stone age is the most beautiful, roll up another one. Oh, and get a partner if you really want to trip. Wish I hadn't waited so long to get one, best piece I ever got (Ok peeps, make up the jokes now 

Message 13/22             21-Nov-00  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

gb

Reading at Kenton's site now (thanks, peter)...

It seems that it's possible to modify the 808 to respond to MIDI notes and other stuff as well as timing. This would mean modifying the inside of the box, tho. What do you all think of that idea ? Is it going to far, or is such an 808 desirable ?

(I didn't buy the 808 to make money from selling it later - I want the sounds it makes...)

Message 14/22             21-Nov-00  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

Frostbyte

Personally, I wouldn't mod it, since the convertor will do the job. but then it's yours   Besides, you just got it, play a while with it and see how it integrates in your rig with the rees or kenton.

Message 15/22             21-Nov-00  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

gb

But the convertor will only do the sync...

Having full (well, partial) MIDI control, including velocity, would make the 808 more expressive and also suitable for sequensing.

I'm thinking out loud here... Please continue helping me decide what to do.

Message 16/22             21-Nov-00  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

Frostbyte

Where did you get the info on the mod? I don't know, I'd be reluctant. But then I don't really use a sequencer as master of all things. I like the fact you can have many sound source that can do their thing and you just shift them in some direction or just get on their case and tweak the fuck out of them. Take my JX-3P for instance, it's not synced to anything (apart if i'm using the built in seq.), still, it's one of the pieces I like the most. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is very usable as it is.

Message 17/22             22-Nov-00  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

casparproject

Don't bother w the mod. After all, one of the
greatest characteristics of the 808 is it's
sequencer.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 18/22             23-Nov-00  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

H

I've been out to lunch so to speak.Check out the doepfer MSY-1 midi to din sync box it's like $125 us.Or you could get the new FR mobius step sequencer w/ all sorts of extras for interfacing and controlling old and new gear all for $325 that thing is wicked.

the doepfer will take care of you for cheap.Midi in DIN sync out,exactly what you seek.

Message 19/22             24-Nov-00  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

gb

I found the Doepfer site (which is quite interesting) at the URL above.

No luck finding the FR mobius, tho. Who's making/distributing it ?

Message 20/22             24-Nov-00  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Get an 808 ?

Frostbyte

Future Retro, makers of 777. Looks awesome, do a search on google (always do searches on google)

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)