aaa RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 15-May-98  @  05:39 PM   -   RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Unless you can get a TB-303 for cheap, forget about it. If you want that 303 sound and feel, get Rebirth v1.5 (or higher) and buy a Roland MCR-8. The MCR-8 is a MIDI controller which can plug into your joystick port of your sound card (MIDI IN), It has 8 knobs and 8 sliders, both with dual function (so in essance you have 16 knobs and sliders, so if you really wanna get crazy, you can have 4 TB-303's).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/29             06-Jul-98  @  03:55 AM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

x2c4nrg

Check it out, I looked up the Phatboy and I found out that you can use the reso knobs and shit with your sampler and not just with software. Does any know more about this? I use an ASR-10 and would be sprung if the Phatboy would work with it. Does anyone know if it would or not? It is priced at $249 U.S. I am comparing the Phatboy to the MCR-8, which is $285 U.S. If you have an opinion, e-mail me or post it here 'cause I am interested.

Message 12/29             22-Jul-98  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

Jesus H Christ...I don't know how many times I have to say it...the Phatboy is shit...who cares if you can use the knobs with your sampler...you can do the same thing with the MCR-8...the MCR-8 has 4 modes: GS Control, MIDI Mixer, and 2 software modes. The phatboy has no bloody sliders, so don't think that it will be easy to control most of the stuff...

Use the 9 knobs (17 with dual function) for up to 4 TB-303's, and the sliders (9 of them, 17 with dual function) to control the drum machines. Use the buttons all over the place to control the pattern sequences, and the buttons in the lower hand corner to control the simple sequence (play, stop...). There's also a bunch of extra buttons you can use to turn certain things on and off...I like to program the buttons to do synth 1 on and off, PCF on and off, etc...it's all up to you.

The phatboy can't even due 10% of what I mentioned. Believe me, if you want that TB-303 feel, and love the feel of live performance, get a Roland MCR-8 and hook it up to RB-338. The Phatboy can kiss my phat ass.

Message 13/29             22-Jul-98  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

Here...all you Phatboy lovers...learn something...go to:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/6939/

It's Saynormore's MCR-8 homepage. It also includes a program to use with MIDI controllers which has unlimited RB-338 functions. An amazing program if you ask me.

Message 14/29             31-Jul-98  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

dsimpson

Why is everybody so excited by Phatboy
Yes its good for controlling things like MC303, but its a
bit pricey
Rebirth has a easy mapping fuction. Why not use a
Novation basstation keyboard. They are really cheap
second hand, and I bet loads of you had one before
rebirth for that Acid sounds.
Its got shit loads of knobs to control rebirth and it also does pretty good bass sounds on its own.

Message 15/29             31-Jul-98  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

Check out my webpage for more information on the Roland MCR-8. There will soon be more pictures...

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/3068/smek.htm

Message 16/29             28-Aug-98  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

cyborg0

Well, anyone ever try the pc1600? If you have other gear, i think it is much better..although I DO
like the knobs on the mcr-8..But, can the mcr-8 do sysex control? OTOH, I DO like the dual function of the mcr8..pretty cool..maybe ill buy one of those too..
rob

Message 17/29             28-Aug-98  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

The Yamaha PC1600 is shit as well...it's only got sliders...with those you don't get the whole feel of the 303...

Message 18/29             29-Aug-98  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

x2c4nrg

Damn! You really love that MCR-8 dont you? Calm down. Na, but for real...I want one!!!

Message 19/29             29-Aug-98  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pedicelli

I praise my MCR-8 and everything else in inferior!!!!!!!!  

(I even kiss it before going to bed....it's the new silver box!)

.....except it's kinda greyish....standard modern Roland colour..

Message 20/29             23-Sep-98  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: RB-338 & the Roland MCR-8

pimpinstyle

I don't own ReBirth(yet) but plan on purchasing it, and I was wondering if using the MCR-8 with Rebirth required any other hardware/software, and how difficult it is.
Thnx,
Rhett

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)