aaa Roland SP-808 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Roland SP-808

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 29-Apr-99  @  09:47 AM   -   Roland SP-808

dan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A guy is selling his SP-808 for $750, and I was wondering if thats a good price for it. Also does anyone have an Sp-808 or have used one , can tell me if it's worth it. I'd appreaciate the advice, Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/25             30-Apr-99  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

ren

I used to Dj with and it crashed everytime. But I had the Emu-1200 before this and it sounds better than the sp-808, but it was more reliable. I'm thinking of selling it though. Any offers over $1200 Canadian? Buy it by it by it by it bit by it. I dropped only twice when I was high!!! But it doesn't work that much anymore. I should ask $3000 for it.

Message 12/25             30-Apr-99  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

Sp808

I am an ex Roland rep and I used to work for Roland. Don't think about buying the box! We had so many problems with this box. We had sent out 9000 units the first month and 4200 had recalls. Now I could fix it for for you if you buy it. I used to be a tech here in LA. But parts will cost you 800-850 bucks. It's not that hard for me to do this because I ripped off half of their inventory. I'm here to make a buck. A guys gotta eat and shit right? Man i need the money. Just send me the money if you think you want it fixed. I can solder shit in a week or two. But I usually don't send units back. I keep that shit!!! And sell it. So I basically fuck you over....chump. Send me the money. Serously I fix shit all the time and shit. So drop me a line and shit if you want that shit modified and shit. I would like it if you send me cash and shit. So shit send me some money if you want that fuckin shit fixed and shit. I fixed this guys shit from San Fran about a month ago, but he calls me all the time to tell me that that shit doesn't even turn on anymore. I don't give a fuck and shit. I got his fucking cash and shit. So fucking email my ass if you want me to tweak that fucking shit and i'll send it back to you when I get around to it and shit.

peace out.

peace out ya'll

Message 13/25             30-Apr-99  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

I send you some shit if you like...

Message 14/25             30-Apr-99  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

jcu3

I'll send you a piece of shit if you want dumb ass! That was the stupidst message I've ever read....

Message 15/25             30-Apr-99  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

dan

Seriously now, is this thing worth $750, I've read the first replies and Im getting that it isn't very good. Than again the 808 was voted runner up for the best samplers of 1998 behind Yamaha's S3000v2.So it has to be somewhat good?. Thanks for your replies(except for that dumb ass, long post) hope to hear from others on their opinions on this unit.Thanks

Message 16/25             02-May-99  @  07:46 AM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

planetalgon

I think if there were that many problems with the OS still, you would hear about it more often. I've heard of dropouts when you stretch the polyphony, but that goes for ANYthing with a limit. If you don't take the offer dan, please foreward it to me. I'm having trouble locating one. OK, here's a question for all you other live performers: If your going to run a real complex mix live and want a real reliable set up, would you rather...1)Run a sequencer that drives all of your gear and play along with it, 2)Record anything you can't play to a hard disk recorder like the Fostex D-90 and just mute the tracks you want to play live., 3)Play it all from an SP-808 and just swap disks during performance...I think that I would opt for #2 because it seems the most solid and simple, but I wish that someone could convince me that #3 would work. The #1 method is so f--ing hard to do and very stressful so I'm looking into these other two options. I really want the kind of interaction that the SP-808 is intended for. I saw The Crystal Method play live with the Fostex D-90 Technique and it just seems to work. The viewpoints on the SP-808 are so varied that it's hard to get a straight answer. I think a lot of people expect to get a box that just sounds great without a whole lot of fuss. I've never had anything like that, but hey I wouldn't want to deal with clicks either. What do you think?

Message 17/25             02-May-99  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

jcu3

I'd quite worring about the "clicks" on the 808. If a user tries to trim loops on the Sp-808 you may end up with alot of clicks. But If I owned the machine i'd use a wave editor like Sound Forge, and edit the loops that way. SInce you can get down really tight on your loops and never have to worry about clicks. And then digital transfer them via digital coax input on the expansion board of the 808. Does that $750 include the expansion board? The only thing that would drive me nuts is only having 4 parts to mute and trigger. How would you do that? Drum kit on the first slider? Bass line on slider 2? etc, etc... That would suck if you want to drop out some hihats through the track and couldn't. You'de half to waste a whole nother track and/or trigger another loop with out the hihats implemented...... sounds really challenging to me. Actually more like brain damage..... Anyhow, i'd thought i'd post my two cents. Feel free to tell me to go to hell if you'de like.

Message 18/25             02-May-99  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

planetalgon

I think that given the SP-808's lack of tracks, and huge memory. You'd be better off recording a loop with and without that hi-hat. That also opens up the opertunity to do a fill at the end of one loop if you like and not have to be tapping like mad to get it in place, if your using other controllers as well for example. But hey, I don't own one. That's just what I do with loops now. You need gobs of memory (128 MB or more at times) but with the SP-808 you wouldn't have much to worry about, right?

Message 19/25             02-May-99  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

jcu3

I'm not too sure on this SP-808 issue. To me this seems like a really ass backwards way to work. But for some artists this may be the solution there looking for. I'd think that this 808 thing would be really powerfull if you sat down with it for a few months. I hope you find the information your looking for.

Message 20/25             03-May-99  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

Dan

THanks to all for your input, I think Im going to buy it, Im just waiting for the guy to mail me back and confirm the deal.Thanks again to all!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)