aaa Real 303 / sequencer clone - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 01-Feb-00  @  06:26 PM   -   Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hi folks. I am a builder of several TB303 clones, and I've designed several commercial midi/cv units and sequencer designs.

My next project is a new 303 clone. Unlike existing clones, it will use the original 303 circuitry. So being more than just a clone, it will be a REAL 303. In addition, I will be cloning the sequencer itself to the exact specs of the original. The case will be just larger than the original 303 box, with a very similar control layout.

This unit will eventually be available for sale. I will build a few and sell them if anyone is interested.

My question is, if I were to make the *perfect* 303 clone, what extras should it have?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/63             05-Feb-00  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

Link?:  No link

Schredded, I think I have been taken slightly out of context.

The idea of building a machine with the same circuitry and sequencer but with a whole lot more to offer such as LFO's and the like is probably long overdue in the sense that so many still love the original (myself included). What I don't get is the need to link the product with the original. A true replica would have no additions. This product has the potential to be far better than the original if built well... that is obvious. My point is why do "clones" always have to be related to the 303. Give it a whole new name, and let it sell itself. People are going to know what it is regardless of what you call it.

Call me a trophy hunter if you will, but I love my 303 and I love making music utilising all my gear not just the 303.

Message 12/63             06-Feb-00  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

Thanks for clearing that up. 303 is so great IMO that an identicle clone is a perfect idea. New (same) parts = greater longevity. That is, if the components are in fact new. Seems to me you agree, but that the name should be unrelated as a subterfuge for better sales? If it's a clone that glorifies a 303, then how can it not be related. Honestly, how pretentious. Anyway, I tend to get aggravated by ignorance from people who love to post negatively about 303's, always talking about prices compared to something else which they don't have either or whatever. Figured you were one of them. I was wrong. Got a little jumpy here. I'll call you a Trophy collecter if you are one, or if that's what you want to be called:-) I like using other gear too.

Message 13/63             10-Feb-00  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

Pretentious? I don't agree.Sorry.

It's not that I have anything against a similar name, but that is the way everyone goes... Tee Bee; TBS 303 (something like that)... - nothing against these machines

Message 14/63             10-Feb-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chim Chim

It's got to come in pink, or me no buy it  

Message 15/63             11-Feb-00  @  06:49 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?: Link

Heh.. thanks for your input lads.

Any of you have any comments on the sequencer itself? I am looking for opinions on how the sequencer should be: should it be just like the original? What extra functionality should it have?

I am currently working on the sequencer section of the design. I got the pattern playback code finished last night; connected it up to my 303 clone and WOW! REAL 303 sequences. :-)

Thinking of some real hot features. How about the ability to save patterns via sysex? More pattern memory than on the original?

Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming, this is my market research... :-)

Message 16/63             11-Feb-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

The more memory and storage available the better for sure. Add programmable accents and flam (909ish). Give it the unique ability to play sequences from Z to A alla reverse! This could be a creative tool when deconstructing a random bass line. Cheers mate!

Message 17/63             11-Feb-00  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

chim de chim

oh know do we have a tootless Brit again here? nice teeth!

Message 18/63             11-Feb-00  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

whatever chim guy...

How about a memory that won't lose patterns coz the batteries are taken out (and if you like the idea of haveing pattersn randomly entered coz the 303 is stored batteryless, then you'd have to have a 'random create' type button I guess).

Question:
What dimesions are you looking at, and what sort of material for the cae. It should be more durable that the OG. My tb has not paint worn off around the knobs, but what bugs me is the little chips on the coners due to the way the two pieces of the case over lap, and the platic is weaker. I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Message 19/63             14-Feb-00  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?:  Link

Yeah no problem, the memory devices I intend to use will be EEPROM-based and will retain their memory even if you remove them completely! Random pattern functions will be there too.

As for the case, it depends what we can get. Metal construction though. We will probably use something that's already available, and have a custom front panel made for it. Or something.

Keep those ideas coming in... don't foget u can email me at the above ad.

Cheers, Trev

Message 20/63             14-Feb-00  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

chimmy chim

twevor, me wants one with pink Pokeman on it..me tinks it would be pwetty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 63 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)