aaa Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 21-May-01  @  10:48 AM   -   Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Rico Rider

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm quite new to all this. I know I like most kinds of dance music but can't seem to figure out the definition of all the categories of dance music. What's drum'n'bass? Us and UK garage? Jungle? Is there some kind of website where I can get the definition of all those styles. Maybe with audio samples of typical songs of each style? It might sound stupid but it would be interesting to know what kind of dance music I like the most...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/21             22-May-01  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

influx

Link?:  Link

well..theyre really all the same thing sorta, no?

but yeah...the older ragga/jump up stuff is what I see as "jungle" whereas the newer techstep etcetera is more Drum N bass...more stripped down sounds..minimal type stuff...

sitar..I TRY to write faster stuff but it sounds so CRAP compared to the good stuff that I just give up. got quite a few 165+ tracks sittin around unfinished, some with good sounds in em. just dont know where to go

Message 12/21             23-May-01  @  07:19 AM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Espoo2

Link?:  No link

As far as UK and US garage go, US garage seems to be basically a slightly more funky house beat (4/4) with DnB style bass, as far as I can tell. I havent heard any new US garage tunes in while... seems to be slowing down.

UK Garage is totally different. Its more on the R&B tip, but with more complex beats and modern effects. I actually got to hear a UK garage dj and MC live for the first time this weekend. I was in a clun in houston and in the jungle room the dj was playing some almost garage stuff in his jungle set, so I asked him if he would play some straight up garage and he delivered. Damn. He and his friend tore it up, rhyming and freestyling... good stuff.

Message 13/21             25-May-01  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

roller8

Link?: Link

Shit, I'm still unclear on lots of style divisions. I thought jungle was like a faster dnb with fast rap-like MCing over top? Oh well. The term Garage seems to have been borrowed yet again from what I thought used to be the rough unpolished style of funk/disco-like grooves set to a sorta 4 beat step type of thing. But I think they call that filter house now... WTF? I don't know...

Message 14/21             25-May-01  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

infrasound

jungles slower if anything, Damballah was kind of there but it dont neccessarily have to have all the rudeboy soundlicks, its kinda more erratic I suppose - snares all over the shop but rolling with deep bass. Maybe you could say jungle - think Kingston, Jamaica; DnB - think nice middle-class suburb of Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey.

Message 15/21             28-May-01  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

I've heard some real fast Jungle, like up in the 190s, but I've heard jungle that's slower than 170, more like 130s or 40s. "Are We Here?", the track by Orbital on Snivilization uses jungle rhythms. I think there are very distinct sounding jungle kits as well. I've recognized some right away, but then there are kits that are not typical as well. I think it's basically do what you want and let experts sort it all out.

Message 16/21             28-May-01  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sedation

turntables have pich control :P

i can listen to a LOT of that stuff at 180 bpm if i choose, hehe

Message 17/21             28-May-01  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sedation

ah sitar.. i've heard some DJ types play sets of 45's at 33.. well, one or two. not like i know shit.. just saying.. it's all the same though isn't it? i don't care what sounds are -called- so much..

but jungle, that's like old DJ SS stuff, rollers convention EPs.. that shit was all jungle 5, 6 years ago yes? oops, it says 1994. silly me

Message 18/21             28-May-01  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

k

thats jungle - yard style - dancehall jungle

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 19/21             28-May-01  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

Yea that snare is very recognizable for me as is the bass and kick.

Message 20/21             28-May-01  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

k

here's some classic drum & bass

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)