aaa Are new synths boring !! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

13-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Are new synths boring !!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 18-Dec-01  @  02:32 AM   -   Are new synths boring !!

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this and other synth forums are quite quiet. personaly nothing much has happened to excite me for a while hardware wise since the indie houses established themselves over the mid 90's- do you think synths now are getting boring?

is it lack of imagination? - or have the manufacturers really just exhausted practical new forms of combinations or new angles for established synthesis?

if there is nothing left to be 'new' in the way VA or FM or Romplers were, then whats left for manufacturers such as korg, roland, e-mu, ensonique, yamaha etc...

some cool little bargain boxes have come like the ER & ES from korg... any other nominations for cool reent/new stuff?

or.. si this a symptom of updatable OS's?.. another angle.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/41             05-Jan-02  @  04:59 AM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

influx

yeah..that wavesequencing shit is pretty cool on the WS

but its not "samples" tech...you cant load your own sounds in there

Message 12/41             05-Jan-02  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nothingnewhere

Link?: Link

somebody found a way to burn pcmcia cards with samples that could be loaded by wavestation SR (maybe EX's) so er... someone buy me a wavestation and ill tell you all about it :-)

i think that the SY-99's (and if there was a TG99, im not sure) let you load samples that you can fm with other samples. id like to get one, but every time ive seen one theyre like 1200$ or some other crazy shit.

Message 13/41             05-Jan-02  @  06:28 AM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nothingnewhere

what i want is a waldorf sampler, with wavetables and some fm oprions and stuff. mmm. they oughta do it, though i dont think i could aford it if they did.

really i'm fine with synth techology today, its just the prices of the things i dont like.

Message 14/41             05-Jan-02  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nomad

can reaktor do that sort of stuff? fm'ing samples i mean. the dss-1 will allow you to use sync on two samples, though i haven't really found it that useful (partially because the autobend [pitch envelope] only goes up and down about an octave)...

btw, the 'wave sequencing' in the wavestation is (afaik) pretty much the same as the wavetable synthesis in the microwaves, transwaves in ensoniq's ASRs, and the wavetable
stuff in the prophet vs, and all three of those (afaik) allow you to download your own wavetables to it...

that wavestation thing is called 'frontal lobe', if i'm not mistaken...

Message 15/41             05-Jan-02  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

k

Link?:  No link

yeah well the wavestation team with korg all came from sequential when they went down the shitter. So it is really the 'further development' of the prophet.

Message 16/41             08-Jan-02  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

DARKSTAR!!
I guess its not especially inovative but it is cheap!!! and sounds awesome by the way. Darkstar+Filter factory+MoFx WOW for 400 bucks worth of gear it is pretty amazing when I get my pc back together I'll record some demos for ya'll to enjoy

Message 17/41             08-Jan-02  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

milan

maybe (just maybe) this thread should be called "are new synth users boring?".

i mean, we do have some amazing posibilities with wavetable and additive and fm and formant synthesis, but do you hear many unique and inspiring sounds these days? like nomad pointed out, they mostly seem to get used for emulation of stuff that has been done already.
maybe i´m just listening to wrong music, so please tell me if i´m wrong.

i´m starting to get into wavetable stuff on my uQ and am finding new ways to change sounds over time, like i couldnt do before with analog synths. maybe if we try to create new sounds it will lead us into creating new forms of music which will make use of them? same as with senoniq´s chord portamento perhaps, or xoxos´s new-blend style, i also would like to hear some new styles coming out, not just another sub-sub-sub-genra or something. maybe more creative use of sound sources can lead to that.

its just an idea i had. maybe its worth considering...

thanx to all the DT peeps for inspiration, M.

Message 18/41             08-Jan-02  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nothingnewhere

im already there milan. or atleast id like to think so. but sometimes old sounds are fun.

Message 19/41             08-Jan-02  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

99devils

Some of those styles are impossible to program without a degree in acoustical physics!! I had a K5000 for a year and couldn't get shit out of it. And I have a comp. science degree!

How's about they make that shit easy to use?  

-Craig

Message 20/41             08-Jan-02  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nothingnewhere

the easier something gets to use, the less complex it will sound. a 303 is damn easy to program, but it always sounds the same you know?

i want to get either a K5m (more likely cause im broke) or K5000 and play with it for a while. looks like fun.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)