aaa Karma or Virus? Advice needed - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 20-Dec-01  @  10:45 PM   -   Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Ryan Irwin

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Im interested in purchasing one of these two synths because they are in the same price range. This will be my first synth and I am not sure if I need the features of the Karma workstation or just a straight up synth like the Virus. I am interested in the sonic possibilities and MIDI sequencing features of the Karma but if I am sequencing and sampling using Logic software would I be better suited for the Virus?

My main concern is sound quality, specifically bass lines for dance music but also Im looking to get as many sounds as possible from one synth. Does the Karma's MOSS expansion card come even close to the Virus in generating analog-like sounds? Also, which has better drum sounds?

Which would be better for interfacing with Logic sequencing and sampling software? I want to be able to play with samples using the keyboard. Also, which would be better suited for use with a 24bit/96khz sound card?

I know that you can expand the sound sets on the Karma with the expansion cards. Virus I believe is not expandable. Is this a limitation?

Note that I will be using the synth for home studio production, not for live performance. I am looking for ease of use (i have never had a synth before), sound quality and possibilities, and ability to interface with Logic sequencing and sampling software. Any advice would be much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/36             13-Feb-02  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

influx

Link?:  Link

ahahaha %700!!! those were supposed to be dollar signs

hehe. 7 viriii!!! 7 or 8 Novas!!!! woohooo!!!

Message 12/36             14-Feb-02  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Maarten

Link?: Link

Thanks for pointing that out Craig :P

Message 13/36             22-Feb-02  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

onemind

TRITON le....?

Message 14/36             24-Feb-02  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

realtrance

influx has excellent advice here. If you're new to buying synths, though, be careful to prep yourself for buying used. For the most part it works but don't go in eyes closed and uninformed, is all I'm saying. Regulars here can offer you both good advice and possibly some good leads on some good used gear from reputable sources.

rt

Message 15/36             08-Mar-02  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Brett B

i have sold many synths on e-bay and bought many on e-bay. Buy from someone with lots of transactions and good feedback, and you should be ok. No one mentioned trinity, or wavestation. Those are great sounding. I would get a trinity or triton with the moss card if I had to go back and do it again. You get a powerful sequencer , fx, and analog modeling and sampling if you have that option. If karma is in your budget, you could buy a used trinity that is maxed out and sounds alot like a triton with great fx, and a used analog modular. But if you want a one stop shop for all those sounds, buy a Korg Oasys card and you would have all the sounds from the triton, the fx from the trinity, the drums from ther ER-a, and the analog modeling of the profecy, z1 and EA-1. you get twelve parts with four fx per part. It's ADAT i/o and spdif only though. Two on ebay for under $400.

Message 16/36             08-Mar-02  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Brett B

here is alink with some audio

Message 17/36             08-Mar-02  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

influx

Link?:  Link

"It's ADAT i/o and spdif only though. Two on ebay for under $400"

actually, no...stereo analog IO, too on 1/4" unbalanced

Message 18/36             08-Mar-02  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Brett B

that is good to know. I think I am going to track one down myself. I like the idea of a mutli channel fx unit as well as the synth sounds.

Message 19/36             08-Mar-02  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Brett B

those analog AD's are 24bit 128oversampling as well, and even 128 oversampling on the DA's. some cards run 8 times oversampling on the outputs. While i was at the page I did listen to the Kharma mp3s. Damn that is a nice synth. The arpegios supposibly allow you to play realistic guitar patterns etc. I'll have to go to a synth shop and play on one now to see how it all works.. Hell, Herbie Hancock is using one now on Tour, and he's a monster piano player. I might get his new albumn just out of pure curiosity.

Message 20/36             08-Mar-02  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Brett B

ok, listened to all the mp3's on the kharma and watched the video. I am sold, that thing rocks. I could almost hear all the textures and layered sounds that Hybrid creates/ They use The Triton for a lot of their synth parts, at least that is what they us when they came . We rented two for them for their live set but the crew didn't get it set up right and they ended up just spinning and doing som stuff on the mpc's. I am getting one of those ASAFP. And it supports the Z1 moss card for 6 voices of analog modeling. The oasys is cheap, but those realtime arps and chord stuff on the kharma are mind bending.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)