aaa romplers - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: romplers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 17-Mar-02  @  11:27 AM   -   romplers

panama

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

IMO, well, after getting my JV-1010 to work with my midi/Sounddiver setup... I've come to the conclusion, that in order for a mix to sound BIG - One would need to invest a lot $$$$ in buying a ROMpler of some sort.

Anything that Roland has made beyond the JV-1080 is top notch for making bigger mixes.

It's the icing on the cake (thoose over tones and textures that glue chunks of music together and make 'em flow)... ALL there ready to be tweaked and mangled.... WITH the digital upfront edge.

sanctity

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/45             26-Mar-02  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: romplers

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I've used them, and real synthesizers, and know the difference.

Ape

Message 12/45             26-Mar-02  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: romplers

realtrance

Pongo,

What is the difference?

Thanks,

rt

Message 13/45             26-Mar-02  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: romplers

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, sorry Pongo... but i could put you in a room with my k2000 and you'd still be able to create new sounds 5 years later if you were making them every day for 8 hours a day.

while we're on the subject - NI's FM7 is a superb pad machine... wondeful ambient textures.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/45             26-Mar-02  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: romplers

Pongoid

Yes it is, but I wouldn't call the K2000 a rompler, or the fm7 either.

Romplers are typically devices using a sampled synth sound, and offering some basic editing feature, like the Roland JV series, or the Yamaha CS1X, or Some of the older Kurzweil modules, or the Korg M1, or a whole list of others. The K2000 relies on a chunk of sampled ROM as an oscillation type source, but then apllies some of the heaviest modulation facilities, and sound tweaking options I've ever seen in any synth, as well as the ability to add to that sample with a minor modification. Thus I don't put the k2000 in the same class as the Trinity.

The Trinity had some minor tweakability, but it's not like starting with a basic wave form, then adding another, and then maybe using one to modulate another, then filtering it, and then, well you get the picture. It's not the Prophecy. Essentially the majority of the sounds in a Rompler are presets and stay pretty much as presets. You tweak them a little, but essentially they are sampled sounds that were cooked up in some synth manufacturer's labs from big modulars, or a Kyma system, or stuff that the public doesn't hear about, then burnt in as READ ONLY MEMORY that cannot be altered/tweeked/ modified. Synthesizers are normally devices that let you start from scratch, and build the sound just the way you want it from start to finish. You want big? You make big. You want small? You make small. You want wierd, interesting, and original? You work at it, but you can do it. If I was working in a high volume studio, where the goal is to just get the project done, where individuality or uniqueness is of no concern as long as it fills the clients' needs, I could see the use of one or several romplers, and then buying updates from time to time, as artistry has absolutle nothing to do with the job. It's just prostitution of sound, using simple formulae (if you know them) to induce moods, and peak momentary interest in a product, for the purpose of selling it. Romplers are great for that. (Kinda reminds me of trance. Why is that? Oh well, I digress.) Synthesizers are artists's tools for creating original works in sound. How much more would you like me to explain?

Ape

Message 15/45             26-Mar-02  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: romplers

influx

elitist

but I definitely can not argue with ya 

Message 16/45             26-Mar-02  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: romplers

realtrance

OK understood.

As you say, though, if you treat the sample simply as a sound generating source (choose "Saw Wave," say), can't you consider the sound engines from korg/yamaha/roland sufficiently synthesizer-like to be functional as true synthesizers? Many people do, but if I understand your info correctly, said synthesizers from a true electronic artist's point of view are severely limited in what they can provide for real sound sculpting.....?

The problem also, though, is that with many sampled sounds, the goal is to emulate non-electronic instruments, and it's _tough_ to use those flexibly as sound generators with a full-scale synth architecture. OTOH E-Mu, for instance, does a pretty good job of demonstrating how you can layer, for example, a bunch of one-shot percussion samples to produce an interesting synth sound. Would you consider E-Mu's sample-based modules (basically cut-down versions of their E4K/E5 etc. architecture), like the Kurz stuff, an exception to the rule in this way?

What I don't get is people buying/selling sample CDs made off of VAs, that seems twice-bleached and then left out in the Arizona sun to dry.

rt

Message 17/45             26-Mar-02  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: romplers

Mindspawn

ROMplers are great for "acoustic" instrument sounds when you don't have that acoustic instrument to work with. They can also do what Pongoid describes, i.e., bread and butter sounds for the "grafix muso." You can also program them if you're patient enough to get inside the architecture. "Regular" synths generally have their architecture layed out so that it's easier to get to the "programing" aspects...

I own four "ROMplers", an XP50, MC505, RS7K, and EMU Orbit. I rarely ever use the XP50 or the EMU, cept for certain pad and string bits, or the occasional "acoustic" instrument sound. I do use the 505 and the RS a lot, more so because of their sequencers (although I'm pretty pleased with a lot of the sounds you can coax from either of these boxes). However, most of my sounds are generated from VA or analog gear, largely due to the flexibility offered there. Sure my RS or 505 can do a very decent Kick drum or whatnot, but my Xbase can do the "right" kick for a particular track faster and easier, due to the immediacy of the way the machine is layed out and how it works.... Tuning the kick drums on the XP50 for instance is, at least for me, quite tedious. With the Xbase I simply adjust the pitch knob until it's sounding proper. Plus, I rarely need to do any EQ or compression on the Xbase drum sounds.

Me two pesos...

Peace

Message 18/45             28-Mar-02  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: romplers

k

ok gotcha   - oooh I love my K2 - gotta get it fixed.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 19/45             28-Mar-02  @  11:03 AM   -   RE: romplers

Pongoid

Sure, for acoustic modeling, it has to be a ROMpler. In fact, I'd love to get a Virtuosso for composing classical stuff, cuz there's no reason to try to recreate ten different violins with 10+ layers of dynamics in each of the patches, but for synth sounds, it's another story.

Ape

Message 20/45             28-Mar-02  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: romplers

david G

Link?:  No link

i suggest a prophecy for the trombones.

plus a z1 for the strings.

and an, erm, 777 for the grand piano.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)