aaa hardware or software sampling!? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: hardware or software sampling!?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 06-May-02  @  12:18 AM   -   hardware or software sampling!?

campati

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

in the discussion about soft vs hard everybody talks about how good/bad softsynths can emulate analogue synths. but what about sampling?? I actually feel more for hardware because i just like to push real little buttons and i find such a piece of equipment just cool so i am thinking buying a sampler as my first instrument(and probaly the only one cause i want to make samplebased funky house...). But now i am afraid that i'm going to waste a lot of many because you can do pretty much the same on a very simple pc... whats the opinion of experienced users of soft/hardware samplers?? thanks for the help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/30             07-May-02  @  04:44 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

influx

Link?: Link

right but the question was about getting a NEW setup going...

so..campati..thing is...since you say youre not really proficient with PCs, then...hardware is probably the best bet (maybe pick up an atari 1040 for midi?)

but...a good PC setup will just piss all over a hardware setup (assuming the PC is a solid one that doesnt crash) when you start comparing numbers

altho..shit..with the price of HW samplers dropping (I just picked up an E4k for a SICK low number) you can easily go that route and still stay in budget.

Message 12/30             07-May-02  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

damballah

well, I'd been dealing with a dying EPS for a while (and I paid like $2100 for it new way back when, so stop bitchin' all you spoiled little...). part of the way of dealing with it had been to use soft samplers and pasting audio clips directly in the sequencer, but eventually realized I had to get a chunk o' hardware, even with the advantages of keepin' it all in the 'puter. well, sequencing a soft smapler from a Q80 seems a bit bass-ackwads, too. maybe I'm just an old-timer getting too set in my ways, sonny, and need to get fitted for some depends.

true, you can pick up some second-hand hw for plasma-donation cash these days. what's NI wanting for Kontakt? US$399! You can getcha a nice chunk o' hw for than that. and resell it later if you wanna.

Message 13/30             07-May-02  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

Lava

what's NI wanting for Kontakt? US$399! You can getcha a nice chunk o' hw for than that. and resell it later if you wanna.

Funny how you have that angle on it... my view is that Kontakt is amazingly inexpensive for what it does, and is a good investment. I mean, what kind of sampling hardware are you going to get that even comes close for $399?

Message 14/30             07-May-02  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

influx

Link?:  Link

ahhh dont start.

Message 15/30             07-May-02  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

99devils

I'm still on hardware, but I'm gigging as well.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I wish I'd have gotten an RS7000 and sold the RM1X instead of getting the S6000. I think I'd rather be using software in the studio and then using something like the RS to pull it off live.

Maybe I'm just sick of lugging a second rack to fit the fucking thing in  

-Craig

Message 16/30             08-May-02  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

Brett

Link?:  No link

when I started computers were not fast enough for what I was trying to do. It's really been that way until the few past years. If I went back, I would have just bought that Trinity all loaded. You can't deny that a loaded triton gives you a great palete for creating music with loops, digital pcm, and analog modeling. Then when your good, you just gig it.
Plus you focus on writing instead of mixing, and then can always take it to a studio and let some mixer go down to adat with your tracks and mix it through some nice high end tubes. Late night studio time is cheap around here.

You learn more about mixing from being in a studio and watching, then experimenting with hit and miss in the bedroom. If I could, I would have done it that way instead of always downloading plug-ins and playing with new software all the time.

Message 17/30             08-May-02  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

knowa

I hear the "focus on writing not mixing" thing. know some cats who made better stuff with an MC-303 than after they got they're computers because they're all obsessed with plug-ins.

Message 18/30             13-May-02  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

errata

I've been using the same A3000 since '98... it's NEVER given me the slightest hassle! I would never take a computer on stage (I've seen too many prblems with that!)... Because of this I can't stand SW samplers (just too long on the racks I suppose). If I were starting out new, I'd probably go software though. It's cheaper, and more (technicaly) powerful. I would look at HW samplers down the road if I decided to play live.

I've played live for a long time and I see more and more people bringing PC's out. They're unreliable, and it's difficult to play a LIVE set with just one... (but that's for the "live" thread elsewhere on the site)...

errata

Message 19/30             22-May-02  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

Bastiaan (Hajee)

I just *love* inking lights on my a4k...I will never get rid of it. Still, when I bought it (2 years) software sampling was about to start making it's breakthrough...and then the prices started dropping like bombs on hannover during 1944 and I felt realy bad over that investment.

Anyway, like someone else said before the LESS equipment I had the more creative and productive I was. With all those softsynths and so forth all I seem to be doing is trying out yet another plugin... you don't have those issues with hardware. Sometimes the Most fun I have is me just turning on the mc303 and the an1x an jamming with just those 2 tools. Nothing else.

Message 20/30             25-May-02  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: hardware or software sampling!?

Purusha

The new Emu software sampler will be interesting since it'll also act as a front-end to the Ultra hardware. So - you potentially get the best of both worlds.

I use an e5000 - it's behaved itself admirably on stage so far.

Chris

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)