aaa OS2 - Is that it? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: OS2 - Is that it?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 12-May-02  @  06:59 PM   -   OS2 - Is that it?

chris

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Well,

Not wanting to sounds negative but...

Much as I appreciate Novation fixing the bugs - is that really all we get?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we (as promised a long time ago) supposed to be getting all the SN1's features? Doesn't that now include an option to output a part through a single output?

That seems to be at least one feature we're missing (unless I've missed it). Any more anyone's noticed?

I'm afraid I have to say that for a year and a half's supposed work, it's not very impressive guys!

Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/28             13-May-02  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Chris

Link?:  No link

Elektro - actually, I own a Supernova 2 keyboard and a Supernova 2 rack along with several other sound sources from various manufacturers. I use them regularly at home in the studio and on stage.

Apologies if I don't know every last parameter on my units (especially those I don't use very often) - I was only asking the question.

I can't remember if that option is present on the global menu. I ran through the menu last night, but can't remember seeing a knob mode parameter - will check when I get home.

Thanks for putting me right if I was wrong (I did say correct me if I'm wrong - I knew there was a possibility).

BTW - I've no problem with Nick, Kinetik or the Novation dev team, I know that given the chance they'd probably have been doing the work on the machine, but management pressure to get new models out always gets in the way. I do similar work in my day job so I know how it goes...

Chris

Message 12/28             13-May-02  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Chris

Yep - pickup mode is there in OS1.5 as well as OS2.

Not something I'd used before - guess I'd overlooked it.

Chris

Message 13/28             13-May-02  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

T

Whats this about Novation not planning futher OS updates for SNII? If this is due to customers making constructive critisisms about OS1.5 Novation should not take it personally and realise this is only part of running a company. I think Novation could avoid being pestered if they stopped making premature anouncements about OS updates, ie the anouncement they made on thier website over a year ago about OS2 being available for download any day.

Message 14/28             13-May-02  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Scorpion

All of those who bought a Supernova 2 are aware that all specs can change with out notice? Please read and understand that you bought a product that is still in progress. If there is somthing that was said in the specs that is not there when you bought the product. know that mabey they changed there mind's on it or its not available yet as its still in progress. If a certain feature is not available for the product and chances are you may not see it ever for it. Then I guess you would have to make the best of what is there or go buy a product that does support a certain feature.

Ive been wanting the Virus for a long time. but have not gotten one untill I felt for sure its pretty much complete and it does offer what I want. Dont blame the programmers of these product's blame your planning on buying these products knowing they are a work in progress. The supernova 2 is a very powerfull synth and one I dont mind getting now regardless if somthing is still missing or not. Who cares its better then most VA synths out there feature wise as is.

Later

Message 15/28             14-May-02  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Cyrex / FMC

Ok. First of all, I respect the work Novation has done for us on the new OS.
On the other hand, it's part of the service a company has to offer (bugfixes, etc).
So, my thanks to the Novation team.

Scorpion, I couldn't lesser agree with you on your statements.
All specs can change without notice?
Products that are work in progress?

mmm... when you consider buying a synth, what are the criteria?
It's sound, it's price and the specs.
Now you're saying that when the specs aren't entirely consistent with the product, it's the customer who's to blame. Because he knew he was buying a "product in development".
Yeah right... like I'm buying a Supernova II beta.
That's just bullshit.
The point is, when specs are announced, they should've been realised in the first place.
When this is not the case, the company has an obligation to it's customers to rectify this.
It's called service.

Your point should be: you shouldn't buy a synth for it's potential FUTURE specs but you should focus on what's offered the very moment you're buying it.

Message 16/28             14-May-02  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

paul

I can't believe the amount of sh*t Novation are taking over the new OS. Can't the people who are moaning be grateful for a change instead of acting like childish kids.

Its free & it sorts of some known bugs - yeah sure it could have done with maybe this & that - but you never know OS2.1 could have these.

But as they've just released OS2 then it won't be happening for a bit - So I'm happy with OS2

Instead of moaning about this & that why not ask Nick in a polite way about what else could be added to the next update.

Finally stop biting the hand that feeds you and be grateful for OS updates!!!

Thank you Novation!

Message 17/28             14-May-02  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Cyrex / FMC

Second that!

Message 18/28             14-May-02  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

gb

Link?:  Link

Cyrex,

I agree that any product should function according to the manufacturers' published specs, and that they should feel obligated to fix bugs as soon as possible.

However, the fact of the matter right now is that Novation has fixed a number of bugs as well as given us more features. The most interesting thing about the snii at the moment is what they did do, not what they didn't do.

That's why I get annoyed by all the bitching.

Message 19/28             14-May-02  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

Cyrex / FMC

I most certainly agree with you.
My post was meant as a comment on Scorpions post.
I agree with him on the respect for Novations efforts, but I disagree with some of his arguments (the specs-issue).

Ah well... this discussion has lost it's transparentcy and doesn't serve a purpose anymore.

The conclusion should be:

Thank you Novation.  

Message 20/28             14-May-02  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: OS2 - Is that it?

scrotalsack

as a recovering bitch-fest addict over the SN1's OS debacle, i can look at this situation from a "been-there, done-that" perspective.
the biggest problem Novation has, and they continue to do this repeatedly (which shows that they really ARENT learning anything from these things, which also makes me think they don't really listen in the first place) is that they keep promising these features and options that never get developed or fixed. the big difference between novation and access's OS update policy is that Access doesnt make a big deal out of features that arent avaliable yet. Access is more the kind of company that says nothing about what will be in the OS update, and then when it comes out, they are like, "Okay, check out all the cool shit we added! and not only that, but we fixed all the old bugs!"
Novation is more like, "new OS is coming! it's going to be huge! we're adding all this shit! it's going to have this and this and this and that, and this too!" then it comes out and everybody is dissapointed that some things havent been addressed, and in some cases, broken things that were fine before. to me, the simple fact of that matter is that ever since Phill left novation their online presence and userbase communication has all but evaporated. I think the fact that this whole thing about OS2 being the last has proven that. When the SN2 came out, everyone was like, Its so ing huge! it's so powerful and its never going to run out of options! now we're here at OS2, and it seems like there is nothing more. what's up with that? it seems to me like novation is copping out more than ever before, and has for the most part abandoned all these people who forked out massive amounts of cash for these uber-synths, and now they're being left out in the cold like Dolph Lungdren and Van-Damme in Universal Soldier, in favor of the massive-cash-income-up-front for the k and a-station buyers. I can't say as I blame them, however, as it is simple economics. But you all cannot say that you had no idea, as us SN1 owners have already been left out in the cold several times before. Best you can do is take a seat, smoke a J, and learn all those knobs you never messed with much because soon that's the best you'll be able to do. its still an incredible synth, so we just have to make sure we get the best amount of use out of it you can.

scrotalsack (who was promised by phill the SN1 voice upgrade "would continue to be avaliable indefinately")

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)