aaa Trance dilemma - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Trance dilemma

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 14-May-02  @  09:26 PM   -   Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello..

I have question about trance..

I've always put my snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick when I make trance.. while everybody uses the 2. and 4. kick.. someone said it sounded weird with clap on 1. and 3. kick.. but is it really wrong to do it? c'mon, it's four on the floor beat.. of course I understand that in other genres it would be wrong.. i.e. start with a snare in a drum n'bass beat..

Is it *legal* to put the snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick in trance you think? Does it REALLY matter?

Ok, unless if it's mixed a dj mixed.. cos then you'd have a snare\clap on every kick.. that is understandable, but still.. is it such a big problem.. it is 4 on the floor..

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/40             15-May-02  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?: Link

do I sense sarcasm in the air?  

I like trance.. but not all.. it needs attitude and style..

Don't like that take off trance with those crazy snarerolls and kickrolls.. they are suited for the club and not for the HIFI..

and that chillout music is just beatiful..

Message 12/40             16-May-02  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

gb

I like the kind of trance that has a melody (or musical ideas) that it's possible to remember after listening. Maybe that's not trance ?

Some dude was into what he called "Goa trance" or something like that. It was quite complex, and interesting in that sense, but after about half an hour of listening to it I couldn't remember a single thing from it.

Message 13/40             16-May-02  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

k

that's how it should be  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/40             17-May-02  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

if you can't remember a simple thing of it how do you know it's good then?

It's like when you're drunk and you don't remember anythign from the night.. how do vyou know you had a great night?

Message 15/40             17-May-02  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

xoxos

try and recreate the instance on the subsequent night?

Message 16/40             17-May-02  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

Maarten

The fact you don't remember should be enough, if it sucked donkey-balls you'd remember, no?

Message 17/40             17-May-02  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

true

Message 18/40             17-May-02  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

frostbyte

well, if you don't wake up with bruises and a couple teeth missing, you had a good night  

Message 19/40             17-May-02  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

gb

I don't see the problem here - I can remember lots of times I felt good without being able to pinpoint exactly why.

Same thing with some of the good trance I hear, I think it's well made while I'm listening to it but when I stop listening it's all gone (except the memory of thinking it was well made).

And I'm saying that my preference is music I'm able to remember.

Message 20/40             17-May-02  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

gb

I'll throw in an example, too.

I listened a lot to a CD from the "In trance we trust" series. It's the one with DJ Misjah (Misja Helsloot or something like that). Excellent mixes, excellent melodies (even tho Braveheart seemed a bit overexposed at the time) and lots of stuff that was easily remembered.

I suspect he had a lot of success with his CDs at the time. A couple of years later, I buy one of his new CDs. All the stuff is very advanced, very well made and completely impossible to remember (except possibly from a few fragments here and there).

Whether or not his development is a good thing is certainly up to him and others to decide. But it does not really seem like progress to me (according to my taste, that is).

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)