aaa hardware mixing - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: hardware mixing

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 23-May-02  @  07:36 PM   -   hardware mixing

Ghost

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

any of you out there mixing using a hardware mixer?

I've been wondering if someone would ever decide to go to a software setup after they've been using mostly hardware....

the reason I ask is that I have always imagined a hardware setup to be the ideal... just sequence the midi, every instrument is feeding into the desk, and start flipping faders and adding fx for a mixdown... I can't help but think that twisting knobs for compression and EQ settings would be somehow better.... I thought that it would also be faster to make tracks, since I don't have to record every single midi track into audio inside my PC - the midi-triggered sounds would just come in through my desk channels.... no need to render them... right??!!?

but lately all this talk about software sampling, etc. is making me wonder.... more and more people are saying they want everything inside the box, and I can see their point.... we're getting closer and closer to all-in-one sample/sequence/edit/midi and it's feckin cool...

this matters to me because if I am aiming toward a hardware setup, I will prolly buy different stuff in the next few years, and I can't decide which way to go....

any talk about the pros and cons of hardware mixing/setups is welcome... thanks!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             24-May-02  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

tortoise

Link?:  No link

My mixer is a Ramsa/Panasonic DA7mkII; its in my profile. The DA7 is easily one of the best mixers I have ever had the pleasure of using, digital or analog.

Message 12/31             24-May-02  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

Defector Z

Link?: Link

"and ghost..thing is...again...for the amount that you would spend to get a 'good' analog mixer and an array of FX you can build a SMOKING pc system, soo... "

Influx - could you expand on that? I don't see how that is possible. $1000 can get you a decent analog mixer with 16-20 inputs. If you want 16-20 inputs into your computer, you're talking a couple of soundcards, right? Or am I missing something?

Message 13/31             24-May-02  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

Ghost

yes, that clears things up a bit... I'm still trying to get my head around a couple things, but I think I get the gist of it....

it's a nice, elegant solution that suits your needs. wish I had one!!!

thanks!

Message 14/31             25-May-02  @  04:12 AM   -   RE: hardware mixing

influx

I meant mixing internally in the PC though, recording one sound at a time and then arranging from there, and using the onboard mixer and FX

so...for that grand you could build a riproarin PC, or just have a 16 channel semi-cheapo mixer and some cheapo FX.

theres just really no argument anymore

altho..still...if you keep it simple, dont use a lot of FX, and just mixdown to the PC, a small analog mixer and a couple of outboard boxes is certainly the simplest way to go.

More on how I feel about this in a couple months when I have more experience with the former.

Message 15/31             28-May-02  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

Breakerbox

If yoou are ruuning out of desktop space do what I did... Get a second hand monitor and a dual head video card like geforce mx or mtrox g400.
Total cost is 100 bucks. Still cheaper then a mixer   I run the sequencer and the transport on the main screean while i have the controls for the mixer, Vsts, Send Fx, main volume on the second screen.. works good for me. way easier.. i might even go for triple head setupwhen the new matrox video card comes out  

Message 16/31             28-May-02  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

knowa

Link?:  Link

a dual monitor set up with some sort of contoller/fader box seems dope.

Message 17/31             28-May-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

Def Z

Yeah - but you gotta go one sound at a time. that would drive me CRAZY!!! I guess I see your point, but it doesn't make much sense in the way I write and record.

Message 18/31             28-May-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: hardware mixing

Breakerbox

you need the physical surface?
I have a peavey pc1600x.. Still trying to integrate it... may be a cm motormix or logic control or houston?

Message 19/31             29-May-02  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: hardware mixing

panama

awww, So, influx is going all audio? What sequencer you going to use? Cubase?

Message 20/31             29-May-02  @  01:34 AM   -   RE: hardware mixing

influx

yeah, for now. or maybe even just acid? I dunno. Seems so far off!

Darin..thing is, tho...honestly? once you like a sound you can commit to it. You keep the midi in a folder, and just track it, and then its THERE...

its actually the way things used to be done anyway...really...get it right, then record it, THEN mix it

you work in all midi? Thats how Ive done everything til now, but...I dunno...the open doors of audio sequencing just get me all excited!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)