aaa The best way to route the signal... - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: The best way to route the signal...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 15-Aug-02  @  12:29 AM   -   The best way to route the signal...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I have a very simple question about my studio setup. I have my synths, drum machine, sampler, and guitar all running into my mixer and then to my soundcard IN. The soundcard OUT connects to monitors. I did it this way so I could hear exactly what the computer is recording into the software (Cool Edit Pro 2).

Does this sound like a good way to have my studio setup? If not why and what should I do to get the best sound out of my studio as far as monitoring goes? I appreciate all the help!  

J

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             15-Aug-02  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

99devils

Link?: Link

I'm probably not going to be of all that much help, as I've got the 01V/ADAT I/O setup.. I bring things into the mixer like they were coming from any other instrument, and I can route back at will.

I know this does nobody any good in this thread.. Just rambling.

-Craig

Message 12/31             16-Aug-02  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

heh. good stuff, huh?

Message 13/31             16-Aug-02  @  04:43 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

JJ Freqy

Sorry for the delay in my reply  I have two Behringer MX 2004 A mixers, they do me good! That's what I'm using right now.

Someone else told me to run the soundcard back into the mixer, but I still don't understand why I would do this because the way I have it now I know exactly what I'm recording into the SW.

J

Message 14/31             16-Aug-02  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

psylichon

You would know with my approach, also. When you hit the routing button (alt 3/4, buss to 2 track, whatever), it takes whatever signal you're recording out of the main outputs adn sends it to your computer. Then you monitor it through your computer, just like you're doing now, only it's routing back to your mixer. It's tough to get the head around at first, but this is the classic way of recording with a mixer.

Message 15/31             16-Aug-02  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

well then dont worry about it!

dont you have to open your soundcard control panel and adjust the volume there?

Message 16/31             16-Aug-02  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Normal

Link?:  No link

psylichon - I've got the old Mackie CR1604 (not VLZ), and with this you've got to run the main outs to the soundcard, and the alt3-4 out to the amp... the FX sends don't work for the alt3-4 bus, so i couldn't record FX otherwise.

Al

Message 17/31             16-Aug-02  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

psylichon

I see what you're saying. I hadn't considered effects. I record dry.

But doesn't a 1604 have 4 busses? Or is that only the VLZ? Isn't that what the "04" stands for?

Message 18/31             16-Aug-02  @  08:51 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

JJ Freqy

A lot of nice helpful infomation, thank you all! Now, I'm going to show how amatuer I am in the mixing depatment by asking this question:

What exactly does the BUS on a mixer do? Is it the same as the ALT 3/4 on my Behringer mixer (for all you Behringer headz)?

I hear people talking about it all the time, but I only use my mixer in the least complicated way- sound in and sound out and maybe a little AUX SEND and RETURN action. That's about the extent of it... I probably need to figure the mixer out a little better to get the most out of it, huh?

Thanks you all for your help!!

J

Message 19/31             16-Aug-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

swanofnever

a bus is just a path through which things flow; like, for bits to get from your harddrive to your pentium chip, they need to "take the bus". uh...
okay i give up.

Message 20/31             17-Aug-02  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

brett

think of the BUS as a (many-to-one) relation. all channels can send to the aux 3/4 bus you mentioned, or the stereo out bus. So a audio pathway that can have many channels routed to it is a bus. So group channels on mixers are busses, So your recording software has a virtual software mixer with it's own busses. the main stereo bus, aux's used to send to plug-in fx, groups/virtual mains etc. Your returns are just a channel to connect the aux busses back into the mixer to connect to the main stereo bus. hope that helps.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)