aaa Panning, where do u put everything? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Panning, where do u put everything?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 16-Sep-02  @  04:22 AM   -   Panning, where do u put everything?

Dale

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've started doing d'n'b stuff and would like to know where everyone puts their sounds.
I refer to panning settings like a clock face i.e. 5 to, 20 past,12 noon etc.
Do you vary the panning according to the song or do you have set places etc?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/20             16-Sep-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

milan

Link?: Link

DT is! and seriously, FM _can_ be, clubs _can_ be, any streaming is _likely_ to be... there are still enough reasons to keep your mono compatibility in check iŽd say.

Message 12/20             17-Sep-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

the best thing is to do your mixes, then always run off a mono mix too - they always used to in the old days when it was a.m radio only always in mono and it's still a good idea with the internet etc to contend with. All the sequencers now have a mono switch on the main master out so to get a mono mix down of all your tracks is a good idea & easy to do.

Message 13/20             19-Sep-02  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

j-type

Link?:  Link

if you're listening in mono you deserve everything you get...

Message 14/20             21-Sep-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

i mean if you're upping mon lo-fi mp3's... like i have some 56k ones up and today at a mates no way could it stream on a modem.

Message 15/20             24-Sep-02  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

i tell you what.. I'm getting addicted to Logic's stereo-expander plugin.... great plugin! spreads stuff out beautifuly!

Message 16/20             24-Sep-02  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

bedwyr

yup, i love it. use it to spread bvs around quite a bit.

Message 17/20             24-Sep-02  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

yeah i bet it's good for that - i've been using it on alot of guitar tracks recently and it really opens up the mix.

Message 18/20             24-Sep-02  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

bedwyr

it's only eq though right? i read about stereo spread by eq'ing things before, but never got around to it. this plug does it automatically, i wonder what it'd be like with "good" eq like waves or tc? i probably couldn't tell the difference. :>

Message 19/20             27-Sep-02  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

in fact the presets are so good in Logic I rarely bother making one... the multipresser is fucking awesome!!.. I've been just messing around with it on this rock song project thing... nothing serious ... and can get like a typical 70's beefy Sweet/Free etc rock drumsound no worries using Battery vintage kit!... bloody perfect!.. it sounds like Tony Visconti fresh out of the box!   heh heh.. phenomenal!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/20             28-Sep-02  @  12:37 PM     Edit: 28-Sep-02  |  12:53 PM   -   RE: Panning, where do u put everything?

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well streo spread you can do with two delays... how you ear hears things being 'wider'... further 'outside' you feild of hearing to the left or right is by how much delay there is between the side the sound is on and the other side.... so a sound panned left is heard more in the left ear and less in the right, but if a slight delay is added to the signal going to the right ear then the actual sound on the left seems to be further left/outside cos the brian hears that delay and equates it with being further away outside to the Left...

so you'd take a signal panned hard L/R.. and feed some of channel LEFT to DELAY 1 - then feed some of channel RIGHT to DELAY 2 - set em both at a few MS and pan delay-1 (left signal) to the right and pan delay-2 (right signal) to the left... you now have a slightly delayed version of each side being fed to it's opposite side.. now mess with the eq and delay time and see what happens... you can get some wild effects with autopans added!!

heh heh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)