aaa sub mixes - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: sub mixes

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  11:34 AM   -   sub mixes

Brett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

been mixing tracks for a while and just realized how important it is to mix your groups well. by putting my drum groups through a timeworks compressor x I was able to get the over all balance i have been looking for for ever. I individually compressed the drum tracks as needed but also run them through a soft compressor with a limiter and this solved the problems I have always had from using a 2 bus compressor and limiter where the kick got out of hand when everything else dropped out. it allowed me to have the kick stay constant and present throughout the track even when compressing and limiting the two bus. guys , your plug-ins matter. All I can say is, get your drum mix working this way, then bring the bass and all the others in after the fact and it should be solid. I had always left my bass drum out of my drum group because of pumping, but the timeworks compressor x does a great job of solidifying the drums overall in the track for everything else to fall into place when running a two bus compressor. I am sure many of you know this, but thought it was important to mention if you want a slamming kick and a heavy bass as well.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/27             25-Sep-02  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

milan

Link?: Link

mm yeah. in reply to all the profesional engineers and their assistants, i tend to compress my drums individually to ge the mix right, and _then_ group them and send them to a buss compressor, but only if i have a very good compressor at hand which is going to bring something to the sound (lets say tube or photooptical or a multiband thingy).

and re. techniques, ok, its cool to have some hard learned tricks up your sleeve which you can use, but honestly, how much time do you have to get things happening at the mix? especially if there are any musicians around? of course you have to have standard techniques which work every time, dont you... you dont start each new mix thinking "right, what do i do now"!

Message 12/27             25-Sep-02  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

bedwyr

i do, but usually it's "what the fuck do i do now?" :P

Message 13/27             25-Sep-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

milan

sorry beds, i was talking to the professional engineers here.

Message 14/27             25-Sep-02  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

bedwyr

sod off  

Message 15/27             25-Sep-02  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

lol!  

Message 16/27             25-Sep-02  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

psylichon

heheh... that's wrong.

You're right, of course. When I mix at work it's gotta be fast cause I work in downtown Philly and let's just say the clients don't have the $$$ to pay you to listen to raw tracks for an hour to get "inspired".... (not after all that weed and hennesey they bought)

I was talking when you work at home, on your own computer on your own time. We have massively creative tools at our disposal, and it's a shame to fall into the same way of doing things. That's all I meant.

psylichon

Message 17/27             26-Sep-02  @  09:03 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

brett

glad i checked back in. pretty funny Bed!

yeah, be creative , do unusually things with diferant types of tracks, but really, I have n\been working on my sound. that's right my sound. This is what was missing from my mixes. the kick was never really sitting with the rest of the drums or the mix until now. I am always using plugs for lack of outboard and because i use softsynhts and softsamplers now. The timeworks is the first software comp that has actually given me a nice analog and colored sound. Checking my settings, i had the kick and drum group comp on hard. with the limiter on as well.

K. you are definatly right about compressors messing with hats, also tails of reverb, and delay. the release has to set properly to avoid those types of boost or attenuation , which ever is the problem. I might try a c4 on the drum group and see how it does. and do a write up on what you were getting at earlier if you have some time.

Message 18/27             26-Sep-02  @  05:09 PM     Edit: 26-Sep-02  |  05:10 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

damballah

File?:  [image]

[image file]

hey. no way you've found your sound.
not without a protools rig and a home built
SSL compressor that jamey's dad etched you
a circuit board for. nuh-uh.

src=attatchments/cover.jpg>

Message 19/27             26-Sep-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

Brett

all good things in time. but this is going to do for now.

Message 20/27             28-Sep-02  @  01:09 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

lonely

where can i meet men like that?

"don't taunt the happy fun ball!"

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)