aaa Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 17-Nov-02  @  05:00 PM   -   Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

citizen_s

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

is there a difference? whats the difference? i know the XTk is based on wavetable technology, but how does that differ from modeling?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/29             19-Nov-02  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

Steve Webster

I usually wave goodbye.

Message 12/29             19-Nov-02  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

BJT

Ahh cheer up there Stevie!

Message 13/29             19-Nov-02  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

bedwyr

Link?: Link

not waving but ...

Message 14/29             19-Nov-02  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

nomad

sort of... on the XT, if you only send it 2 waves for example (maybe a square in wave 0, and a sawtooth in wave 60), it will 'automatically' create the intervening waves by interpolation. i'm not sure at what point this is done, if it's realtime or done when the wavetable is generated (i haven't done it yet, sound diver just doesn't like my computer it seems)...

but once the waves are there, there is no interpolation, true. having more waves (or making the difference between waves small) will have a similar effect though, i would think.

Message 15/29             19-Nov-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

Scott

ok, thanks for the recommendations... :-?

Message 16/29             20-Nov-02  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

BJT

Looking around, what I was on about is called,
Analyse-Resynthesis, but still there's not alot of info about it.

Message 17/29             20-Nov-02  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

BJT

(hijack I know).

Message 18/29             20-Nov-02  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

Def Z

If you're looking for smooth, the XT really isn't your bag. It can do it, but getting there can be a little work. It wants to be nasty. Bad girl XT!

Anyhow, considering the limititations of the 64 wavetables. I've yet to run out of sounds from the XT, but should you want more, you can create your OWN waves, and import them. Not sure EXACTLY how that's done, but it can me.

Regarding the Fizmo. I think xoxos once had one. They were plagued by serious build quality issues. It took 2 or 3 complete keyboards to piece together one that actually worked the way it was supposed to. And if memory serves, the company that produced them has gone under. Waldorf is still going strong, so I'd lean in that direction.

Thanks for the discussion, I know how my XT sounds, but I never really considered how it got there. :-)

Message 19/29             20-Nov-02  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

xoxos

fizmo.. some nice (odd) features and sounds, vocoder, external fx, but (besides the build issues) underpowered, ie. you won't be fming with these oscs.

Message 20/29             20-Nov-02  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: Wavetable Synths vs Modeling Synths

Scott

Someone said that the XT interpolates between any 2 waves. (that would mean the microwave II also, correct?)

Wouldn't interpolation result in smoother sound than a wavetable synth without interpolation (wavestation)? Perhaps you can turn interpolation on and off?

Scott

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)