aaa Hardware compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Hardware compressors

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  01:41 PM   -   Hardware compressors

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking to add a h/w compressor to my studio. I have some good s/w ones, but I miss the ability to compress things realtime while I'm composing and arranging. I have a nice unit (Focusrite Tonefactory) that has some simple adjustments for recording acoustic things (voice included), but I'd like to add something that has all the features. I'm looking for a unit that has the following features...

1. Full control of Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio

2. LOW LOW LOW noise

3. Dual Mono (for compressing a bassline and a kick drum simultaneously

4. $500 or less (US)

The units that have been recommended to me are the Presonus ACP-22 (I had a bluemax that was quite good and I am leaning towards them for product loyalty), a dbx160, the HHB Fat Man, a Summit box and a Joe Meek. Because I have a good mic-pre in the Tonefactory, this unit will only be used for instruments, and again, a LOW noise floor is very important. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/69             03-Dec-02  @  03:06 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

brett

a nice 160 is still going to be expensive. the 162 was the stereo version. 1000-1500. 160's go for 600-800. RNC get high props. Also don't over look the joe meek.

Message 12/69             03-Dec-02  @  10:08 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

milan

Link?: Link

yeah, everyone who tried an RNC rates them highly. .2ms is extremely fast in compression terms, i wonder how that translates to real world usage though. anyway, should be fast enough. many "classic" compressors arent that fast anyway.

Message 13/69             03-Dec-02  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

Link?:  Link

dont forget the TL audio C1

Message 14/69             04-Dec-02  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

The Joe Meek looks a little expensive though. The 160 is probably out of my pricerange as well. I'll take a closer look at those RNC's. I've heard lots of good things about them as well.

Message 15/69             04-Dec-02  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

Ive seen the SC2 for $500. rare tho

Message 16/69             04-Dec-02  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Pongoid

Well...if you talk to the right people you could probably pick up two RNC's for just over $300 plus shipping. That's four channels of compression, and I do love mine.

Ape

Message 17/69             04-Dec-02  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

true true. I scored 2 for $250 once.

Message 18/69             04-Dec-02  @  06:49 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Now we're talking.

Ape, can you tell me a little bit more about yours? You love 'em? Why? Why better than others? Is price a factor (meaning you got a good value)? or are they just GREAT compressors?

Message 19/69             04-Dec-02  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

psylichon

I've never used the RNC's more than twice, but from memory and what I've heard, they're no so good for 'character' compression. That is, if you want to alter the waveform of what you're compressing with slower attack and release (for punch) or anything else that relies on good sounding 'ballistics' the RNC's just won't pump like you want them to. They're most used as buss compressors because they're so transparent.

But I don't own one, so get a second opinion (preferably your own... go to guitar center with a CD of full tunes and individual tracks of stuff you'd normally compress and set up a little tester!)

psy

Message 20/69             04-Dec-02  @  07:07 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Cool Funklogic thingy... ^^^

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 69 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)