aaa Producing has made me a bad bad man - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  05:51 PM   -   Producing has made me a bad bad man

timothyallanmusic

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

So I saw Tiesto last night, there were hundreds of people there. Everyone was dancing their asses off, workin up a sweat, and having a good time.
Where was I? On the balcony observing, and not feelin it at all.

All he was doing was hopping around, and dropping the bass out about every two songs. He had 3 huge projectors that played a looped video that had his name spinning around all night long. The kicker was the 4 sound guys he had. 2 Huuuge mix desks, 3 laptops, and some other machine that looked right outta star trek. They were constantly adjusting stuff on the desks, meanwhile Tiesto danced around his decks some more.

2 years ago, I would have been up there having a good ol time with the rest of the folks. Last night, all I wanted to do was go home and never see that shit again. lol, I am SO JADED now. It was so commercialized and absolutely phoney. I even got in shit from my girlfriend cause I was being 'boring' heheh.

My point? Producing is becoming a very big eye opener for me, both good and bad. On one hand, I love making my own tunes, and having myself and other people enjoy them. On the other hand, I now look at 'live' shows, and DJ's in a totally different light. I have MUCH more respect for people who play their OWN music out, and don't have to rely on a 5 man sound team on $100k worth of gear to make someone elses $10 record sound phat.

Does this happen to everyone who decides to go down the yellow brick road of music production? Where you wake up and realize a lot of the things that got you interested in dance/electronic music in the first place now makes you sick and angry?

-angry tim

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             12-Dec-02  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Dunno, I find that when it is possible to focus on the sounds more, they can create a much more visceral reaction. Than they otherwise would have to the un-trained ear.

Find me dancing on the walls  

Steve.

Message 12/31             12-Dec-02  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

timothyallanmusic

Link?: Link

"i find getting ratted and jumping around like a loon to be much more enjoyable than worrying about the snare sample. "

well said.

Message 13/31             13-Dec-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

influx

Link?:  Link

heh. ratted.

dunno...I just dont often hear that much taht Im like "DAYAMNNNNNN!!!!!" about.

and when I do, I smile REAL big like

Message 14/31             13-Dec-02  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

Me too! I told a friend about this and he called me pretentious! Shook me to my foundation.... ME???

ugh

e

Message 15/31             13-Dec-02  @  02:09 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

xoxos

you can't "let go" errata? it's easy for me with greens and a bit of abstinence beforehand. pure receptivity. when it finished i'm like "..i wrote this?" what a blessing.

Message 16/31             13-Dec-02  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

operant

artist support artist thru there records..so what
if they spin each others stuff...

It's the scen that bothers me..and plus there's
only a select few I like..

I waNT DJS TO PLAY MY RECORDS, even
when they jump cause they move one fader
across the mixer...geez...the talent....

everytime i see this argument...I get defensive
to rest assure death to vinyl will never see it's
day  

ok, nuff bye

Message 17/31             13-Dec-02  @  02:23 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

opearant

but i know what you mean too by what your
saying too..

Message 18/31             13-Dec-02  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Maarten

I recognise what Tim is saying... hehe- it's been spooking me aswell. And when I hear some damn interesting things- instead of going wild and having a blast, I get inspired and just want to go home to make music  

Message 19/31             13-Dec-02  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

dARKSTATe

The damn nice thing is.. being able to go to wherever and MAKE your own tunes! Man, we (hopefully) got our album project coming back from the duplicators today, proper artwork and photography and everything... its not an ego thing, its a satisfaction thing.. knowing I started a project, worked with people, had a good time doing it and have something to show for it at the end...

Other people enjoying my music and getting into it is just the icing on a very tasty cake!!  

Message 20/31             01-Jan-03  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Kreature

So true. The more you learn the more you understand. The more you understand the more you think. The more you think the less you find yourself not thinking. The less you not think the less you free your creativity. It's a tightrope, creativity and analysis. It's a monkey, crazy and intelligent. It's a ing paradox like everything else.

You could always ditch the girlfreind, stop going out, work on the studio tan, grow a beard, eat more noodles. Or take various forms of mind-altering substances in a vian and somewhat dangerous attempt to attain enlightenment. Or, well, suicide is always an option but only for those with a strong stomach. However the best solution is probably to use your increased awareness of what's 'good' (subjective obviously) and stop going to see crappy, jumped-up, wankers ponce arround on stage. The beauty of knowing wheather you really like something is that when you do you go ape for it.

Sorry I don't have anything usefull to add.
PLUR

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)