aaa Sherman FilterBank, worth it? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 09-Jan-03  @  02:20 PM   -   Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

im trying to get some decent sounds outta my drum machine but as of right now they all sound a bit too routine. i mean ive come up with one or two sounds that i like a lot but im finding it hard to be original and expressive with just a sampler and drum machine... ive read up a bit on the sherman fb and my question is would it be a good tool to input my drum machine into and tweek the hell outta the sounds or am i better off just buying a 100 dollar cd with a buncha different drum sounds on it?

-justin

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/27             11-Jan-03  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

psylichon

Link?: Link

sm57

Message 12/27             11-Jan-03  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

...and yes the 808 has filters. on the master filter i have low boost, cutoff and resonance. pretty basic im guessing. and on the isolator i have low, mid and high. thats it.

ive been fiddling with these the last few days and have been able to do a few things that i wanted like boost the lows to give the sound more depth... but like i said before theres still just something missing. i guesss im asking too much of the sampler. im starting to wonder if i should even get an fx processor because most of the fx on the alesis im looking at seem almost petty compaired to my samplers possibilities. has anyone used an alesis fx processor and are they worth it?

sorry about all the questions... :/

-justin

Message 13/27             11-Jan-03  @  11:31 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

Influx

Link?:  Link

honestly I would say get a different sampler first

the Emu Ultras are SO ing cheap now! If youre stickin with hardware that is...same with yamaha A4000/5000

I dont think the SP808 filters are very flexible...

you should see all the filters in newer samplers!

Message 14/27             12-Jan-03  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

well its the 808 ex.. and youre right.. the filters are extremely limited... but it makes up for it in the fx processor even thought i still want more.

im not gonna spend another grand on another sampler.. the one i have right now is great for what i want it for.. at least i think it is.

Message 15/27             14-Jan-03  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

a.d.d.

don't change what's not giving you trouble citizen-s. i've tried twice now to make the jump from phrase sampler to rackmount behemoth because i let other people convince me that's what i needed to do to get to the next level. guess what, they were wrong. you can do so much with very little. right k? he's always telling us how he got tracks released with nothing more than a sh#tty old emax and some samples of a vacuum cleaner and dishes breaking. i mean if kilo can get a track pressed with that then why does anyone need a $2000 rack sampler especially now that software samplers are getting so cheap? use what's between your ears.

Message 16/27             14-Jan-03  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

influx

Link?:  Link

yahama A4000 = bout $450 used, stock

Emu E6400 ultra = bout $700 used

E4xt Ultra = bout a grand used, maybe less

yeah. NEVER change cuz others tell you to, and I wasnt trying to sell you on any change.

it sounded like the SP wasnt doin it for ya. When your tools become limiting you move on. plain and simple

Message 17/27             14-Jan-03  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

i think im just gonna go the safe rout and spend 200 dollars on an fx processor...

my sampler is a phrase sampler too. i love it. very easy to use. plus being a computer guy im more used to piecing my music together.

Message 18/27             14-Jan-03  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

99devils

Link?: Link

I'd have to agree with Influx though.. Look at the prices of used Akai S6000s and Emu Ultras, Yamaha A4000/A5000... These are far more capable samplers no matter how many effects processors you buy. The Akai S6000 can take 256 MB of memory AND read samples direct from the hard disk without loading into memory. That's limitless phrase sampling.

-Craig

Message 19/27             14-Jan-03  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

Hydrobilly

my partner has an 808, and its saving grace is in its interactivity. You can pound on it like an mpc, which is always nice. Someone needs to make a super capable sampler with some mashy big buttons, real time fx control knobs with built in Fx....and portability would be nice. But it needs to have VariPhrase like capabilities...yes that would be keen. A supersampler!

But seriously, the 808 aint bad....too bad you paid all that money for the smaller, Imac looking case...cuz you can buy and old 808, and upgrade the OS and get all the new fx, etc for free! Thats what my buddy did.

$0£!D

Message 20/27             14-Jan-03  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

"far more capable..."

how do you mean?

load time really isnt an issue other than convenience. this is for a studio not live gigs. i guess phrase samplers are much more popular for the live performances but i like the idea of phrase samplers. it just gives me TOTAL control of EVERYTHING. plus, like i said earlier, i just like piecing everything together better.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)