aaa Stable soundcard for amd build? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 27-Jan-03  @  11:11 PM   -   Stable soundcard for amd build?

hutchshop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Looking for a stable soundcard w/ 2 analog in/out and possibly spdif. I'm trying to do that budget AMD build k's been writing about. I plan to use sonar or another vst compatible sequencer.

I have read that midiman delta cards had problems with the VIA chipsets - but haven't heard anything about the KT333.

Any suggestions?

matt

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/37             30-Jan-03  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

matt

psy,

The digi 002 seems to be pretty well thought out. It operates as a basic standalone mixer so that you can work outside the computer and do your arrangement, track midi, etc, using the mixer without going into the computer. I understand the latency issues associated with a native system and I'm not expecting to be able to run live audio into PT LE during tracking.

I've actually pretty much given up on that way of working b/c I've found that I spend more time on the mix when I should be focussing on the initial arrangement, sound choice, rhythms and the like.

Another thing I've found is that with my outboard, really it isn't much, just a mixer and a lexicon mpx-1... what else do I have?? but point is I don't want to be focussing on 'the reverb' the 'the exact delay timing for a certain effect' when I'm tracking midi and working out an idea for a song.

When I'm satisfied with my midi tracks and idea for the song, that's when I want to track it and complete the production.

anyways, back to work.

Message 12/37             30-Jan-03  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

psylichon

Link?: Link

makes sense to me

Message 13/37             30-Jan-03  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

milan

heh. i just calculated yesterday that if i sell all my gear i'd be just about able to afford a digi002. the question is, why would i stil need it with no gear left? extortionists  

Message 14/37             30-Jan-03  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

influx

Link?:  Link

fack that thing. got a good audio sequencer?

get a good soundcard

you know what? RME digi 96/8. PST or PAD.

$200 if you look. thats what I paid

1/4" analog IO. SPDIF IO. ADAT IO. 5.6ms latency at 24bit.

solid. never fouls up.

SCREW digidesign, man

Message 15/37             30-Jan-03  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

milan

word up. and where do i plug my active monitors into? if you tell me that i'm off to get an rme right now... i'd still need some kind of mixer, right? and thats kinda what i was trying to circumvent this time around...

Message 16/37             30-Jan-03  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

d_matt

nah milan,

that's the point. It is a mixer. It can operate as a standalone digital mixer. And no influx, I don't have a sequencer. That's a piece of the puzzle that makes the the whole thing make sense to me since the digi 002 comes with a sequencer and plug-ins (which I have don't have either of)

Off to get PC parts to build...

Message 17/37             30-Jan-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

milan

matt, i KNOW its a mixer. so is the firestiation, in a way. but apart those and few others whats a budged mixerless solution for pc... thats what i want to know

Message 18/37             30-Jan-03  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

influx

well you could plug the soundcard outs directly into a pair of active monitors...but then you have an odd situation for monitoring

I use an MAM line mixer with 4 stereo ins,...

but to be honest Im not diggin the fact that theres no seperate headphone control

Message 19/37             30-Jan-03  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

milan

yeah, exactly what i thought. so you're none the wiser. WHY dont the h/w manufacturers wake up to this fact! we all need mixerless monitoring i/o solutions nowadays. i guess motu828 and presonus firestation do the job, but firestation is stupid expensive in europe (compared to usa at least), and i dunno if motu works with a pc...

Message 20/37             30-Jan-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

psylichon

motu.... pc.... [shudder]....

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)