aaa I'm giddy - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: I'm giddy

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 25-Feb-03  @  07:53 AM   -   I'm giddy

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Ok, how did I miss out on listening to Lemon Jelly all this time? How did this slip by my radar? Have you guys been talking behind my back about how absolutely amazing these productions are, and how I would consider it among the best music ever, and how you deemed me not worthy somehow? Or did we all miss it? Wow! If you haven't heard yet, please do. I can't imagine a soul on the planet not digging these tracks. All of em! Brilliant! Fuck me! I need to get better  

psy

p.s. - if I'm laughably behind the times please forgive me. wouldn't be the first time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/29             05-Mar-03  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

Deano

Link?:  No link

Hmm, well they ain't no Orbital that's for sure. Saw the gig last night. Not a bad show. They worked hard, did a bit of live playing (guitar, percussion, keys) and the visuals were very pretty. But the music is just a bit dull for a live show. A lot of two chord stuff over fairly laid-back beats spiced up with daft samples. I couldn't see how they were doing the backing tracks, probably h/w sequencer or multitrack. They used a Kaos Pad and a filter bank to do real-time fx. The sound was very good and all the changes were done smoothly and slickly, but the music and sounds just weren't up to it for me.
The place was packed, sold out at £17 a ticket. And for that there were no DJs before or after the show. The "support" was a game of bingo for f*ck's sake. As soon as they finished their set the house lights came on, no encore. Although I think that's more the fault of the venue than the act.

So have Royksopp made it to the states yet? They are the other ubiquitous electronic duo over here at the moment. To my mind they are musically more interesting than Lemon Jelly.

Message 12/29             05-Mar-03  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

psylichon

Link?: Link

You're right. LJ's music is pretty simple stuff... I've been listening to them a lot lately and frankly I wish they would do a bit more in some songs. Been thinking of editing some of them down.... they're such long tracks for the amount of 'stuff' that's there. But it is very feel-good music, and even though the drums aren't big or in-your-face they chug along with a certain charm and confidence and happiness that's rare in pop music today.

I'll have to check out that other duo. I'm all for more interesting things, musically speaking.

psy

Message 13/29             05-Mar-03  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

man called clay

i heard royksopp tickets were on sale but am probably going to have to pass. moments of true brilliance on their cd...though i don't think poor leno is one of them.
eple first struck me a year or so ago...my fave track on a renaissance anthems vol2002. and then they just kinda took off. for the prices charged today....it's hard for me to get too wowed up about
some of the newer acts....especially since the music seems like it could have more pulled into it.
for 40 us$ i am seeing erasure again...though.

Message 14/29             05-Mar-03  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

§ï†ÅR

"Hmm, well they ain't no Orbital that's for sure."

Who is? Had to exclamate what you said Deano. I still can't listen to them enough. Kind of a drag cuz so much other music doesn't do it for me because of my craving for Orbital's level of brilliance.

Message 15/29             05-Mar-03  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

Deano

Yeah, one thing LJ do have going for them is a sense of humour. But two blokes used to making music on their own in a studio are not necessarily going to put on a great live show, however good their albums are. Erasure on the other hand... well worth $40 of anyone's money I would have thought.

Message 16/29             05-Mar-03  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

Deano

Sitar, Even after all these years I don't think there's anyone to touch them. It's funny though there's never been a backlash against them. Usually when a "dance" act becomes that successful ( FBS, Moby, Chemical bros etc ) everyone starts slagging them off but I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about the Hartnol boys.

Message 17/29             05-Mar-03  @  06:07 PM     Edit: 05-Mar-03  |  06:25 PM   -   RE: I'm giddy

§ï†ÅR

True Deano. There's something positive, imaginative and "magical" about their music. I guess people don't think of trashing them. Most bands, somewhere in their releases, have one or 2 tracks at least with a "we're the shit attitude". That's probably what draws in the slagging from one camp or the other. I feel Orbital has always brought a positive message for their listeners. Never written music about themselves. That's what comes through to me. Even their name comes in general, from part of a thruway that became famous as a route to illegal dance parties over a decade ago and specifically was dedicated to a terrible accident that took place on it involving some ravers going to or coming from a party. Something like that anyway is what I read a couple years ago.

Message 18/29             06-Mar-03  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: I'm giddy

man called clay

wow...cool story sitar~
yes....i think the one mistake orbital has avoided is in NOT to trying to become rock heroes the way moby did.,..and bt a couple years later.
i've also read the chems say "we're just a rock and roll band" in one interview.
one thing the hartnolls are not...is cute> and they'd never pretend to be though their magic certainly knows how to play those edges when it chooses.
it's weird how much one can still pull out out of their music even years afterwards... thinking you "got it".

Message 19/29             06-Mar-03  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: I'm giddy

psylichon

Interesting how today a random stranger stops by with a client and recommends Royksopp to me. And I like very much! You're right... they're a bit deeper. But music is not meant to be compared and Lemon Jelly remains a wonderfully talented crew. It's amazing how much good music is out there though. Staggering, even. Makes you hate the radio even more knowing it.

psy

Message 20/29             06-Mar-03  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: I'm giddy

cheddar

Link?:  Link

Belfast by Orbital - write that an retire.

Psy I am sure you are on it but other recomendations would be St Germain (anything) and Radio Nova's 'Future Funk' series, bit more dancy but still working that big mmmwaaa sound

PS Didn't Moby loose it bacause Play was such a black field music rip

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)