aaa Destroy All Media - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Destroy All Media

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 05-May-03  @  11:26 PM   -   Destroy All Media

errata

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

check this out:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/05/04/IN164833.DTL

What's your take on all this you guys? Some extremely lucid points here... A good read!

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/53             07-May-03  @  05:39 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

errata

Link?:  No link

yeah, the guy is one of these bright folks who craft's good arguments without acknowledging the whole picture...

What struck me most was the bit about "damned fine music was made before the recording of music" or however he said it! What he fails to mention is that most of those great musicians/composers lived as indentured servants to their moneyed supporters!

It is a fine pipe dream... and he makes a decent point in that most artists can't make a living at it NOW!!!! so what's the harm? but I dunno... Wondering over here at where a median can be found.

Influx is sooooooooo right. It is mostly brats STEALING music and then trying to justify it as punk rock! shrug, what else is new?

e

Message 12/53             07-May-03  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

xoxos

Link?: Link

oh, influx, without a doubt, without a doubt..

did i ever tell the one about the woman in the nursery? i'm watering 15 gallon citrus so she might not have seen me.. parks her stroller, starts tickling the kid.. soon the kid ain't larfin, the kid is cryin.. then screamin.. then it goes on, and the empathic sensations i'm getting from it are like passing my first big kidney stones, the ones that rip thru your gut doubled over immobilised for hours... and she's saying.. "the tiger's got you.. the tiger's got you now.."

without pain, there is no drive   circumcision is sex conditioning.. control by sex instinct..

think about nature. how many animals destroy wantonly, not out of need? wild dogs.. wild, domesticated dogs.. human children are taught to pull the wings off flies, cruelty doesn't come naturally.

Message 13/53             07-May-03  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

errata

Link?:  No link

you've told that story before XOXOS, and it's a good one.

We're too damned smart, is what it is! Too smart for our own good!

e

Message 14/53             07-May-03  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

influx

or, so smart we turned stupid

full circle

Message 15/53             08-May-03  @  12:11 AM     Edit: 08-May-03  |  12:12 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

Donnie Smith

I used to be smart. Now I'm just stupid.

Message 16/53             08-May-03  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

Mick

How did you do that!!!

Message 17/53             08-May-03  @  03:37 AM     Edit: 08-May-03  |  03:39 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

psylichon

Argh, you non-bold-tag-ending mofo!

There. Begin 2 cents:

I've always thought that the arts go deep into poorly-understood aspects of our universe. Much more so than your average 9-5 "day job". I think (hope), one day, people will realize that you're not SUPPOSED to make gain from what you create. The only reason to do it is because it's what you want to do and that's beautiful. Perhaps the fall of the artistic industries will trickle down into more "trite" professions and society will finally realize that the race for the mighty dollar isn't the point.

The fact is that you CANNOT copy-protect information, be it a song, a movie, an algorithm, or WHATEVER... they just haven't come up with a way to make information "MINE". If this doesn't indicate a deeper, natural truth, then I don't know what does. Ideas are meant to be shared, without expectation of return. How on earth are we supposed to progress as a species otherwise?

Perhaps the reason you can't safeguard what you create is because it isn't yours. You pulled it from somewhere in the universe that belongs to everyone, and sudddenly thought you were hot shit and deserved reward for it. Your reward should be that you could tap into that unity in the first place.

Not everyone thinks like this, granted.

And I'm totally with you on the hipocrisy tip, influx. Lots of people love to spout off on a philisophical paradigm while breaking the laws of our current, physical one.... and still expecting to get theirs in the end. It's a delicate balance to live in the system given to you, and to dream in the other. It's something I struggle with daily...

psy

Message 18/53             08-May-03  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

influx

DAYAMMMMMM DUDE!!!

that was some DEEEEEP shit.

lemme go back and re-read that.

"Perhaps the reason you can't safeguard what you create is because it isn't yours. You pulled it from somewhere in the universe that belongs to everyone, and sudddenly thought you were hot shit and deserved reward for it. Your reward should be that you could tap into that unity in the first place."

man...for a skinny fuckin golf-player who wears halter tops while swinging tennis rackets you got some good insight there!

Message 19/53             08-May-03  @  04:40 AM     Edit: 08-May-03  |  04:41 AM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

psylichon

I wasn't swinging that racket. I was rocking out to The Monkees' "Valerie"

And that's no lie. Did it for my "girlfriend" on a "date" in 3rd grade... that's how cool I looked doing it!  

Message 20/53             08-May-03  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: Destroy All Media

nobody

Sorry, I meant to close the tag.

marquee tag, Mick..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)