aaa Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38% - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 06-May-03  @  09:57 AM   -   Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Worried Witch

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So, the figures are just in. According to Prime Distibution, Dance music vinyl sales are down 38% during april 02 to april 03. That's over a third. I'm a bit worried.

I knew we would get to a stage when programs like Reason would come out. The overall quality of dance music has gone up. Everybody is capable of making semi-decent tracks, even with a very limited musical knowledge. Everyone can make a drum track and master it well enough for a CDR burn routine. Then just mail it to your favourite DJ, right?

WRONG!!! Its killing us. The amount of tracks coming out that is just layers of drums/loops with a "siney" style bass line is scary. Have we reached the end of the 15 year cycle?

I mean if you look back at the history of music, right from the 1920's, there was a new style coming out every 10 years. You can chart it all. For example, lets say that Punk was in 79, dance was in 89, blah blah blah (you get the idea). Well what new style has come out in 1999/2000/2001/2002. Nothing has cos we've reached the end of the musical time line. Its over boys. It was fun but its over. Looks like we're all making Tech Songs now.

I don't want to sound bitter or twisted but really, this is it. Still dance music and the whole 1987 - 2003 thing is something to tell our kids and something to look back on with our mates.

All The Best,

A Raver/Music Lover/Dreamer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/24             06-May-03  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

influx

Link?: Link

maybe people should stop thinking they are "owed" a "living" for their "art"

jeez. could I put any more quotes around things?

Message 12/24             06-May-03  @  07:27 PM     Edit: 06-May-03  |  09:46 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Mick

Filthy and Influx may be on to something.

Remember when music was a cottage industry with regional hits? Neither do I but this pre-rock-n-roll paradigm is a historical fact. Think the scene in, "O' Brother Where Art Thou", where our three heroes record their tune. In America at least, that scene played out across the country, particularly in the east where bluegrass was paving the way for country music's popularity. Is the dance music community so above ground that such polls can be seen as accurate? Maybe that's the real problem. Maybe its time for the dance community to take a step backward in order to take a step forward. Wasn't "Chime" recorded in a bedroom (along with the rest of the first CD)?

Anyone remember the DIY ethos?

I've brought this up before but I'll reiterate that performing live will become more important for electronic musicians. Initially styles would evolve based upon the limitations inherent in the available gear used for live performance. If this becomes a significant movement within the electronic community, gear manufacturers will acknowledge the issues of those playing live on a larger scale than they currently do and market more gear designed to address the technological challenges of live electronic music.

I don't think the era of dance music is over BUT the era of the DJ may be giving way to the era of the live electronic "band". Its been happening below the radar for a few years now as evidenced by a few of our DT brethren who have braved the live electronic music minefields. Taking what they and others have done one step further, imagine six synth players and a couple of drummers (one acoustic, one electronic?), all or at least a few who can sing playing at local clubs, regional universities and locally distributing their DIY singles to DJs at traditional dance clubs and their DIY CDs to college radio stations and "locals only" commercial radio jocks.

When vacation time comes along our intrepid octet load up into a van and end embark on a DIY tour of a larger part of the country over a summer. They do interviews on college radio stations, play in every dive they can find, sell CDs and singles at the same dives, sleep on the floors of people they meet at shows, and after its all over they come home, return to their jobs and plan the next tour all in the hopes of developing a larger audience.

The above band situation should sound familiar to anyone who has ever been involved in the punk scene. The next step in the whole DIY recording thing is DIY touring. The punk community has known this for two decades, "Book Your Own #@&*!%! Life" was required punk rock, DIY touring, research material for years when Tim Yo was in charge of MRR. The grassroots nature of the punk scene has created a situation in the states whereby its nearly impossible to cite a lack of opportunity for a DIY tour. Perhaps the electronic music community needs to develop a similar model based around live performance and grassroots networking.

Message 13/24             06-May-03  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

man called clay

"I've brought this up before but I'll reiterate that performing live will become more important for electronic musicians"

actually...that was some guy named rhyze>

Message 14/24             06-May-03  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Mick

Darn you meddling kids.

I'm bored with the whole handle thing, after ten years on the net, "rhyze" has been laid to rest.

Message 15/24             06-May-03  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

man called clay

but not the bike...right?
and definitely not the mic~
head west my man>

Message 16/24             06-May-03  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Mick

Never the bike and the West is in my future, probably Glendale to start because its relatively reasonable rent-wise. Researching real estate and having gone camping there in 2001, Big Bear looks like a pretty cool place to live. Maybe get a small apartment or become a "roomate in absentia" down in LA when I'm not working on a show. I've gotta wait till the next movie comes along to finance the move though. Considering how dry Georgia has been with regard to movies, that could be some time next year. My buddy Brendan moved there early last fall, recently got into the union (695), and is doing well so I take that a good sign.

Sigh...

I could sell my gear to finance it I guess.

Yikes! Very scary thought.

Message 17/24             06-May-03  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

influx

oh dude why the fuck would you come to LA? NO NO NO NO NO! Youll turn into yet another useless academic who thinks that somehow he is rebelling while doing little more to further the cause of shallowism!

DONT DO IT! THE POWER IS TOO STRONG!

Message 18/24             07-May-03  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

man called clay

i'm overlooking mexico.....
i never got to LA unless it's to take my european friends to disneyland or.....to see the river channel.
perhaps the greatest graffiti exhibition in the world.

Message 19/24             07-May-03  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

influx

and a wonderful testament to bourgeoise opulence no less!

Message 20/24             07-May-03  @  01:16 AM     Edit: 07-May-03  |  02:10 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Mick

I really don't have a choice, LA is where the industry I work in is based.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)