aaa Software piracy: good guy gone bad? - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 13-Jun-03  @  08:36 AM     Edit: 13-Jun-03  |  09:30 AM   -   Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Mick

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Anyone who's been here awhile knows my views on people bragging about using warez and copies or looking for such on K's site but, if he's not averse to an academic discussion on the matter I'd like to pose something of a question.

Some time ago a friend of mine mentioned that his father, a very successful business man, would "acquire" software and use it over a period of months, sometimes up to a year, to determine if it was stable and truly useful to him in his business. After a period of time he would make a decision and either move on to evaluate another piece of software or call the software company and request a license and documentation. Usually he would get some sort of a discount since he didn't need a packaged product. Also, he was never challenged regarding his somewhat unusual request. Some of the things my friend attributed to his father's financial success was honesty, integrity and an unwillingness to invest money in anything that didn't work or contribute to his business.

Considering how much software for professional use costs I have a hard time being critical of this approach. In addition, the current trend of releasing software that hasn't been thoroughly beta tested has softened my attitude (I'm reminded of my difficulties when Cubase VST32 was released). The key, obviously, is in the purchase of software that one intends on keeping after a thorough evaluation. If such purchases are not made then the software determined to be truly useful will go away and the user may be forced to turn to an inferior product, all becuase of not paying up after evaluation. The flip side is that software companies that choose to foist beta testing onto paying customers would be forced to reevaluate such practice or go out of business. So, what say the good folk of DT?

I know this may sound cheesy but I'd rather this thread not continue until K gives it his blessing (hopefully he'll see it) as an academic discussion especially considering his desire to sell product through DT. And please don't get on me about even bringing the subject up if I have doubts regarding its propriety. I bring it up because I respect the differing opinions here and believe it to be especially relevent considering the proliferation of file sharing and the aforementioned trend in the software industry. If K deems it inappropriate I would hope he simply deletes the post. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/35             13-Jun-03  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

I don't know psy i was running fine then I installed fm7 used it in a track in sonar it worked fine until I closed sonar and shut the computer down. next time I opened that track as soon as i tried to modify anything I woud get a bluescreen i also had problems outside of sonar with random crashes and I didn't have the problem in sonar on tracks without the fm7. Once I uninstalled fm7 the problem went away but the track i was working on was permanatly corrupted. I reinstalled fm7 just to check and i started having the same problem. The problems I experienced after the uninstall were probably caused by me fucking around trying to fix the problem before I realised what it was. But I was experiencing a very specific problem that only happened when I was using fm7. it was an Oxygen crack by the way.

Message 12/35             13-Jun-03  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Mick

Link?: Link

K, this is the second time I've heard about the SX crack being more stable than the official version. THAT is a perfect illustration of what dARKSTATe expounded on. My initial experience with VST32 was less than inspiring then to cap it all they develope SX and seemingly cease development on VST. "That shit ain't right, that shit is WRONG!" (Chris Rock, from Head of State)

IQS is doing something interesting in that they are releasing their SAW software for $200.00 and accepting payments over time (total price is $2500.00) after filling out a simple handshake agreement form. I assume that if you find the software not to your liking you can cease payments. Its not an ideal situation by any means however it does seem to indicate a change in attitude that could inspire otheres to seek out more workable solutions.

I've wanted to purchase editing software for some time but the cost of testing full unrestricted versions of what's available would be well over a thousand bucks. That's way to much tin on the floor for evaluation purposes. So, it would seem the only thing to do would be to try the various cracks then support the company that makes the best software. Ultimatly, in the current climate it is considered stolen software until its paid for, however, when a piece of kludgy software is released whose zoomin' who?

dARKSTATe really hit the nail because the entire software industry is taking advantage of customer faith in advertising. That brings me to another matter, that of the US government's obligation to monitor truth in advertising abuses. Not that we should trust the government any more than advertisers these days by failing to do what we can to protect ourselves, with warez the the only seemingly viable means of doing that, but third parties have been charged with that duty for some time.

Message 13/35             13-Jun-03  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Influx

its really fuckin sad when folks like steinberg release such a flawed program as SX

mindyou, Ive been able to do everything I needed, knock on wood, with no problems whatsoever, so Im LUCKY...but there are quite a few people with major problems

I think SW companies should release fully functional demo versions with timeouts after say 30 days or something?

I dunno...no matter what we say theyre gonna just keep on keepin on I think

Message 14/35             13-Jun-03  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

spinback

the cracked Atari st cubase v3 was aparently much more stable than than the original. Thats what i started on, if i hadn't been able to use the cheapo crack id never have gotten into this in the first place and as such ended up giving steinberg and other companys money (cubase VST score, reason, Soundforge etc...) - so in a perverse way their bank balance benefited from my use of this crack way back........

using a 5 squid cd full of warez to make music is wrong imho (even more so if you make money from it), which is why i dont look forward to the current trend of diminishing hardware.

SpinbacK

Message 15/35             14-Jun-03  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

cheddar

wait all will become clear.

we cannot own anything (privatise the air)

software minutes, downloaded and charged accordingly

web services only 0,005c/min pages filled with them. Do not worry about software companies the time is coming

what do you want to do

Message 16/35             14-Jun-03  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

k

well FM7 requires a patch file to be sent from NI doncha know.

Message 17/35             18-Jun-03  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

n3

You can't compare evaluating software for 6 months with driving a car around for six months. There are few similarities between owned and copywrighted information, like sofware, and physical goods; most stealing and ownership analogies are flawed.

As far as bugs in cracked versions... only messing with the copy protection is how it works in theory. Sometimes the software just doesn't work as well after its been adulterated. I have seen it work the opposite way too.

Message 18/35             18-Jun-03  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

influx

heh. like WAVES?

Message 19/35             18-Jun-03  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

Mick

Did Waves become more stable after being cracked??? Considering how much their stuff costs that's pretty f*%&ing sad.

Message 20/35             18-Jun-03  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: Software piracy: good guy gone bad?

pict

Mick check this article out for an opinion of waves copy protection http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/4F0B51C39C17DA6386256B7F0077FBA6

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)