aaa Virus or Xbase - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Virus or Xbase

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 19-Sep-03  @  06:16 PM   -   Virus or Xbase

§ï†ÅR

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I've been quite out of the loop for a while. Anyone know if either one of these synths has been replicated in vst or dxi format? I think I remember a while back a s/w Virus being made solely for Protools but that's no use to me anyway.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             13-Oct-03  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

§ï†ÅR

Link?: Link

Just getting back today from playing with it. The Q IS dope. Only 4 or 5 presets but that doesn't matter. I'd have to go back to sam ash to look and listen to the Q but this ensemble seems to have all the ducks in place. 3 oscillators, FM, the filters, everything is pretty much how I remember it. The sound is fantastic, very unique which makes me think there's a good chance it's replicating the Q quite well. Would have to hear them side by side though. Just the sound I needed for the track I've been trying to finish.  

Message 12/22             13-Oct-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

milan

well thats very interesting. i guess you could listen to Q demos over at waldorf-gmbh.de for direct comparison i you want...

so people... iis reactor generally comparable to h/w then? should i sell everything and move?  

Message 13/22             13-Oct-03  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

influx

still not hands on tho, which bums me out

and you have to always be loading shit, etc etc

R4 is still acting weird for me too. Odd CPU glitches even tho I have room to spare. Even pulled up in an empty project!

Message 14/22             13-Oct-03  @  10:03 PM     Edit: 09-Nov-03  |  01:38 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

§ï†ÅR

I hope you get that sorted Influx. R4 works great for me. Reaktor has a huge sound overall. Some of the analogue synths really sound analogue. The variety of synths, grain synths, fm, sequencers, effects, and live machines is unbeatable imo. The only thing to top that is you can go over to NI and in 1/2 hour have more free synths than you can shake a stick at. I downloaded a real nice finalizer somebody made called TrilobyteV. If you haven't grabbed it yet, get it.

Message 15/22             13-Oct-03  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

influx

I really have a hard time keeping track of all that shit!

Message 16/22             14-Oct-03  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

§ï†ÅR

Just check out trilobyteV and the Q Influx. Effects and Synths sections. Both toward the top of the lists. A couple people and 1 who is knowledgeable said trilobyteV replaced TL for him. That's quite something. And the Q is what can I say?

Message 17/22             17-Oct-03  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

digital rust

do you have the latest version, influx?

i think it's 4.0.3 for pc.

Message 18/22             17-Oct-03  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

Influx

yup, sure do

Message 19/22             17-Oct-03  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

milan

so you guys are all reactor-ing nowadays? also replacing your virii with it?

to put it short- is it worth buying instead of h/w?

Message 20/22             17-Oct-03  @  09:00 PM     Edit: 17-Oct-03  |  09:04 PM   -   RE: Virus or Xbase

§ï†ÅR

It's been worth it for me. It depends on whether you like working with virtual instruments or not. I'll tell you though, Reaktor offers so much of such varied things and some of the best I've heard. It's like having every synth you've ever wanted for an initial cost of 1/2 of a moderately priced synths just for starters. Then you have drum sequencers, samplers, granular synthesis, effects, compressors, reverbs, etc etc. Then you go to the NI community library and it's like walking into a well stocked warehouse where everything is for free. But you don't have to carry them out and take them home. Just click download, put them into your ensemble folder, and your using 10 new units 10 minutes after you visited the site. The sound production is excellent.

The legitimate reasons to shy away that I can think of at the moment are what I mentioned above...whether or not you like using the computer for synthesis, and whether you have a descent puter that will run it smoothly enough. Personally I find it easier and more intuitive to create sounds on these than on hardware but that's my quirkiness I guess.

Because of Reaktor and the community library I am the proud owner of a Juno 106, a Jupiter, a Q   , several vintage Rolands, and tons of other stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)