aaa anyone going logic 8 then? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: anyone going logic 8 then?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 19-Sep-07  @  04:36 PM   -   anyone going logic 8 then?

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i think i'm gonna become a mac man finaly.. going for a test drive later - whaddya think?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/31             20-Sep-07  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yeah it was quite a rant, but i blown away

I mean how the hell should I continue working on the channel which I have just frozen to be able to get more CPU ehhh

you hit feeze and it temporarily freezes, then click unfreeze to adjust something and re-freeze

yeah 3k for the massive screen package, but it works perfectly well an imac core2 which is 1100 qith a super 24" widescreen... the screen looks big and the quality is prestine of course

anyways the big package with basic spec mac pro (dual 2.66) quad, 1gb ram, basic 250gb drive & 30" display is 3k, and works out at about 104 a month for 36 months

i spose what blew me away is that 3 grand not too long ago when DT was getting bigger, well that was what people spent on a hi end sampler!.. just a sampler. so when one compares what 3k gets you, the whole package is like an ultimate workstation.. given the rediculous included content with Logic pro, it's unbeatable and actualy it is super cheap when you see the package and compare it to what 3k would buy you a few years back

in that sense it is so worth it - if someone walked up and offered that power/package back in late 90's you'd keel over with suprise. and that monitor just takes it to another dimension, the interface is HUGE, a massive sequencer screen

anyways i think it's fair to say despite music tech site protocol of not encouraging cracks, apple blatently here with the lack of dongle are asking for logic pro 8 to be used by all and sundry, of course it'll end up online for free and they bloody well know it and know people will go out and get an imac at least... and then it's so cheap half of them are likely to buy into the real deal to get updates and be legal and get the content (the full package is alot for torrents even).

I spose what sold me was the idea that it was the same company controlling the hardware and soft.... so it is like buying a one-brand-name sampler in that respect

and another thought - the package if bundled with a cheaper 24" imac dual core is about the cost of 3 Liquidmix units and a pair of trainers.. not bad again. and even a macbook is faster than a g5

anyways, I said i didnt inted to go beyond an imac, but with their financing and after the experience of that huge sequencer display on the 30" screen it takes it to a whole new world, silly a display can make so much difference but really after coming up on lcd's and then small pc screens it is quite an experience - Despite the fact it is a 30" screen, in reality it is way bigger than a 32" TV screen, it just seems way bigger and the resolution is so fine it's like looking at a sheet of reflection-free glass

and then there's the whole silent pc issue.. the mac is 100% silent... tot up the price to build a totaly silent quad core pc and add the same screen - then check that logic is 3/5 price of cubase.. i dont think you could build a pc and beat that spec anymore whereas before with the entire G-series you could always build a pc that'd beat a mac for price/power ratio by a big margin and macs had all those memory bus issues etc so the pc would usualy outperform the mac too

anyways, it's worth a thought.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/31             21-Sep-07  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

malkytrance

Link?: Link

Hey Kilo you can save a load of money if you buy a dell 24 inch wide screen flat panel hd i got
one and it is fantastic and has connectors on it for 4 different inputs/ so 4 computers if you want i
got my little g4 hooked up to it just press a button or have pic in pic easily as good quality
fraction of the price there high def perfect picture and mine was £500, how much is the apple 30
inch £1199 phew thats another mac pro init almost.
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 13/31             21-Sep-07  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yeah but the apple 30" is way bigger, it's bigger than my 32" TV, so mebbe they measure differently, mebbe they dont measure it horizontaly??.. it seemed huge anyways.. I'll have to go back and take a tape measure and see

um yeah tho, i thought about getting 2 generic screens and tbh i could easily work on 2 x 15" flats even, and buying 2 x 19 widescreen flats to go with would be peanuts prices, but..... the experience of that cinema display, 'kin' 'ell!! - it is a shame it's so much money tho when you can get a new LG 37" HD TV for 650 quid now!

i even thought about just being happy with a 24" imac, and i might regret it tbh, but i figure if i use it for edu lessons privately it'll pay for itself, and students can sit with me easily and see things easily, plus film contacts can rent it for editing If i bung Final Cut on it..

also there's been a new development... i think my brother is gonna get it for me.. he is a big-time mac buyer and gets the VAT back so i think he might buy it for me, claim back the VAT, & i just pay him tjhe ex-vat total.. he's checking with his accountant anyways so i might get it all vat free which has to be then so worth it!

the other thing is, space.. i have so much bits all tied together and leads everywhere, i almost live in a 6 x 6 foot floor space there's so much gear here, I've got 7 keyboards all stored up on ceiling shelves cos there's no room for them for example, then there's a dat machine and a rack sampler sitting in the bedroom on top of the chest of drawers along with 2 drum machines and a tabletop synth - the bedroom also houses a big pair of main monitors and a mixer leaning against the wall, the kitchen has a marshall rig in it and 12 stacking boxes of leads, cards, parts and pc bitz, lol, it's mad!! there's just no space in London unless you are really wealthy

anyways, i have now a 'cooling off' period before i order, so i can always change my mind, I'll go back and try it again, but this time on the 24" imac screen and see, but that 30" is just... well i said it already, lol - and i think really Logic 8 is designed to use as one big screen so why not go for that rather than splitting it in half?

I kinda also like the idea to transform all the bits and pieces into a single system, with just one huge screen, a quality 8x8 i/o interface, small surround speaker system, and a smaller rack of selected 'keeper' hardware.. my bloody rack is 8 ft tall ffs!!

the other thing to consider is Logic 8 comes with so much content i wont need to get newe intel mac versions of things like Kontakt or Battery so i'll save a bit there, although i do need to get a new absynth, fm8, arturia moog and REASON - otherwise everything you need is in the box frankly

dude seriously, I'm turning into the audio/pc equivilent of that guy who used to live up the road when you were a kid... he had a garage full to the roof with bicycle bits & spares and all the kids go and he fixes their pushbikes. It's nice to help people but some living space wouldnt go amiss

Message 14/31             21-Sep-07  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

softcore

hey guys.....you could check this out

New Features in SONAR 7

SONAR 7 has many new features (some features are in SONAR Producer only). The following is a list and description of each new feature.

MIDI Enhancements:

Step Sequencer
Flexible Piano Roll Tools

Piano Roll View Enhancements:

Multiple Automation Controller Lanes
Piano Roll Microscope Mode
Note Event Colors Based on Velocity
Hiding Events in Muted Clips
Adjust Velocity without Changing the Display Type
Select Controllers within Note Duration
Show Velocity on Selected Notes (Optional)
Selection Sensitive Velocity Drawing
Note/Controller Painting (freehand)
Note/Controller Painting (linear)
Controller/Velocity Painting (freehand)
Controller/Velocity Painting (linear)
Note Split
Note Glue
Drag-Quantize
MIDI Event Mute
New Erase Tool Behaviour
Note Hit Testing Improvements
Velocity Audition Options
V-Vocal Pitch-to-MIDI
MIDI Activity Indicators

New Instruments & Instrument Enhancements:

Dimension LE Synth with Garritan Pocket Orchestra
Rapture LE Synth
DropZone Synth
Z3TA+ Synth
Rename Synths in the Synth Rack View
Delete Synth Safeguards
Reload Instrument Definitions

Mixing, Bussing & Playback Enhancements:

Sidechaining
Sidechainable Sonitus Plug-ins
Sidechainable Vintage Channel VC-64 Plug-in
Audio I/O Assignment
LP-64 EQ Plug-in
LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in
External Insert Plug-in
Copying EQ Settings
Dim Solo Mode
Allow Playback with No Data
Reduce GUI Updates to Improve Playback Performance

Export & Delivery Enhancements:

Real-time Bounce
Modification to Track Export
64-bit timeline
Sony Wave-64 Support
New Audio File Formats
Preview Bus
Integrated Audio CD Ripping
Cakewalk Publisher
Burning Audio CDs
Miscellaneous Updates:
Revert Clip(s) to Original Time Stamp
Import Audio / MIDI Files from Clips Pane
File Recovery Mode

SONAR 7 includes a new plug-in called External Insert, which can be inserted in any audio FX bin.

The purpose of this plug-in is to route audio to and from existing I/O ports in SONAR, allowing an external audio device to be effectively patched into any FX bin. This allows you to seamlessly incorporate your favourite outboard gear in a SONAR project.

The External Insert plug-in is able to measure and automatically compensate for the round-trip delay through your audio hardware (the time it takes for the audio to exit you computer, be processed by your external audio hardware and finally returned to the computer).

The new Piano Roll Microscope mode makes it much easier to edit MIDI data without constantly needing to change zoom settings. This is especially useful in the inline Piano Roll where track heights are typically sized such that MIDI notes become very small.

When Microscope mode is enabled, a transparent rounded square centered on the mouse cursor shows a zoomed in region of the Piano Roll data underneath it:

Only the work area under the mouse is zoomed in while the rest of the data retains its normal size.

SONAR 7 features an improved Erase tool that marks events for deletion instead of automatically deleting them. When you touch events with the Erase tool, the events are not actually deleted until you release the mouse button.

Events that are marked for deletion are temporarily drawn in a different color. You can choose to abort the delete operation by pressing Esc before you release the mouse button.

LP-64 EQ Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 EQ plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

Unlike traditional equalizers, LP-64 EQ provides highly accurate control of tonal balance while maintaining a linear-phase shift at all frequencies, regardless of the gain settings. Phase-shifting in typical equalizers means that audio material is shifted in time in a frequency-dependent way. Alignment of low and high frequencies may have changed with respect to one another and to the original audio material. In other words, the sound is literally "pulled apart" in time, often resulting in loss of sonic clarity and crispness. With LP-64 EQ linear-phase processing, the integrity of your audio is maintained for all frequencies, at all times--no unintended coloration, cancellations, comb filtering, or muddy transients. When a host application, such as SONAR, compensates for the plug-in's overall latency, the resulting linear-phase output is referred to as "zero-phase".

LP-64 EQ is well suited for critical mastering projects.

LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

The LP-64 Multiband Compressor consists of four high-quality compressors, each operating on a single adjustable frequency band.

Unlike typical limiters, the filters that split up the frequency bands in the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in are of the Linear Phase variety. This allows you to split up the spectrum into bands and then sum them back together with no phase errors or colorations.

Most typical limiters color the sound even if they are doing nothing, because the splitting/re-combining of the bands is done with IIR (Infinite impulse response) filters with phase shift.

SONAR 7 now supports multi-input plug-ins, which are typically sidechain plug-ins that have two inputs: a primary input and a sidechain input.

When SONAR detects such a plug-in in an FX bin, a virtual output port is created for each extra input exposed by the plug-in. Audio track, Bus and Send outputs can be routed to sidechain inputs.

Sidechaining is typically used with compressors to limit one signal depending on the signal level of another. Common applications are to reduce the level of a bass guitar when there is a kick drum, or to reduce the level of music whenever a speaker talks (often used for background music in radio- and television programs). There are of course many more applications that are not mentioned here.

SONAR 7 includes the following plug-ins that support sidechaining:

Boost 11 (Producer Edition only)
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Gate
Vintage Channel VC-64 (Producer Edition only)

Message 15/31             22-Sep-07  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yes, see other thread for my response

Message 16/31             31-Oct-07  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

so did anyone get it then? I got the cash together, then some other stuff came up, so I waited a week or 2 and then bug reports started to come though... some of it a bit worrying although it seemed to me most of the issues were with people running it on older machines or laptops... but, the deadly Logic overload message has been appearing for people with hardly anything running... I'm wondering now wether to do it or just get an old g4 to do the logic video series... as long as it can run it and capture video that'd be enuff

anyways - anyone got it?

Message 17/31             31-Oct-07  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

nutoniom

nope, still happy with VST 5/32

Message 18/31             01-Nov-07  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

heh heh... yeah i know what you mean... I did some work a few days ago (been off music rec' for a few weeks) and I can zip around Logic 5 so damned fast!

Message 19/31             01-Nov-07  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

nutoniom

Exactly. I checked SX out, but couldn't find my way around in it and I hated the wannabe mac gui

Message 20/31             19-Nov-07  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

Avene

I was looking at this Logic studio too. Could upgrade from my PC version 5.51 pretty cheaply which makes it appealing. The whole package looks pretty impressive too. But I bought E-MU's Windows only Emulator X2 a few months back, and it's killer. I'd miss that big time if I switched to Logic 8, and there's no way EXS24 could ever compete with the X2 and it's Z-plane filters, and all the other cool stuff it has. I'm also a fan of the free Nebula plugin from CM mag that emulates all the classic outboard gear. That's Windows only too. Logic 8 does have plenty to offer like the loops, sound library, all the plugins etc. Still there's loads of free VST plugins out there that probably do just as good a job.

So I've convinced myself Logic 8 isn't the way to go, but have been looking at Nuendo 4. Appears to have some killer stuff including some nice new editing features, and the upgrade from v2 isn't as expensive as I thought.

And yeah, even the old PC 5.51 version of Logic still works great. Probably the main thing it lacks is the sample accurate editing on the timeline. If you're just doing midi based stuff, it's fine.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)