aaa Sonar 8.5 - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Sonar 8.5

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 17-Sep-10  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

yay! i ordered Sonar 8.5 Producer edition. should arrive next week. i haven't upgraded since Sonar 3.xx. i can't wait til it gets here. 

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             24-Sep-10  @  04:43 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

Link?: Link

i spent this evening learning about the magic of sidechaining. for whatever reason i never caught on to why it is so important and useful. tonight i was like a little kid, making everything pump too much just so I could enjoy the effect. i was like, wow so that's what happens. lol

Message 12/26             24-Sep-10  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

and in reference to sidechaining this only dawned on me this morning....i always wondered how everyone seemed to have great, or at least good, kick drums in their mixes as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do. i never sidechained anything. as my mixes got fuller my drums began to disappear and to remedy that i'd eq them and whatnot until they became more audible. this usually meant taking a roland 909 kick drum and tweaking it til it sounded like a tin can so it would cut through the mix. i remember having snares that boomed more than my kicks. i think a closed hihat even won that competition once too. lol

have i ever mentioned, it's difficult being me? 

Message 13/26             26-Sep-10  @  02:30 AM     Edit: 26-Sep-10  |  02:33 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

worked on 3 tracks for over 12 hours today. just call me 'sidechain sitar". now that i know how it works i wish i would have known when i played sitar. i would have had a send from my sitar to more than a few tabla players. 

Message 14/26             27-Sep-10  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

question: for the life of me i can't find a way to show real time in sonar. i'm sure it's hidden somewhere. one track i'm writing is 150 bpm. i'm estimating that 150 measures of it is about 4.5 minutes. there's got to be a way to calculate it exactly though, (bpm)x(number of measures)=(length of song) but i've googled and come up empty. 

ideas?

Message 15/26             28-Sep-10  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

surely u right click in the top bars/beats horiz display? or click some icon at the end of it. there is also a smpte display u can activate

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/26             28-Sep-10  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I've tried that. I searched help for smpte. Nothing that came up looked like it would actually simply tell how to view it. I also looked in global and project options. Oh well. I'll find it. I'm surprised there's no formula for bpm x number of beats = real time, least nothing I can find. Thanks K. I'll have to right click around again. 

Message 17/26             28-Sep-10  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

k

mate just right-click on the time ruler and options should appear i'd have thought.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 18/26             28-Sep-10  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

NastyM

Link?:  No link

if i remember rightly (unfortunately i'm at work) the main timer bar thing is located in the drop down menu "view" mid to 2/3rds the way down (its a pain in the arse - as it appears to keep disappearing) if you dont find it i'll check tonight and confirm.

cheers M

Message 19/26             28-Sep-10  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

M thanks but I found it this morning. I right clicked around the top again and suddenly a different menu popped up. They call it "Position", which makes sense. I'd been looking for SMPTE. Just had to add it. Maybe it's more permanent if you do it that way. 

The other thing I can't find though is how to change how the transport responds to clicks. I don't want the transport to jump to my mouse when I left and right click. In Sonar 3 there was an option to change that when I right-clicked inside the track area. In other words, if my transport is at measure five and I click on a clip at measure 10 the transport jumps to measure 10. I want the stupid thing to stay at 5. Right now my mouse is a transport magnet. If I can't find out how to change it I might replace the the transport graph, the line, with a naked chick. At least my mouse will be a babe magnet. :P 

Message 20/26             28-Sep-10  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Sonar 8.5

sitar

I just looked again. Right click/Toolbars/Position. I've opened and closed Sonar a few times and it's still there. I can't open my Chrome browser while I have Sonar open btw. IE is no problem but Chrome messes with the sound drivers. 

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)