aaa Struggling poor artist needs help - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Struggling poor artist needs help

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 31-Jul-97  @  09:50 AM   -   Struggling poor artist needs help

FUTILITY9

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I am a dirt poor electronic musician who has
really been struggling with a lack of resources,
and attempting to make dance music regardless.
I have been stealing drumbeats off CDs, sampling them with my shitty SB16 Wavestudio
program, and looping them. I have NO (well, maybe a couple dollars - I'm stateside) money for synths or REAL samplers, so I've been mutating my guitar rig with mindblowing amounts of effects, thus simulating dozens of different instrument sounds. Though this is a cool approach up to a point (and I'm much better at guitar than actual keyboard technique - though I can program suprisingly well with inferior shit programs), but I feel the real need for more tools. I'm pretty sick of recording all my music as .wav files and having them turn to mud, so any tips on .wav manipulation, e.q.ing, or free software - or how I could get a usable virtual synth for pretty cheap - I know that there are hundreds of other things I'd like to ask, but I'll post again. Being a musician with unlimited vision and very limited resources is a tragedy. Any help that you could give me would be EXTREMELY appreciated!! Anyone who is reading this and has ANYTHING to say should respond and/or Email me. Help and contacts with fellow devotees of my chosen musical genre (DANCE) would be an invaluble resource. Well, I've said enough. As I said, I'll post again, so - thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/28             01-Aug-97  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

get a new ISP too ;)

Message 12/28             03-Aug-97  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

fUTILITY

My last message did not get posted, but, oh well. Kilo, reads your Email! I'm anxious to know what you think and if you think it could have originated here! Kilo, you rock, so I don't worry about you. Please get back to me, as running on 3.1 sucks the fat one and I'd like to get this problem solved as fast as possible!

Message 13/28             11-Aug-97  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

LuThai

I just want to say that just a month ago I was in the
same situation as FUTILITY9@aol.com. I wanted to create so
badly, but one look at equipment prices made me feel it
was only a dream. Until I found this web site. I'd like to
thank kilo for this site cuz without it I may have never
gotten started. I took one paycheck $300American and got a
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold and Cakewalk Home Studio. I then
downloaded all the amazing shareware and freeware from
this site and in less than 48hrs was pumping out trax onto
cassette. All I need now is the registration number for
RuBBeR DuCK v1.0. They haven't answered any of my e-mail.
Does anybody know if they can cash American money-orders?
Anyways, Thanks kilo.

Message 14/28             11-Aug-97  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

kilo

thankyou...this was the original intention of the site.........to get rid of this "must spend alot" thing propogated by the hardware companies.......The D-lussion boys should reply if you email them.........dont they have an order page with instructions ??.........give 'em a mail...

Message 15/28             11-Aug-97  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

nbenford

Every day my sound quality gets better, and I'm not getting new equipment. Practice is all you need. I make lots of clips and put them in SAW plus and I can play live stuff too. The amount of free softsynths in incredible! In the track I'm working on only had a Casio PT-1 (remember those, little white things?),Juno 106, Stomper, HammerHead, VAZ, Rubberduck, and Rebirth. Rebirth and Rubberduck aren't free but if you have 2 sound cards or a DAT you can record them. The track sound bloody good! The amount of things you can use for free is incredible!!!

Message 16/28             13-Aug-97  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

I'm with LuThai- after growing outta the Mac Centris 610
running SoundEdit Pro (and having to use a calculator to
synch all the tracks up b/c SoundEdit doesn't use musical
time), I got lucky when my boss paid me with a PC instead
of a check...then I charged an AWE64 Gold (discounted) and
Cakewalk 6.0 Deluxe (half-price) to my credit card...now
all I need is another hard drive because I ran outta
room! (will get that after I sell the old hampster-powered
Centris, ha!)
At first I tried a lot of tracker stuff (MOD trackers that
is) but none of them could do anything near what I wanted
to do.
As far as sounds go, I either sample from my own collection
or I a lot of times I just download. That's how I found
this site anyway- doing searches on audio samples, wav,
beats, beatz, breaks, breakz, breakbeats, snare, kick,
blah blah blah...
You know, and lo-tech is cool anyway- even the most
beautiful stuff I do has to go thru my hand-me-down
Realistic mixer- with the right VU meter busted the hell
out (got good headphones though)!

BOTTOM LINE: If I need something for either my music
(my hobby) or my art (my career), I just charge it.
Passion and inspiration can't wait 6 months to save a
couple hundred bucks! Just try to be moderate or you'll
never get out of debt- you will, however, have great
music and satisfaction.
Peace and plastic,
B-rad

Message 17/28             14-Aug-97  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

LuThai

>now all I need is another hard drive because I ran outta
>room!

I know what your saying. I think beginners should be
forwarned. My 1.6GB HD is filling up quick, all games and
unessential aps had to go. I am definetly considering
purchasing a 3.8 or 4.0GB HD next paycheck, but while I
was looking around I noticed how much CD-R drive prices
have come down. Couldn't I just back up my audio to CD-R
or should I go for the bigger HD? What do you guys think?

Message 18/28             15-Aug-97  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

kllo

huh..look.i'm getting 3 Gb drives for 125 quid......you can also backup your audio data to standard DAT.....,,,this is a gret cost saver, cos the dat also will finction in it's standard capacity.........some softwares such as SAWPLUS actually include an archive facility for realtime backup..............but if you are doing a standard dance track.sday something commercial with only a main vocal line, and maybe a hook chorus vocal as an extra, try the following:

When you have finished your mix, go to the notepad in the sequencer...(most sequencers include a notepad for track details & comments).........then, make a note of the start time of the audio for the vocal parts.maybe verse one begins at bar 33..then continues to bar 48.then at bar 49 comes the vocal hook for 4 bars, then verse 2 from bar 53 until 68 etc etc..........ok..snip and trim all the audio so that it starts at absolute bar starts, then simply export the audio across to your dat.(preferably via S/PDIF........and then, should by some strange chance you wish to remix it...simply load the sequence, and whilst refering to your notes, paste in the audio after sending it over to the pc from the dat...........

Mind you, eide drives are so frigging cheap now, you might as well get several.....as i said.....it's pretty easy to get a 3 or 4 Gb drive now for about 120 - 150 quid.so what are you waiting for !!!........and the new mode5 drives are with us now or soon, so then we get even fster timing.(not that this is relevant to dance tracks, as the total audio required should be adequately covered by 4 tracks, acheivable on a DX266 !!
ps.if you want a western dig or JTS drive for about 125 for 3 Gb mail me (London )

Message 19/28             16-Aug-97  @  05:57 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

LuThai

Damn, I better look harder. Around where I live (San Franisco USA)
HD's are going for about $100 a Gig. I've been thinking about it
though and I definetly think I'm gonna go for the bigger HD.

Message 20/28             16-Aug-97  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: Struggling poor artist needs help

LuThai

kilo, are you saying $125 dollars American for that HD?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)