aaa soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 31-Oct-97  @  03:51 PM   -   soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

kilo

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I was informed by a highly technical boffin mate yesterday, that he had wrapped his soundcard in tin-foil, and acheived a noticable lowering of noise..... you have to be careful not to short out the tracks etc........ dunno how he did it...... also, he strongly advised placing the audio card as far as possible away from the video card..... again this can reduce noise......

well, I started thinking, wether it was possible to utilise a short ribbon cable and connectors to isolate the soundcard in a box outside the pc completely..... ??..... then you could experiment with earth straps on the card to PC chassis etc..... surely this would work, as the cable would also carry the power supply too...... I'd have though it would work, as long as the cable was hort..... but maybe not......I know the Lynex sampler design ran into problems when they tried to implement the memory add on module that was connected by ribbon cable....there were timing problems....... any thoughts ??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             05-Nov-97  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

freestyle

Moving your soundcard outside your PC would just be asking for trouble...the timing problems you'd get would be horrendous. It *might* be technically possible for an ISA card - but never, never, never for a PCI card.

Oh, BTW, the shielding and termination etc. needed to keep the data intact is going to cost *lots*. It'd be cheaper (and less stupid   to buy an external sampler. ISA & PCI were not designed for either long track runs or being put through cables. That's what SCSI is for.

later.

Message 12/26             05-Nov-97  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

kilo

well, a mate of mine wrapped his in foil and it was quiter and fine......... he is by the way one of those mega computor wizzkids who talks a totally foriegn language......

Message 13/26             10-Nov-97  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

mc Hammer

come on lets get this to the top so wee can have fun on the swings and slides then on to the round about. Live so fun, but its horrible being in love when your twelve and a half.

Message 14/26             10-Nov-97  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

cant touch this

Message 15/26             11-Nov-97  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

Vanilla Ice

Bloody MC Hammer ! , thought I'd heard the last of that guy...why some bastards always have to remind us of that shit is beyond my understanding.....

Message 16/26             11-Nov-97  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

Kilo

how're the racehorses going Hammer ?

Message 17/26             11-Nov-97  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

betty boo

go away vanilla ice your so crap your film you did was crap too, wana fight?

Message 18/26             11-Nov-97  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

kilo

Betty !!...... so what went wrong after you left Rhythm King then !!?... heh heh....

Message 19/26             12-Nov-97  @  04:41 AM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Alright, I gotta say it. Vanilla Ice lives in San Diego, California, and drives a white Jeep Cherokee with the license plate 'Yo Ice!' MC Hammer still has his studio, owned by the bank, in Hollywood. A bunch of film scoring guys are waiting for them to put it up for auction.

Message 20/26             12-Nov-97  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: soundcard quieteners....wrap it and isolate

Vanilla Ice

Hang on a minute, aren't you that guy who keeps following me, asking for an autograph ?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)