aaa ESI32 or S2000? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ESI32 or S2000?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 19-Mar-98  @  08:34 PM   -   ESI32 or S2000?

Becky

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have a CS1x and am looking to get a sampler,
these 2 seem the best contenders, and are reasonably cheap...
Any thoughts?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/38             30-Mar-98  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

kid303

Yeah,i've had an esi32 for over a year now and it's a real joy to use.Excellent build quality. Mine has 32meg of ram and the 3.02 version s/ware.Buy one.

Message 12/38             30-Mar-98  @  06:20 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

esi-32's for $699 is pretty common, I've heard of $599 even. Emu's always have a great os and service is easy, at least in the US.

Message 13/38             30-Mar-98  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

kilo

agreed emu os is very easy usually....anfd they have wonderful converters.... but there were some horrific early s/w versions weren't there ?....... I do like thast asr-x tho....... I'd have to say go for that...... becuase well, i dunno....... it's got so much good stuff for dance toons..... and the resampling for me is the killer....... not that keen on the aksi tho....... i dunno...... they are all ok i reckon...... but you have to expand em all......to reall get tyem kicking..... the new asr-x comes with scsi, full synth, fx and resampling as standard.....2 out's is less of a problem when you get full synth and fx built in......with resampling, fx can easily be added to individual sounds...... I think the asr-x offers a more ready to go solution..... it's all in there already.....AND it reads .WAV and Midifiles..... THIS SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED... wheras the others need an update...and will not read .wav..... or run sequences..... ram doesnt count, cos 32mb is so rediculously cheap now.... 25 quid in the uk....... less than a secnd hand pedal.... just remeber with the asr-x.....you get a live tool too...... plus a synth.....

Message 14/38             03-Apr-98  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

jet

what about yamaha a300? it's in the same price range as far as i know

Message 15/38             03-Apr-98  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

Becky

A3000 is about $1200 to my knowledge. I've seen ESI32 for $699, someone said $599, almost half price! S2000 also $699.
By the way, reading SOS, prices seem much inflated in the UK... $1.6~1 pound, but the prices conversion seems to be $1=1 pound.

Message 16/38             03-Apr-98  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

emu's American, so that explains that, and Yamaha properly compensates for the exchange rate. The biggest difference is that stores in the uk sell for close to retail, while American retailers will sell for at least 30% less than retail (I purchased my e6400 new, when I had it, for 50% of retail).

Also, just like I've said so many times, you can upgrade the esi-32 to an esi-4000 by simply getting ahold of a copy of the os, which emu recently proved by offering it for sale for $99. But go to your local shop and do it yourself for free like I did.

Message 17/38             03-Apr-98  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

kilo

hold up tho....... the ASR-x now comes with scsi and the dance expansion board AS STANDARD !!..... and it's around for less than a K....... c'mon.... it's gotta be a better option than the esi fer fucks sake....... plus it'll read .wav files...&. midi-files...ALL YOU NEED is a cheap scsi card..... and you get a docking workstation.... with ability to read akai S-1000/1100 cdroms from your pc drive...archive, edit and manage .WAV samples & midifiles to & from the ASR-X........ and you geta 24 mb synth section. with res' filters, Lfo's envelopes etc etc...... 2 multi-fx processors........ FULL resampling of EVERY setting.....EVEN OF INCOMING AUDIO.... including any midi loops that are playing from the sequencer, complete with ALL controller moves, AND FX realtime moves as well........ I CANNOT see it being beaten... plus..... it can plug into your pc for day to day use... and then un-dock for live gigs..... are you mad to still think of any of the other 2 ??...., where SCSI is option... synthesis & filters is option..... NO resampling... NO synth.. NO playable pads... NO sequencer........ NO FX.... etc etc..... you people must be nutz to ignore it.......read the ASR-X page again.... then remeber the price is LESS than a K now in the Uk..... and the scsi & dance-board are INCLUDED !!!!!!!!!...........

Message 18/38             03-Apr-98  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

Becky

Yeah, but is it worth twice the price? Over here the ASR-x is about $1200...
Now having said that, I'm using a PC sequencer, and I don't want to shell out for
a built in sequencer which I won't be using.
And even if this thing is great, those rubber pads are crap... who came up with those?
am I supposed to hit them with drum sticks? Ok so you can ignore them...
I don't know... even if it looks great on paper there's definitely something 'square' about
this thing... like the MC303 it seems to promise 'instant' tunes, and I just can't buy anything
that's marketed with the slogan "the ultimate groove machine"...

Message 19/38             03-Apr-98  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

DIGS

Right on becky,sometimes you have to read between the lines!!I have a groovebox and it just didn't deliver everything the documentation said it would.It didn't live up to the specs!This ASR-x does seem to be quite a bit more usefull than the groovebox,but it costs quite a bit more!The standard outputs are,for me,a wonderful thing.I like to be able to process each sound individually.If you can control the ASR-x like you can a normal sampling unit then that is cool as long as the price comes down a bit!! As for the sequencer that little unit will allow you to be portable.Maybe you're on holiday(english lingo how bout that:-) and you get a bit inspired and you want to lay down some beats well you have a handy little sequencer and controller in one! Really this is what I was looking for in the groovebox,and if I can sell the thing(nobody wants it for 450.00 US)then I am going to consider the ASR-x,but most of all consider your needs!!

PEACE DIGS

Message 20/38             03-Apr-98  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: ESI32 or S2000?

DIGS

Right on becky,sometimes you have to read between the lines!!I have a groovebox and it just didn't deliver everything the documentation said it would.It didn't live up to the specs!This ASR-x does seem to be quite a bit more usefull than the groovebox,but it costs quite a bit more!The standard outputs are,for me,a wonderful thing.I like to be able to process each sound individually.If you can control the ASR-x like you can a normal sampling unit then that is cool as long as the price comes down a bit!! As for the sequencer that little unit will allow you to be portable.Maybe you're on holiday(english lingo how bout that:-) and you get a bit inspired and you want to lay down some beats well you have a handy little sequencer and controller in one! Really this is what I was looking for in the groovebox,and if I can sell the thing(nobody wants it for 450.00 US)then I am going to consider the ASR-x,but most of all consider your needs!!

PEACE DIGS

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)