aaa Dave Smith Evolver - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Dave Smith Evolver

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 03-Jan-03  @  11:38 PM   -   Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Yo all,

Just arrived today. Been playing for an hour. Yahoo!! I love new instruments. Built like a tank, the rubber foot pads on the bottom are more than ample (the teeny-tiny ones on my XT fell off within a week). No on/off button, though. Have to unplug it to turn it off. Not sure what is up with that, I may have to email Mr Smith about that.

Suffers from a painfully small 3 character LED and makes selecting modulation destinations difficult, and with the selection of characters to select from, I feel like I'm trying to read sanscrit (or however you spell that).

4 oscillators, 4 LFO's, lots of options. This thing has some serious power. Tons of routing options, and a VERY useful Delay section (2 delays). The distorsion is pretty good so far, and has a couple of neat features (output hack which mangles the sound pretty good). Very nice lowend, very round. Getting to all of the functions are VERY easy as there is very little scrolling around to be done (ala my XT with is somewhat confusing at times - some options are ONLY available through scrolling with the wheel, and others are easily accessible by pressing the same button a couple of times.) There are 2 levels to each programming option, and you can select the 2nd menu option by pressing a shift key. Very simple.

Each oscillator is fully tunable. Select from a bunch of different osc shapes. Haven't found the noise button yet, though. Will find it if there is one.

So far, my impression is somewhat mixed. My big complaint is the 3 character LED which makes selection modulation destinations tricky. As I learn what "hLP" stands for, it will become easier.

Haven't touched the sequencer yet, so far I'm just trying to make as much weird noise as possible. So far, it seems pretty easy to make some VERY good noises.

Not that anyone asked...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/23             30-Jan-03  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Dominic

I can't keep up with all these new releases. Good job I'm poor! :-)

Message 22/23             30-Jan-03  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

Def Z

Definitely loving mine. Am having some issues with it though. Solved the lowend problem. It seems that whenever I resize midi clip in Sonar, the pitch of the Evolver changes. Very strange. A guy on the Evolver yahoogroup says I should email my problem to Dave - haven't done it yet, but soon.

Message 23/23             31-Jan-03  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: Dave Smith Evolver

psylichon

Link?: Link

Try this: in 'Options' 'Project' 'MIDI Out', uncheck "zero controllers when playback stops"

I'd be curious to see if that does anything.

psy

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)