aaa raid - any point? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: raid - any point?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 28-Nov-02  @  10:58 PM   -   raid - any point?

bedwyr

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

i'm thinking of getting an asus a7v333 (coz i got an asus a7v now, and it works) but the a7v333 comes in two versions - onbaoard raid or not.

shall i bother? any point?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             03-Dec-02  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: raid - any point?

bedwyr

Link?: Link

yes, also known as "the bank"

Message 22/24             11-Dec-02  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

BJT

Link?:  No link

I thought you could use Raid to speed up reading, the hard drive that finds the data first returns it, thus reducing latency due to time needed to move the head.

Raid0 or Raid1 or something from memory.

But yeah, prolly not worth the money.

Message 23/24             28-Dec-02  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

Anex

Yeah, RAID 0 writes to two or more disks as tho they were one, hence you can read back data at (in theory, although with IDE, not in practice) twice the speed. It is also very prone to tripping up randomly and wiping ALL your data.
RAID 1 mirrors your data accross to an identical setup so again, in theory, you have a complete back up of data so if lot falls over it switches seemlessly to the other, tho it doesn't always work this way. SCSI yes, IDE no basically  
It's fun to play with for five minutes, benchmarking etc. then when you have to use it and it trips up a few times you get really f0rked off at it and give up. Best left to real computers like wot Sun make  

Message 24/24             28-Dec-02  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: raid - any point?

Anex

Oh yeah, and another vote for Abit, all my machines run Abit boards, been using them for years. All rock solid, fast and behave exactly as they should do.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)