aaa Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38% - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 06-May-03  @  09:57 AM   -   Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

Worried Witch

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

So, the figures are just in. According to Prime Distibution, Dance music vinyl sales are down 38% during april 02 to april 03. That's over a third. I'm a bit worried.

I knew we would get to a stage when programs like Reason would come out. The overall quality of dance music has gone up. Everybody is capable of making semi-decent tracks, even with a very limited musical knowledge. Everyone can make a drum track and master it well enough for a CDR burn routine. Then just mail it to your favourite DJ, right?

WRONG!!! Its killing us. The amount of tracks coming out that is just layers of drums/loops with a "siney" style bass line is scary. Have we reached the end of the 15 year cycle?

I mean if you look back at the history of music, right from the 1920's, there was a new style coming out every 10 years. You can chart it all. For example, lets say that Punk was in 79, dance was in 89, blah blah blah (you get the idea). Well what new style has come out in 1999/2000/2001/2002. Nothing has cos we've reached the end of the musical time line. Its over boys. It was fun but its over. Looks like we're all making Tech Songs now.

I don't want to sound bitter or twisted but really, this is it. Still dance music and the whole 1987 - 2003 thing is something to tell our kids and something to look back on with our mates.

All The Best,

A Raver/Music Lover/Dreamer

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             14-May-03  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

errata

None of this crap is new...

Dance Music is Punk rock, guys. There's a great feeling in burning your own cd's, printing your own labels... and selling your trax at shows! Playing live is HOW you get anywhere in electronic music. These guys who got into making tracks in Reason or Acid, they cannot cut it live. That's why so many FLEM's quit playing out... had a friend say, "It's better to DJ, Studio produced music can be so much more interesting than what you can do live!" And f+ck him for quiting, if you can't make a set that's at least as good as the DJ you shouldn't be playing out!

But 10 years ago it was all about "live" trust me, it's gotten harder over the years to get shows, not easier, because promoters don't want to accomodate the space, or effort it takes to house a live set-up. and frankly, all the e-tards don't friggin' care if it's live, so the parties we play are mostly underground, populated by people who KNOW!!! And so the pay isn't as good. But it's the only way you get up off the ground! Playing live, selling your homemade CD's... writing tracks for the stage and not the studio!

That's what electronic music is all about!

Quit whining!

e

Message 22/24             14-May-03  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

man called clay

oh shit....and stefan had me convinced it wasn't about anything but having fun in your bedroom!
damnit???!!....someone steer me straight on this...PLEASE!
i just simply hate not knowing.

Message 23/24             14-May-03  @  03:52 AM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

errata

smart ass! hehehe

You can have fun in your bedroom without electronic music!

e

Message 24/24             15-May-03  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Dance Music Vinyl Sales down 38%

bbox

"dancemusic" has turned shite since the companies started making "dancemusic" gear... record sales or not.. wont stop me from making my crappy tunes and bug dave with'em.It will come around.. may be not vinyl but mp3s/wavs/cds/orvinylagain.. who knows.. who cares.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)