aaa Those UAD-1 cards - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Those UAD-1 cards

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 02-May-07  @  03:08 PM   -   Those UAD-1 cards

nutoniom

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Well, since i'm getting adsl soon, a pci slot will become available and i was thinking of getting one of those UAD-1 project card. Is it any good ? I use mainly what comes bundled with my VST-5 in terms of reverb and dynamics. will the UAD-1 fare that much better ? I assume that it will free some of my cpu ressources, but will it do so in a significant manner or will this be marginal ? Also, i'm interested in the card because of the Nigel, wich i could use for my guitar endeavors, will this fare good against say, Amplitube 1.1.1?

thanks for any pointers

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             05-May-07  @  08:04 AM   -   RE: Those UAD-1 cards

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

I think... (!!!) this depends on the host as well. As far as I know the clip indicator in most plugins indicate the possibility of the clipping, that could happen in a 24 bit (??) environment.

In ableton I have a 32 bit floating point audio path (just like in SX) and that can handle these excess levels... I guess in the RTAS version of the plug the clipping led makes sense, and also in logic.

Message 22/24             09-May-07  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: Those UAD-1 cards

nutoniom

Well, after fucking around my settings and back again, i've managed to change something, because it now works very nice. I just can't remember what it is that i've changed

so, no processing pci card for me. I think i'll go for another delta and get myself some more inputs.

Message 23/24             09-May-07  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: Those UAD-1 cards

rags .aka. welder

ASIO Buffer size maybe? Too small buffer can increase load on the CPU, although it shouldn't be that significant ...

Message 24/24             09-May-07  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Those UAD-1 cards

k

Link?:  Link

y'know, when you add it all up and then look at protools ICON budle deals it starts to look quite good value if you consider the commercial advantages in being able to ffer PT HD.. sure, even if you have the premises all nice and fixed up you still gotta add a decent mic's locker, 5:1 monitoring system and any extras like 40" plasma or LCD screen for video, a new g5 and screens etc, and even then prolly a few choice bits of outboard and eq for add ons would be required, but an HD3 system with 3 x hd 192 racks and command24 with the extra 16 fader banks and all the freebies thrown in is 30k (ex VAT), which seems like alot, but in a commercial setting over a long term lease or loan plan doesnt seem so bad, and i spose you dont have to have 3 X HD192 racks either really, but at least with 192 capability it'll stay relevent for a few years, i cant see clients wanting to record even at 96k tbh.

choices eh... i was looking at AWS900 today, 50k a pop!, nice! works as a controller tho too, lol

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)