aaa The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

11-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 14-Feb-99  @  06:26 AM   -   The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I saw the OS 3 specs and hadn't noticed much of anything concerning the rectification of the noisy, "clicking" sounds the Novation Supernova makes when the effects on the unit are placed at a slightly higher setting.

This also was brought out in the KEYBOARD review Zon Pyles did on the unit early this year.

Is Novation going to concentrate on making the effects of the Supernova cleaner or is all the concentration now falling to the more affordable Nova Synth?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             24-Mar-99  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Paul

Stevoe, absolutely spot on.

It's entirly obvious from discussion groups like this and others that most people read a couple of reviews in magazines and then buy the product mail order from the cheapest possible source.

People buying in this way should just not be complaining about a product they don't like. If you are prepared to spend £1000 pounds on something you are not prepared to even try then please buy your next car from me.

I only bought a synth like this on one occasion and I was lucky, my Waldorf Pulse is great.

If you are going to buy a synth of the calibre of the SN then you should give yourself at least a couple of hours in front of the unit (with a sequencer because its multi-timbral), trying out the presets and knocking up a sound or two of your own.

You need longer really as any new synth usually sounds great at first. It takes time to realise the true potential of any synth and, judging by the ridiculously long kit lists you often see, most people never do.

I've tried out the SN on a couple of occasions and it is a great synth. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Of course it does not have 8 PCM480's built in. If you bought this unit expecting to become the next big techno act in three months then your just being naive. You could knock out a top techno track on an SR16, DX100 and CZ101.

I get the feeling some people are just venting their frustration that buying a new synth did not actually allow them to demonstrate the huge talent that is obviously only held back by lack of equipement.

Now, can I have a two-part, four note mini-nova for £299 please. The cost of the SN and N doesn't put me off, they are just more than I want to cope with in one box.

Paul

Message 22/24             24-Mar-99  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Haz

I agree completely - I'm amazed at how many posts I've read from people whinging about having to wait so long for OS3 or how the effects are not up to scratch etc. I've been having so much fun with my SNV as it stands with OS2 installed - it's a superb piece of kit. I love creating new arpeggiated patches that evolve and modulate over time, perhaps with MIDI sync'ed delays, then layering two or three such arpeggios over each other in performance mode. I've been able to create sounds and rhythms which I wouldn't have been able to or I wouldn't have thought of doing otherwise.

One comment I would make though - perhaps it would have been better if Novation had done an incremental release (i.e. 2.1) to fix the minor bugs that are in OS2, before embarking on any major new features. However, not many companies these days offer you bug fixes as well as completely new features for FREE....which is great.

I hope OS3 won't make the SNV more difficult to edit, by adding a zillion parameters to the effects etc - that's one of the SNVs real strengths...it's a doddle to program and everything is very accessible. There is beauty in simplicity - so please Novation, don't over-engineer it...life is too short to spend precious time tweaking the air-humidity parameter of some new mega-reverb algorithm!

Haz

Message 23/24             24-Mar-99  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Phill

Thanks for the comment...

The Reverb has been enhanced but as you so rightly point out there is a beauty with simplicity...To this end the reverb has a "Type" parameter intead of "Size" with different reverb simulations available...the only addition is a Colour Parameter.

The focus is simple but effective...

Phill@Novation

Message 24/24             24-Mar-99  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: The SHITTY effects on my SUPERNOVA and OS 3

Mickey

Simple and effective - what comes to mind:

* A loop parameter for the env2 and env3
* Filter tracking with user defined center key
* Key tracking to LFO speed ==> "real" FM

... read more on

http://supernova.home.pages.de

Sorry - couldn't resist :-)

Mickey

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)