aaa Roland SP-808 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Roland SP-808

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 29-Apr-99  @  09:47 AM   -   Roland SP-808

dan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

A guy is selling his SP-808 for $750, and I was wondering if thats a good price for it. Also does anyone have an Sp-808 or have used one , can tell me if it's worth it. I'd appreaciate the advice, Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/25             04-May-99  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

Al

jcu3 - sending the loops to an editor is basically how we've been working, though haven't got the output board, so i'll get the loop in Cubase or something, cut it up, pitch it, etc, then sample it back into the 808....there are some real nice FX things you can do, that i can't do on my PC. But even with the digital I/O, doesn't that defeat the object of an all in one box. I mean, if you've already got the PC, then you might as well have a normal rack sampler. We haven't got a proper sampler, just a PC, so the 808 is getting a fair bit of use, but you could do better for the money.
Incidently, the guy who owns it also plays in an indie guitar type band, basically as their drummer, but using the 808. It seems to be suited quite well to that, and it doubles up as a digital four track for demos. I think i'm basically saying that it's not a peice of shite, but it's not the all-in-one dream box Roland made it out to be....but then there probably isn't an all-in-one box to do everything you want.

Message 22/25             04-May-99  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

jcu3

Sounds awesome. I like that it also syncs to MIDI too. Sounds pretty powerful.

Disclaimer: " This is my opinion, although I could be wrong"

Message 23/25             04-May-99  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

jcu3

Sounds awesome. I like that it also syncs to MIDI too. Sounds pretty powerful.

Disclaimer: " This is my opinion, although I could be wrong"

Message 24/25             04-May-99  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

planetalgon

Al: So, what if you want to record say a big long track off of your computer that you have already arranged. Do you store that as one long "sample"? If you did, it seems like it would start falling out of sync within a few bars. Do you have to chop up that long sample into little ones in order to keep the sync straight for 8 minutes?...Or does the SP-808 know the timing of the whole sample. If you tried to do a very long drumtrack on a regular sampler, you would HAVE to chop it up. How does the SP-808 handle this?

Message 25/25             05-May-99  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Roland SP-808

Al

So far i've never had to record more than 16 bars with one track to the 808, so no syncing is needed.....just loop it with the same tempo (maybe adjust very slightly, which can be done automatically). It does sync up alright if you need it to tho. It gets a bit harder when you want to record a track from the 808 to the PC....for arranging, mastering and burning to CD. You then need to chop the track a bit to makesure it keeps time, but that's not really a problem...especially cause we do real broken beats, so a millisecond of silence or two isn't really noticeable, especially when it's only one track of eight.
I think maybe i'll try recording a whole 4-5 minute synth track into the 808, tho I reckon i'll have to sync them then. I do like the sound mangling possibilities, and some of those FX can add real atmosphere to the track....which i'm kind of lacking with my current setup.
Al

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)