aaa hard drive system ? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard drive system ?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 16-Jan-03  @  03:35 PM   -   hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi !
Has any of u ever used an ATA 100 RAID card (onboard or additional) to record tracks via a soundcard ?
I now own an Echo Mia (not installed yet), and I'm thinking about how it would work (how many tracks, how fast), with such a disk controller...
Usually, they're used for servers...
Any hint about that ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/26             18-Feb-03  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

Link?: Link

6 stereo tracks @ 16-bit/96k is about the same as streaming 26 mono tracks @ 16/44.1. While this is feasible with your system, I wouldn't expect it to perform all that great with your specs. 26 tracks of loops or small clips perhaps, but not contiguous streaming tracks.

I would DEFINITELY consider running at a lower sampling rate if I were you. 96k is nice, no doubt, but the overhead for it is a bitch. I'm sure you'd rather get some mixing horsepower for your buck. and upgrade to Sonar!

psy

Message 22/26             18-Feb-03  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

ooooh, pro audio 8, i remember now! try fiddling with your sync options. you can sync playback to MIDI, smpte, audio, or internal or something like that. Some audio cards work better when you leave it on internal timing, others like it when you sync to audio. Give those a shot. I had to use internal sync with my DSP Factory in CWPA8.

psy

Message 23/26             20-Feb-03  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

well, i'm curious....

Message 24/26             20-Feb-03  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

k

Link?:  Link

yeah but... that 'soundcard gradualy fizzing and then decaying' thing was also a problem midiman had with XP correct?

marian - remember the huge SoS thread about their cards? - can you try another card possibly? (borrow one mebbe?) - and have you installed all the VIA (if via chipset) patches?... there's a new 'all in one' 4:1 driver for all VIA sets available at their site - (one of which is the via busmaster controller which does drive transfer tasks. However, the card is the end destination for data being streamed so if that's buggered in some way it'll reduce track rates as will a crappy card or a crappy driver

is your card in slot 3 ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/26             25-Feb-03  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

Kazhul

Link?:  No link

Slot 3 ? Hu ? I'll check it out ! I guess it's not, but the main thing is that there must be no IRQ share, isn't it ??? :-)

4 in 1 ? Hum, no, I guess I've not installed this ! Never had to, or thought so... Gonna check it on ;-)

And I can't borrow another soundcard (but my cheap soundblaster), 'cause I'm the only musician among my friends :-(

Should be a software bios update, this 4 in 1 ?
For VIA chipset ? Hum, right... Let's hunt on the web :-) I'll keep in touch, thanks to all of u !

Message 26/26             25-Feb-03  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: hard drive system ?

psylichon

so the different sync options in cakewalk didn't help? I really had high hopes that was it.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)