aaa sub mixes - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: sub mixes

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  11:34 AM   -   sub mixes

Brett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

been mixing tracks for a while and just realized how important it is to mix your groups well. by putting my drum groups through a timeworks compressor x I was able to get the over all balance i have been looking for for ever. I individually compressed the drum tracks as needed but also run them through a soft compressor with a limiter and this solved the problems I have always had from using a 2 bus compressor and limiter where the kick got out of hand when everything else dropped out. it allowed me to have the kick stay constant and present throughout the track even when compressing and limiting the two bus. guys , your plug-ins matter. All I can say is, get your drum mix working this way, then bring the bass and all the others in after the fact and it should be solid. I had always left my bass drum out of my drum group because of pumping, but the timeworks compressor x does a great job of solidifying the drums overall in the track for everything else to fall into place when running a two bus compressor. I am sure many of you know this, but thought it was important to mention if you want a slamming kick and a heavy bass as well.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/27             30-Sep-02  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

Link?:  Link

this also introduces the interesting thing that often dance is constructed and steered by whatever has been applied technicaly, with grouped compression, introducing certain elements into the mix might cause the compressor to treat other sounds differently, changing the feel or emphasis of the pattern... that in turn will influence other parts added empathicaly to whatever already is there... a compressor can drasticaly change a clap or has from a single percussive sound to a swaying back-n-forth pumping percussive sweep sound etc...

That's why for newbies it's NOT a good idea to work on stuff and 'then mix'... mix as you go along always.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 22/27             30-Sep-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

Ghost

Link?: Link

...interesting thread.... good info.

let's say you were using a multiband compressor on a drum submix.... anyone have advice on where to split the bands, or how to decide where to split the bands?

any comments appreciated...

Message 23/27             30-Sep-02  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

milan

use your ears

Message 24/27             01-Oct-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

Link?:  Link

uh-oh!.. I tell you one great way... d/load or get the cd for a few demo s/w's with multiband comp's inside or for actual posh 'upper-ware' multiband comps, and study the presets' bands... that's a good start.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/27             01-Oct-02  @  01:53 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

Ghost

ha! good one milan....:P shoulda expected it!!

thanks k I think I'll do that... test drive a few and see what it does....

Message 26/27             01-Oct-02  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: sub mixes

psylichon

I'm not sure how good an idea it is to "mix while you go" though.

I never get a track finished when I do that. I think it's best to focus on the creative side of it first (obviously with an ear towards the final mix), and then dive into the technical side. Obviously there's a fuzzy line, and as you start the mix, more musical ideas will come. But if you get caught up with compressors as soon as you lay an instrument down, I think you get yourself in trouble.

psylichon

Message 27/27             01-Oct-02  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: sub mixes

k

Link?:  No link

no no mate - cos the comp might pump the rhythm differently changing the emphasis of the beat and suggesting a different thing to be added next... serious... just listen to your basic grooves over and over and you'll start to hear new lines being created psycho-acousticaly, like you can hear a new melody/pattern which is not actualy in the track... don't you get that?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)