aaa Sherman FilterBank, worth it? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 09-Jan-03  @  02:20 PM   -   Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

im trying to get some decent sounds outta my drum machine but as of right now they all sound a bit too routine. i mean ive come up with one or two sounds that i like a lot but im finding it hard to be original and expressive with just a sampler and drum machine... ive read up a bit on the sherman fb and my question is would it be a good tool to input my drum machine into and tweek the hell outta the sounds or am i better off just buying a 100 dollar cd with a buncha different drum sounds on it?

-justin

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/27             14-Jan-03  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

hydrobilly...

you cant just buy a new casing for it??

Message 22/27             14-Jan-03  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

99devils

Link?: Link

Far more capable... Can you load up a piano patch and play it across an 88-key keyboard? Do you have 30-odd filter types? Do you have a 4-bus effects unit? 256MB memory? 64 MIDI channels? 128-voice polyphony? Crossfading and layering? USB so transferring samples from your PC to your sampler is almost instantaneous and with no hassles? Hard disk? 16 outs?

Shall I continue?  

I'm not trying to pick on you but there's a huge world of options when you've got a proper sampler.

And also, if I were a studio rat and had no interest in playing live I'd use software for sampling. There's almost nothing you can't do in Sonar natively that you can do with a phrase sampler.

-Craig

Message 23/27             14-Jan-03  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

youre making my sampler sound like shit. > 

really out of everything you listed id only be interested in the onboard fx processor and the layering capabilities.

what youve mentioned about other samplers is all well and good and im sure youre right about there being LOTS more possibilites... but we're kinda getting off the topic. im just interested in enhancing my drum sounds right now. starting from the ground up.. im going for my drums and sweeps/leads (with my microKORG. god i love that lil bastard!) then ill get into the heavy stuff.

my original thought was to get a fb cuz someone i work with has one and he loves it. get the fb and run my drums through it for fx but the more i read into it the more an fx processor made sense. how did we start talking about samplers anyway?? lol :p

Message 24/27             15-Jan-03  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

99devils

Because,(not trying to offend here), if you put frosting on a cake made of shit it still ain't gonna taste good  

That's a little extreme, I know. But like I said before.. With a proper sampler you could try different filter types (individual filters per voice), you could layer other drums sounds, you've got the effects built in, you could more easily experiment with detuning, etc..

If you're set on your 808, then I recommend you fire up the PC, get a hold of Stomper, or at least a big library of drum hits, and something like Sound Forge.. Then start paying until you get the right drums sounds. Then put them in the 808. Another thing you can try is to make the drums using your MicroKorg. VA kick drums rule  

-Craig

Message 25/27             15-Jan-03  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

milan

to confuse you even more, i just turned on my FB today after not using it for a while. nasty, dirty, gritty, and filthy as f***!   like hounds of hell chewing you up then vomiting you back out half digested with all the other bits of rotten flesh from their bellies. might not be exactly what you were looking for  

Message 26/27             15-Jan-03  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

citizen_s

"Because,(not trying to offend here), if you put frosting on a cake made of shit it still ain't gonna taste good"

lol ass. :p

the 808 ex has 4 different channels that you can add fx to or not at your pleasure. ummm. maybe if i can run the exact same drum kick through all the channels at the same time and add the filter to each one that may simulate layering....?? hmmm. im just gonna hafta be creative.

anywayz. that stomper program. i just downloaded it but im at work and i cant really test it out yet. it looks like a cheap but useable little program. are there any plug-ins for it or is it a what you see is what you get program?

Message 27/27             19-Jan-03  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: Sherman FilterBank, worth it?

hydrobilly

I dont think you can buy a new case for it cuz the newer one has a scaled down design internally im sure. But if you had done that you could have saved about 600 bucks.

$0£!d

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)