aaa Supernova: good or garbage? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Supernova: good or garbage?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Nov-98  @  03:36 AM   -   Supernova: good or garbage?

Joe mama

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

What is the deal I been hearing there are a lot of problems with the box..Users please fill me in before i spent my blood money.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/27             29-Dec-98  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

thesignus

Supernova is, without doubt, the great analog modelling synth with a lot of features and power.

But, there is one question: how will Supernova fight against the Korg Z1, especially with the greatly reduced price of Z1 which is about 2400 DEM with tax (approx. 850 GBP or less) while Supernova price is about 3600 DEM with tax (1300 GBP)?!? It is true that Supernova has 16 voices, 8 multitimbral parts, 8 effect processors, 8 outputs and flash ROM but it is “only” analog modelling synth while Z1 is (and will be) then best physical (not only analog) modelling synth of this time.

Yes, yes - Z1 has 12 voices, 6 multitimbral parts, less powerfull effect processor and not such a cool name like Supernova but these are not essentials. Voices of Z1 are much, much, ..., much more powerfull and expressive with their 13 oscillator types (including both synthesis and imitative models such as standard analog, comb filter, oscillator sync, cross modulation, ring modulation, resonant oscillator, variable phase modulation, plucked string model, bowing string model, reed model, brass model, drawbar - organ model, electric piano model, etc.), up to 2 different oscillators + sub oscillator + noise (with own filter), excellent modulation possibilities with 50 (or so) sources and destinations, 2 wave shapers, 4 LFOs, 6 EGs, 2 mixer paths, 2 filters with 5 types each and 3 combinations - all this per voice and with hundreds of parameters. Additional 6-voice board is available, too - even with this board installed Z1 is cheaper than Supernova. About effects - maybe Z1 hasn’t 8 of them but there are more types and their quality is significantly better then on Supernova. And it has excellent keyboard (velocity + aftertouch) with realtime controllers and big display which is worth to mention. The arpeggiator of Z1 is multitimbral and polyphonic, too.

I wondered why Supernova has 8 effect processors and 8 outputs. Wouldn’t it be better to make two outputs and sold additional 6 output board separately? Or transfer the power of effect processors to more synthesis techniques? And what about 300 or more arpeggiator patterns? I don’t see much use of them, except for fun. Memory on Z1 can be expanded with relatively cheap PCMCIA cards which give us hundreds of patterns and sounds. And ADAT optical digital interface can be installed, too.

Don’t get me wrong - I like Supernova very much and don’t want to promote Korg. If the price will be about 2000 DEM (700 GBP) then I’ll surely buy one (together with the Z1) but with this price I bought only the Z1.

This is not a question whether some synth can emulate everything and everyone - the question is: “Does this synth have a soul?” And bot Supernova and Z1 have one (big one), but the soul of Supernova is slightly expensive. That’s my oppinion, don’t laugh too much.

Hrast

Message 22/27             29-Dec-98  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

puff daddy

Stop writing such long forum letters, they are boring to read

Message 23/27             30-Dec-98  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

Boring?..Don't read

Message 24/27             05-Jan-99  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

peterkadar

I porbably will get a Z1, but not because it's better than the snv, but because it's available in Canada. I really hope the snv will become available here soon, because, I would love to get one regardless of the Z1. I think that the 8 outputs is amazing, and overall the design seems almost flawless. Congrats on all your hard work, and the positive response from the press, I look forward to actually being able to try one out sometime.
P.S. The Z1 and FS1R are very innovative instruments as well, but are also different from the snv. We live in a good time for gear.

Message 25/27             11-Jan-99  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

Phill

Interesting statements...

Is it garbage?

It just won "Best Synth" in Future Music's Readers poll.

Is it better than the Z1? Not at solo violins admittedly...but for Analogue synth emulation in my opinion definatley.

Try listening to both...I am confident you WILL hear the difference.

I am sorry about the lack of availablity in Canada...we are dealing with this...

Cheers,
Phill@Novation

Message 26/27             24-Jan-99  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

peterkadar

Phil,

I was just scanning through and found the above statement that you are looking into Canadian distribution. That makes me feel a little better. I look forward to playing this synth someday.

Message 27/27             25-Jan-99  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: Supernova: good or garbage?

Phill

Contact Novation USA about distributionin Canada.

Phone Number is on the USA page of this site.

Phill@Novation

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)