aaa thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 02-Dec-97  @  06:46 PM   -   thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

bizarreboy

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I've been seriously considering getting a vocoder for sometime.I've played with the roland-can't think the name and it was like a dream.I've also heard that the moog was good too,but expensive and hard to find.Any help would
be appreciated.
Bizarreboy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/28             12-Feb-98  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Hey, I've got an audio in on an old Roland, and I was wondering how vocals would sound thru it as opposed to a vocoder... I don't have a mic, see...

Message 22/28             17-Feb-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

As far as the audio in, you don't get the "mesh" of synth and voice, as you do in a real vocoder. It does however produce some nice effects, with voice, drum loops, or whatever, since you are basically processing the input thru the filter on the keyboard.....try it, but it's no vocoder.

I currently use the SE-70 with a Juno-106 as the synth input....works pretty good. I had used an SH-101 as the synth before, but the 106 gives poly, and the HPF on the 106 helps for more "recognizable" vocals. I just did a gig with a guy who was using the SVC-350 (Roland)....and now I know how much the SE-70 is *not* a vocoder. The Se-70 is pretty decent (plus you get all the great fx from it for TB-303 overdrive etc), however, I *must* get the SVC-350......that's the shit!

One quickie here: What is everyone else using for the synth input for their vocoders and stuff? As I said, I use the 106, but the guy who had the SVC-350 on my gig was just using a sine wave from a JV-880 (or so he said).....anyone?

Message 23/28             13-Mar-98  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

Well, it's almost been a month, now......anyone?

Message 24/28             13-Mar-98  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

Johnny

I use SAW CHORDS most of the time, some times I even use drumloops.

Why? You wanna sound like a Sylon?

Message 25/28             27-Mar-98  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

self_osc

You CANīT use a sine wave as a carrier signal, because the sine have no harmonics over the fundamental, and the vocoder needs that as the basic sonic material for band-filtering and dynamic amplitude modulation of the band "slices" by the amplitude of the correlated bands of the modulation signal (i.e.:your voice)

Message 26/28             27-Mar-98  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

self_osc

The new Zoom FX processors (model 1201 and another that I canīt remember now, really low prices) can hold the basic vocoder tasks with very good quality.
Also they have a bunch of cool, non-standard FX like ring-modulation, low-fi algorythms, etc.

Dan

Message 27/28             27-Mar-98  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

hilliard

Yeah....as I said, the guy who had the SVC-350 "told" me he was sending it just a sine wave from the JV.....so he could be full of it...dunno. I get my best results with a pulse from my Juno-106, using the HPF on a pretty high setting (ie less lows). The "saw" actually sounds fuller, but the pulse seems to give more "intelligent" speech....more recognizable......not actually smarter....hehehehh.....also a little bit of "noise" helps the "SSSS" sounds, too....ya just gotta watch the full chords with that one...it can get a little too "noisy".

The VF-11 from MAM supposedly has it's own osc on board....wonder how good it is. I want to try this vocoder, but no stores near me carry it...I'll have to mail order it and hope it's ccol.....anyone tried it?

Message 28/28             25-Apr-98  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: thinking of getting a vocoder any suggestions

mentalu

the mam vf-11 kicks some serious a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not too much $ but not cheap well worth the money
11 filters
built in tuneable osc
mix of original, effected, and osc sources
too phat for words

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)