aaa Big mistake... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Big mistake...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Aug-00  @  07:32 AM   -   Big mistake...

hemarve

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I recently bought a M-Audio DiO 2448, with digital/optical I/O. I knew it did not have any analogue inputs, but I thought -Ok, Iīll just use the digital input for recording into my sequencer then.

This was a big mistake, since none of my gear has a digital output!

Is it possible to record analogue sounds into the computer with this card?
In that case, how do I do it?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/28             31-Aug-00  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

Link?:  Link

Ville, the Fostex vm 04 is available for 3995 swedish kronor, and that is $423, ?475 and Ģ290 at the current exchange rates.

This is pretty much for a 4 channel digital mixer, isnt it?

I just donīt know what to do:
1. Buy me a Delta 44 and disable/disconnect the DiO 2448 until I need it.
2. Return the DiO 2448 and buy a Delta 66 (lots of money lost because of my mistake)
3. Buy a cheap digital mixer.
4. Buy the Hoontech AudioDSP24 -ADC/DAC (which I really cant afford).

Iīm not gonna use more than 1-2 external units, I want it all to be in the computer. As simple as possible, I just want to start the computer and load the song, not have 5-10 external units to configure before I get going. That way, all my inspiration will be gone when Iīm ready to begin!

This is why I am moving away from my MIDI setup, it didīnt fit my style of musik-making, really.

Message 22/28             31-Aug-00  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Why get an external digital mixer when you want to keep it all inside the PC? That doesn't make sense. Seems kind of silly to have 3 cards when you can get one to do the jobs of all three, but when you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Get the Delta 66 - or 44. Whats the 44 - 4 analog i/o's? The 66 has 6 analog i/o's? I'd do that, if I were you.

Message 23/28             31-Aug-00  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Big mistake...

influx

or if you like Maudio and want both digi and analog then you could get the Delta 66. that has both dont it?

also..if you DO buy a DAT machine, you can use it as a D/A converter...just go IN analog, and OUT digital. my cheap ass panasonic did it...

OR, just get rid of that soundcard you have, get a full spec sound card with analog and digi IO (preferably SPDIF AND Optical) and analog IO, too...

then get a "real" midi interface. theyre not so expensive anymore...you like Maudio..check out Midiman then...

Message 24/28             01-Sep-00  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

Sure, I could return the DiO 2448 and buy a Delta 66, but then Iīll lose the optical I/O that is on the 2448. And a shitload of money, I might add.
And the Delta is expensive (like everything else around here), the 66 is Ģ421, ($613, ?687) and the 44 is available at Ģ290, ($423, ?474).

Does that seem expensive to you guys?

At this point, I feel like going for a Delta 44, and disconnecting the DiO 2448 until I get myself a DAT or something that requires digital I/O.

Your advice is welcome, as always...

Message 25/28             01-Sep-00  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

You haven't mentioned what other gear you have?

Defector Z: surely he must at some point connect the outputs of computer and say synth... right?

myabe i'm repeating myself but:
Yep digital mixers are expensive but buying new card at the price you maentioned isn't very cheap... besides do you think you'd need mixer at some point? so...

With digi mixer you could connect analog outs from your outboard gear to mixers digital out... no fuzz when dealing with several cards less load on your PC.

I've necer used DAT. Could someone tell me it's pros? couldn't you do same with writable cd drive? whole lot cheaper.

Message 26/28             01-Sep-00  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

Defector Z

True - but it sounds like he's only gonna 4 outputs at most. The Delta44 has 4 analog in's, and that should cover it. An outboard mixer will be necessary if you want to route the outputs to a DAT _and_ monitors, but you don't need a digital mixer for that.

Message 27/28             01-Sep-00  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

k

but there are loads of stereo dac/adc boxes around you can bolt on to that DIO card... try midiman for one, but what is MORE important is wether it's drivers are good enuff to get lo latency and really get to use the system in realtime for monitoring

Message 28/28             04-Sep-00  @  05:38 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

This is my gear at the moment:

AKAI S2000 (For ANYTHING  Mostly drums)
Roland Juno 106 (For cool analog sounds)
Kawai MIDI keyboard (For clean instrumental sounds)
Alesis Quadraverb GT
An old 8-channel analog mixer. (Not perfect sound quality though)
Jackson Electric Guitar and Hughes and Kettner amp. (I suck at guitar, itīs just to make the list longer ;)
Technics stereo system with 12" woofers for monitoring. (I mostly use headphones though)
SONY CD RW , before I can afford a DAT.
The DAT is better in live situations, a CD is more instabile. Thatīs my reason.

I do not plan to have more than 1-2 external units connected to the computer at the same time, I want most of the mixing to be done inside the computer, like I said. That is why I wonīt buy a digital mixer. Yet.

I will get most of my money back if I return the DiO 2448, so I will probably buy a Delta 66 and put some (a lot) cash in between. That way, I will still have digital I/O and no more than 2 cards in the computer. Sooner or later Iīll get a MIDI interface instead of a SB 128, but until then... I think Iīll manage.

I donīt need a dac/adc box to further complicate things (drivers & such crap 

Anyway, THANKS for all the useful information lads!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)