aaa Which motherboard for audio PC? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 30-Jul-00  @  11:33 AM   -   Which motherboard for audio PC?

emergencyone

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Can anyone recommend a board with a 133MHz front side bus, six PCI slots, 1GIG max ram or higher and Ultra Wide SCSI? I've looked at the Intel SE440BX just because it's compatible, but I'd like something more expandable and powerful...

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/37             18-Aug-00  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

k

well, when the funds all arrive that is exactly what i want to do - test out boards & chips etc with hardware - and build lists cos remember we too are looking for stable systems... now, we have a stable vst system for the hoontech to supply, but they dont recommend anything athalon or 133mhz wise, (although they tried it ok with a celeron 500ish apparently & got an easy 30 tracks), so you can see, we need to make some experiments. hopefully we can acheive that to even a small degree as it is important.

Message 22/37             19-Aug-00  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

Link?:  Link

i should be done with my new pc at the end of this month, i will buy the soundcard last, probably brend new hoontech, the company sells them over here in Washington(state) told me if it doesnt work they will refund me. So we will know if this setup doesn't work (with the athlon overclocked and the asus motherboard) so people wont do the same fault I did, and if it works... it would be a guideline for people trying to build a cost effective pc. And if kilo is down, i would put up an article about it with pics and stuff too.
I think people should build their own pc, believe me...
if you can hookup your jacks to your mixer and can do splits on your sampler, building a pc is much easier. And you save money, and don't get the components you don't need like built in soundcards on bunch of manufactured pc's , and don't have to deal with the pre installed progs.

Message 23/37             19-Aug-00  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

That article iago posted doesn't say anything wrond with K7?
So whats the deal people talking about Athlon cpu's.. because it is cheaper doesn't mean it's bad.

Message 24/37             19-Aug-00  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

k

it's cos of the chipsets the athalon uses not the actual chip that is or can be the problem, although this was some time ago, but it might still be a potential risk to a smooth system... we all know by now that ti takes about 1 year for drivers and programmes to actually iron out probs when new PC hardware spec's appear. and remember they write all the proggies and drivers on and for Pentium boxes...

Message 25/37             19-Aug-00  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

iago

Why shouldn't that change though? And if people did some rigorous testing with music kit at the start hopefully the problems would be ironed out sooner.

Message 26/37             19-Aug-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

The way i compare them is to check out the tests from computer gaming sites, because they run quake3 for 12 hours to test the system stability, i know it is a game, but it use all the components to their fullest.off coure that doesnt say anything about streaming audio from the harddrives, but athlon systems are as stable as intels.
and about scsi-ide thing, 1 second of 16 bit 44khz mono(sigle channel) recording is around 600kb (0.6mb), and if you have a 66 ultra ata drive which means it can stream up to 66 meg in one second, that gives you 100 channels to record (math 66 divided by 0.6), off course it is not gonna work that way since the speed also depends on the hd speed and where the data is recorded on the drive surface... but anyways, you should be at least be able to get 50-60 channels with decent fx... so why do you need a scsi drive ? and scsi drives have more compabilty issues then ide drives...and expensive too.
so if I am wrong tell me why.

Message 27/37             19-Aug-00  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

iago

Onboard SCSI isn't vital... But IDE control (despite bus mastering protocols) still take up more CPU cycles than SCSI controllers. Also SCSI is useful for external CD burners (which are more reliable and portable - check out the new generation of 2x capacity, 8x CD-RW burners). Plus bigger cases are more expensive (natch) - you will want at least two hard disks to store the swap file and hard disk audio on respectively (maybe 3 if you are using Gigasampler). AFAIK, IDE devices are generally internal beasts (if anyone knows better, let me know, because I am in the market for an external CD-RW at the moment - would get a Spressa 10x6x32 with bundled Wavelab but no ext SCSI version).

Message 28/37             22-Aug-00  @  06:25 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

yeah you are right about the scsi advantages, but i don't think it gives you that much for what you paying.

Message 29/37             22-Aug-00  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

99devils

I've never seen an external IDE device.

-Craig

Message 30/37             22-Aug-00  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

cause there is none, altough you can get a parallel port conversion kit which is a box that you can put an ide drive inside and hookit up your pc's parallel port, probably they have usb ones out too, i don't know how good they are...
in my situation, i don't think i need a scsi setup, i am gonna have the 2 pcs networked that gives me total of 8 ide devices1 for dvd, 1 for cd-r, 1 for zip, and i got 2 hds.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)